MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Filleting issues

14 Dec 2017   [#1]
Hello Michael.

Using one of the last example you have posted for @BRUNO I've found a strange filleting issue.
Before doing the fillet I first changed the model unit to millimeters (but also with centimeters the issue remains).

Here you can find the 3dM file : http://take.ms/L9Khy

1) I applied a INSET command to one face of the solid : NO ISSUE
Those are the INSET options I used :

2) I tried to FILLET the four corner edges of the inset : FAIL
I have used any kind of filleting options but without success. The FILLET commands never ends and it only display "CALCULATING..."

I've tried also with V4 and instead I get immediately a "CALCULATION FAILED" response

This is the V3 screenshot :

3) I've repeated the experiment with Rhino 6WIP.
I simply copy/paste the model from Moi.

With Rhino V6WIP the fillet performs but with BAD result :

As you can see here the resulting objects is a "polysurface" not a "closed polysurface" :

4) I've repeated the experiment with Rhino 5.
I simply copy/paste the model from Moi.

In this case the fillet performs WELL, as you can see.

Any kind of help or suggestion will be much appreciated :)

Thanks.
14 Dec 2017   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Marco, yes that is behaving kind of strange. One thing to note is that the surfaces involved in the pocket are a lot more complex than they seem, the result of the inset makes offset surfaces of the outer surfaces for the "side walls", and also the top and bottom coming from sweep are planar surfaces but they are actually swept surfaces with many control points that happen to be in the shape of a plane rather than being simple 4 point planes. Some of that structure is probably contributing to the fillet problems.

I'd probably recommend doing a boolean of a box to make this indentation instead of Inset.

> Any kind of help or suggestion will be much appreciated :)

Did you need any help to finish the model? It sounded like you were able to get a good result on it from Rhino.

- Michael
14 Dec 2017   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hello Michael.

@You : "...One thing to note is that the surfaces involved in the pocket are a lot more complex than they seem..."

Hmmm....very interesting...

@You : "...I'd probably recommend doing a boolean of a box to make this indentation instead of Inset..."

Many thanks for your help! :)

@You : "...Did you need any help to finish the model? It sounded like you were able to get a good result on it from Rhino..."

You already helped me with your reply.
Usually I much prefer to use Moi over Rhino :)

Thanks. I will let you know the results with the fillets after the boolean operation.
14 Dec 2017   [#4] In reply to [#2]
Perfect Michael!!!

Applying the fillet after the boolean, instead after the inset, works !!

Thanks a lot!

Strange thing anyway :)
14 Dec 2017   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi Marco, I'm glad that works!

So the reason why Inset uses offset surfaces for it's "side walls" is so that there can be a constant wall thickness for the general case, here's a bit of an exaggerated example:

The wall thickness goes like this:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
marco_inset1.jpg  marco_inset2.jpg  marco_inset3.jpg 

14 Dec 2017   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Thanks a lot for such a detailed info.

Ciao!