MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: wrap a neck label on bottle

16 Dec 2017   [#1]
Hi,
I search the best way to wrap a neck champagne label on the neck bottle.
I've used flow without success.
I join a file with neck and label
Thanks.
16 Dec 2017   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Finema, for Flow you need to have a base surface and a target surface. You're missing the base surface, it should be a plane you place underneath your objects that you want to deform. Once you have that plane positioned, select just the objects you want to deform (not the base plane yet), then run Transform > Deform > Flow. When it asks you to pick the base surface then you pick the base plane and the location where you pick on it is significant. You want to click on it somewhere like this:

Then when you click on the target surface, the location that you click on it is also significant and is used to control how the base and target surfaces are aligned with each other. So you want to click on the target surface in a similar spot like this:

That should then give this type of result:

- Michael

Attachments:
bottleneck2.3dm

Image Attachments:
finema_flow1.jpg  finema_flow2.jpg  finema_flow3.jpg 

16 Dec 2017   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael
yes i do that
but my problem is the label don't turn perfectly (like your example).
If i use the diecut of the neck label and I cut it out of paper and put on the real bottle > the ends join together
that turn correctly
I can't reproduce that in MoI
Thanks
16 Dec 2017   [#4] In reply to [#1]
Hello Finema,

you have to create a nearly undevelopt base surface for the flow. Your bottleneck is nearly a cone. Have a look to the picture. To create it, you have to use sweep to get the right surface structure (UV). Green is the profile blue are the rails. Then use flow. Dependend on what you want (position overlapping), you have to place the label. the length of the rails depends on the length of the circles.

Have a nice day
Karsten

Image Attachments:
bn.png 

16 Dec 2017   [#5] In reply to [#3]
Hi Finema, sorry I didn't know that you were wanting to do a physical process like that.

That's an area called "developable surfaces" - they can be tricky to work with since a surface is only developable if it has certain geometric properties basically it has to be straight in one direction.

Rhino has some specialized tools for working with developable surfaces so if you need to do a lot of this type of thing that could help, but the method Karsten writes above should enable you to get what you need in MoI for this case.

- Michael
16 Dec 2017   [#6] In reply to [#4]
Hi Karsten
How i create the undevelopp surface ?
Can you post your .3dm with differents steps.
Thanks a lot !
16 Dec 2017   [#7] In reply to [#6]
oh
it's OK
thats run
thanks !!!
16 Dec 2017   [#8] In reply to [#7]
No problem - it's christmas time:-)
16 Dec 2017   [#9]
Hi Finema,

I did a script called UnwrapCone, which will also unwrap frustrums, which are cones with the top cut off.
Your wine bottle neck is not quite a cone, and likely is not developable (?).

The next problem is the slanted seam, which bows inward from a cone. So I tried adding a line segment from the bottom of the slant seam, to the top of the slant seam, as a substitute slantseam.

(The UnwrapCone result looks very similar to what Karsten has shown.

- Brian
(My initial results were with an overly large unwrap, and the flow result was shrunk down... I'll have to try again... )
16 Dec 2017   [#10]
Awesome !!
I was able to use the exact shape of the cut and plated it with the karsten technique.
The icing on the cake: I was able to use directly the UV of the MoI file in Keyshot (import Nurbs or Import .OBJ)
Yes!
Thanks again to you and thank you karsten
16 Dec 2017   [#11] In reply to [#10]
Looks great - a Cremant! Cool structure in the glass and on the label!
16 Dec 2017   [#12]
:)

17 Dec 2017   [#13] In reply to [#11]
Thanks a lot Karsten ! :)
17 Dec 2017   [#14]
An easier way is to copy and paste my "nearly cone" in Rhino
use > Surface > Smash
copy and paste the unfold "nearly cone" in Moi And do the Flow
et voilĂ  ...
17 Dec 2017   [#15] In reply to [#14]
But first you have to have Rhino. Second: What kind of answer would that be in a MoI forum? And third: Knowledge is the only resource that grows through its use!

Have a nice day
Karsten
17 Dec 2017   [#16] In reply to [#15]
Karsten
No offense, I just wanted to add another easier way to do this thing.
Yes I have Rhino, C4D and other applications that help me every day for my work.
I thank you again for your help.
What else is there?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
17 Dec 2017   [#17] In reply to [#16]
Don't get me wrong! Everything is fine. In my opinion it's sometimes better to understand underlying concepts and ideas then only use the easiest way. As more we understand and use them, as more grows our knowledge. And more knowledge means better solving problems in the future.

Have a nice day
Karsten