MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Hów to ?! > Rail Array

3 Jan 2018   [#1]
Dear MOIers, I´d be happy to get some tips from you how to achieve the following :

The object "Gem" should multiplied and arrayed along the two rails in a way, that the red square
of the Gem-object touches the rails on the 4 edges - 2 points on each rail.

Thanks TOM

Attachments:
file.3dm

Image Attachments:
file.jpg 

3 Jan 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Tom, it would probably help if you could post the 3DM model file as well.

Do you want the gem object to deform at all or do you want it to only be moved and rotated? If you don't want any deformation I'm not sure that there is actually any possible solution to the problem as stated, if the rails are not planar and have different lengths and different tightness of bending in them.

If you want them to be deformed you could try building a surface between the rails using Loft or Sweep and then use Transform > Deform > Flow.

- Michael
3 Jan 2018   [#3] In reply to [#2]
>>Hi Tom, it would probably help if you could post the 3DM model file as well.<<
I had uploaded it but sth went wrong - should be attached now !>>Do you want the gem object to deform at all or do you want it to only be moved and rotated?<<
The gem should not be deformed.>>If you don't want any deformation I'm not sure that there is actually any possible solution to the problem as stated<<
It seems to be difficult and that is why I decided to ask for ideas>>if the rails are not planar and have different lengths and different tightness of bending in them.<<
Ís there a solution if the rails keep exactly the same distance from each other ?
3 Jan 2018   [#4]
Make a straight ribbon with wished number of gems.
Name it

Loft your 2 curves

Then you can now use the Flow function! ;)

Of course adapt the base rectangular surface as you want for obtain your wished result!

3 Jan 2018   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi Pilou ! The gems should not be deformed but keep their shape ...
3 Jan 2018   [#6] In reply to [#5]
If your rectangle ribbon has the same length and width than original curves lofted maybe deformation will be insignificant!

Use Unwrap curve for have their length http://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5136.1
3 Jan 2018   [#7] In reply to [#3]
Hi Tom,

> Ís there a solution if the rails keep exactly the same distance from each other ?

I'm not really sure but it doesn't seem likely if the rails are non-planar.

If the exact rail distance is the same as the side of your square it might then be possible to put ruling lines between the rails but if you then try to put 2 corner points on one of those ruling lines, the other side isn't going to touch the rails that are constantly bending.

I just don't see how it's possible to have all 4 corner points all exactly touching a rail, probably the best result that you could get would be some kind of very specialized shape fitting function that tried to reduce the distance the corners were away from the rails.

- Michael
3 Jan 2018   [#8]
Seems to be that my idea / approach itself was wrong and that it is just
impossible to achieve what I had put in my mind.

Thank you both Pilou and Michael !
3 Jan 2018   [#9]
Maybe another solution
Build a median curve from your 2 original curves

Array Curve your object

There is also Copy (an object) to Points http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#CopyToPoints
but not sure the orientation will be always good even you take the center of gravity as your curve is some circonvoluted! ;)
3 Jan 2018   [#10] In reply to [#9]
>>Maybe another solution
Build a median curve from your 2 original curves
Array Curve your object<<

I tried that did not really work>>There is also Copy (an object) to Points http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#CopyToPoints
but not sure the orientation will be always good even you take the center of gravity as your curve is some circonvoluted! ;)<<

Good tip, will have a look !
3 Jan 2018   [#11]
I think a way to go will be to create a zigzagged edged curve to embed the gems which
follows the contour of the original curve.
3 Jan 2018   [#12]
There is an ArrayGem script.
- B
3 Jan 2018   [#13] In reply to [#12]
I have tried it for my purpose but did work as I expected, will have a look again.
3 Jan 2018   [#14] In reply to [#13]
Hi Tom,
I used the array gem command to get the following result.
I lofted between your 2 curves to give a surface.
Produced a curve in the middle of your 2 curves using the iso tool .
Added a base diameter to your gem and then ran the script.
Hope this helps.
Barry

Image Attachments:
Arraygem.png 

3 Jan 2018   [#15] In reply to [#14]
Looks awesome - possible I made a mistake when I tried out the arraygem !
3 Jan 2018   [#16] In reply to [#15]
Hi
Same result here
I join the 3dm file
4 Jan 2018   [#17] In reply to [#16]
Thank you for adding your file, Finema - great !