MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Straightening of selected curve points

21 Jan 2018   [#1]
Hi,

I was wondering if there's a way to straighten a selection of curve points?

Here's an example of what I would like to do automatically in MoI, if possible:

I tried to establish a construction line in order to snap the points to that, but I can't seem to create a construction line between curve points. In stead the point from which I try to drag a construction line starts moving.

A way to automatically straighten the points would be easier, and would be very useful to create tangencies between curve points that can not be not lined up horizontally or vertically, because in those cases you can use the Align command.

Thanks,

Metin

———————

visualization • illustration • animation • 3D (print) design — https://metinseven.com

Image Attachments:
Points_straightening.png 

21 Jan 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Metin, you can use the Transform > Move command to do that.

Select the point you want to line up between the others.

Run Transform > Move.

For the base point snap on the point that you want to move.

For the target point, drag out a construction line between the other 2 points and then snap the target point on that line.

The dragging type move won't work for this both because it's awkward to create a construction line in it and also when dragging it won't snap onto other control points because that tends to make it easy to get points stacked up right on top of each other which degrades the quality of the curve.

At some point I'd like to see if I can get the Transform > Align command to also work with a custom direction instead of only horizontal/vertical.

- Michael
21 Jan 2018   [#3] In reply to [#2]
<< For the target point, drag out a construction line between the other 2 points and then snap the target point on that line

<< then snap the target point on that line

What is the best target ?
Middle Help Line, Perpendicular Help line, or any on Help Line ?
Because there are several "Snaped cross" who are "created" on the Help Line!
21 Jan 2018   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Pilou,

re:
> What is the best target ?

Whatever you decide makes the shape how you want it. There isn't any automatic "best" way to position control points, it's up to your own judgement.

- Michael
22 Jan 2018   [#5] In reply to [#2]
Thanks Michael, a useful tip. I hadn't thought of using the Move command for this.

"At some point I'd like to see if I can get the Transform > Align command to also work with a custom direction instead of only horizontal/vertical."

That would be very welcome, thanks in advance.

Regards,

Metin

———————

visualization • illustration • animation • 3D (print) design — https://metinseven.com