MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Move edge of solid?

5 Jan 2018   [#1]
Hey Guys,

MOI basics question...didn't see an answer on the forum...

Is there a way to move an edge of a solid after being trimmed, as in the Rhino screen shot below. Without the extra steps of separating faces > rebuilding faces > rejoining the object.

Thx.

Image Attachments:
Rhino_edge.png 

5 Jan 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
nope
5 Jan 2018   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi mat, sorry no there isn't any way set up in MoI to do that type of edge editing right now, I'd recommend using Rhino for doing that particular task.

- Michael
5 Jan 2018   [#4]
Not for the moment but it's funny to use
- Polyline
- Extrude
- Boolean Diff

5 Jan 2018   [#5]

Image Attachments:
ca2168a2d7112ff044d6bcf8cd1d1736--vinyl-signs-wooden-signs.jpg 

5 Jan 2018   [#6] In reply to [#3]
Hi Michael,

Any chance we'll see something like that Rhino edge function in MOI V4? Really nice to be able to move edges on the fly.

I also tried the "chamfer/single and 2 distances" in MOI...in an attempt to get the same affect.

Left example chamfered (not in 2 distances), but only when the inside side recesses where chamfered. Right example yellow edge won't chamfer or fillet at all.

Thx.

Mat

Image Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 9.12.19 PM.png  Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 9.12.19 PM.png 

5 Jan 2018   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi mat,

> Any chance we'll see something like that Rhino edge function in MOI V4?

It's probably not too likely - it's kind of a weird function that can make strange lumpy results in many cases.

It's more common for CAD programs to have a "Transform face" function rather than transforming edges. That will probably require a new geometry library to be implemented in MoI for that to happen either though, so I'm not sure when.

- Michael
5 Jan 2018   [#8] In reply to [#6]
To get the same result in MoI, you could draw a triangle profile, extrude it, and then boolean it like this:

- Michael
6 Jan 2018   [#9]
It's not exactly what shows my previous video ? ;)
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8767.4
6 Jan 2018   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Oops sorry Pilou, yes it's the same thing.

- Michael
6 Jan 2018   [#11] In reply to [#10]
Absolutly no problem! :)
6 Jan 2018   [#12] In reply to [#8]
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the vid. Understood on how to make that example cutout with multiple steps. I was more interested in being able to quickly move that edge up or down from a quick one step iterative perspective. "Hmm, too high, too low, ahh just right"...click. Done. Quick work flow. It's a nice feature in Rhino and Fusion 360. I'd just prefer not to the to stop MOI, jump over to Rhino to slide one edge up/down, stop, then jump back over to MOI...if possible.

Understood that MOI is not set up like that. I can dream though! ;)

I was hoping Chamfer 2 Distances would work on that front edge to quickly play with a chamfer angle...but no go there either. It'll only do a 1mm fillet or chamfer...not sure why. Top edges of the rectangle allow for chamfer 2 distances. Is it that the shape has been trimmed already on that lower front edge?

Thx.

Image Attachments:
Edge.png 

6 Jan 2018   [#13] In reply to [#4]
Hi Pilou,

That's how I would have done that too. Was hoping for a quicker one-stop-shop method.

Thx for the vid.
6 Jan 2018   [#14] In reply to [#12]
Hi mat,

> Is it that the shape has been trimmed already on that lower front edge?

I think it's because this is a more complex area to handle, where the side wall surfaces need to be extended, rather than just having areas trimmed away:

I do hope to be able to improve that in the future but it's going to require a lot of work with integrating a different geometry kernel so I'm not sure when that will happen.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
mat_chamfer.jpg