MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Curvy corner help

1 Jan 2018   [#1]
Hi,
I need a little help. I try to build a tablet with bevelled AND curvy corners like you can see on the attached images. I also atached my file so far. I did the seide profile and extruded it but dunno how to get the curvy corners now. I also tried to use loft but without success. May someone push me to the right direction?

Thanks
Sascha

Attachments:
eckentest.3dm

Image Attachments:
coner1.jpg  coner2.jpg  coner3.jpg  coner4.jpg  coner5.jpg 

1 Jan 2018   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hello Sascha,

the fillet fails. Ok, but it creates a surface you can use for a trim. So create all the failing fillets. Then trim the body with the surfaces created by the fillet function and delete the useless fragments. Then trim each of the fillet surfaces with the rest body - it's now a joined surface. Remove while trimming the useless surface fragment. After that, join the surfaces with the joined surface to a solid.

Or you can use here a second solid and use Boolean - intersect.

Create a rectangle and enable round corners. From one to the opposite vertex of your geometry. Choose a radius. After That create a extrusion. Now make a intersection of both solids.

Have a nice day
Karsten

Image Attachments:
1.png  2.png  3.png 

1 Jan 2018   [#3]
Hi Sascha,

i would try something like this.

Draw a rectangle in the top view, fillet the corners and then extrude the rectangle.
After that draw a side profile and then do a boolean diff with it.
Once you have a similar shape like shown in my picture (the remaining grey part)
fillet it again with the smaller fillets. Well just a thought.

Regards
Stefan

Image Attachments:
Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-01 um 19.34.04.png 

1 Jan 2018   [#4]
Hi Sascha,

o.k. i used your model as guide, to obtain your models dimensions and then applied
the technique which i described previously. For the large corner fillet i used a radius
of 1 and for the small fillets i used a radius of 0,05 (G2). Hope this helps.

Regards
Stefan

Image Attachments:
Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-01 um 20.46.18.png 

1 Jan 2018   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Wow, thank you guys. Both works for me! Meanwhile I played around and found a third solution - but not as smooth as yours - I did an extrusion with path. Maybe I can achieve my goal with that method, too. But finally I used Stefans way as fastest and best working for me.
Thanks again.

Image Attachments:
better-result.jpg  path-extrusion.jpg