MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: How to add elements to a layer ?

12 Dec 2017   [#1]
Hi I created some layers ( Not sure if this is the right name in MOI). How can I add elements to it ?

The only way I found was to re-name the new elements with the name of the layer I want to add to.
12 Dec 2017   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Bruno, so there are 2 different areas of the scene browser where your objects can show up, one is that named objects will show under the "Objects" section. It sounds like that's what you're using currently. And yes to add an object to that section you would set its name.

The other section in the Scene Browser that is closer to Layers in Rhino is the "Styles" section. You can assign an object to a particular style by selecting the object and then clicking the color swatch of the desired style. Or also another way is that when you select an object, the object properties panel in the upper right of the window will show the properties of that object including the style assigned to it and if you click on the line for style a menu will pop out letting you change it.

- Michael
12 Dec 2017   [#3]
Hi Bruno,

You might be confusing "Named objects" (objects tab) and "Styles"
Named object could be considered as a kind of filter for quick selection.

Styles are closer to a layer system. New objects are created in the current style that you select by clicking on the color square.

Marc
12 Dec 2017   [#4]
Haha Michael was quicker !
13 Dec 2017   [#5] In reply to [#4]
I think I got it. It will take time coming from Rhino.

So Styles work as layers. Named objects...they filter...they could have different name under the same Style.
Ok...mmm I will thikn about it hahaha
thanks a lot!
13 Dec 2017   [#6]
Is it possible to add an element to a named object already created ? I named a curve 'profile' I want to add to 'profile' another curve.
13 Dec 2017   [#7] In reply to [#5]
Hi Bruno, yes layers are slightly different in MoI, it's a little more flexible where you can work with sets of objects either by using object names or styles in combination with each other.

It's not really that named objects filter differently than styles, they just work the same way as styles where you can use them to hide/show/lock/select a batch of objects in one action using the Scene Browser.

You can install a plug-in to make it easier to assign to an existing object name, you can find that here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/display.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3830.4

- Michael
14 Dec 2017   [#8] In reply to [#7]
That usefull plugin is OVER 7 YEARS OLD AND WAS FOR V2

But it still works in V4 Dez17 :-))))
14 Dec 2017   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi Michael,

Assign Name script is not working in MoI4Dec11Beta. No object names show up in the popup. (Window 7)
This is the case for activating the script with either Shortcut Key, or with Max's customui.

Assign Name Dialog does not seem to work properly in either MoI3 or MoI4Beta. (?) (For MoI3, the popup screen works, but in the Dialog window in upper right screen, selection does not work. For MoI4, Names do not show up in the popup window, nor the dialog window at upper right.)
(Activated with Shortcut Key, or customui.)

Similarly for Assign Preset Name, and Assign Preset Name Dialog. (I have 4, (edit, make that 6, with preset versions,) varieties of assign name script.)

- Brian

EDIT: The above (misleading) results are the result of having extra files, with incorrectly named extensions.
With correctly named files (including correct extensions), and without incorrectly named files (including no incorrect extensions),
AssignName and AssignPresetName seem to work correctly in MoI3 and MoI4beta.
14 Dec 2017   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Did you write "AssignName" into your shortcut? And not "AssignNameDialog"?
14 Dec 2017   [#11] In reply to [#10]
Hi Ralf,
I tried a lot of permutations, with the results posted :-)
I'm just posting to help with the "debugging" for V4.
- Brian
14 Dec 2017   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Yes for sure :-)
But mostly the problems are on the Mac side...
14 Dec 2017   [#13] In reply to [#9]
Hi Brian,

> Assign Name script is not working in MoI4Dec11Beta. No object names show up in the popup. (Window 7)

I'm not able to repeat any problem with AssignName over here, also running Windows 7 with the Dec11 beta.

Can you please post a 3dm model file that doesn't work for you , maybe something in your particular names is important for reproducing the bug.

I also tested AssignPresetName and that worked fine for me over here as well. There are a couple of different versions of it, make sure to use the newer v3 one that uses the MoI filesystem functions for reading the text file in with the name presets instead of the original one which used an ActiveX component to do it.

- Michael
14 Dec 2017   [#14] In reply to [#13]
Well, I have become very good at creating nonexistent errors:-)
(I was using simple squares and circles for testing, and ran some tests on another (work) computer too.)

With correctly named files (including correct extensions), and without incorrectly named files (including no incorrect extensions),
AssignName and AssignPresetName seem to work correctly in MoI3 and MoI4beta.

Somehow in the past 5 years or so, I've acquired extra copies of the 2 .....dialog.htm files, which are incorrectly named
AssignNameDialog.js, and AssignPresetNameDialog.js. The extensions should be .htm.
Also present are the correctly named .htm files.

Also the PresetNames.txt file was not copied over to MoIBeta command folder.

I also have correct and incorrect versions for custom.ui, with _underline prefixes...

Supporting a zip of 3rd party scripts would be more work, and may have risks...
Maybe there could be a zip file of non-stock, non-third party, proven scripts?
Maybe a listing of the names of the good, valuable, third party scripts?
Then there are the "not ready for prime time scripts." :-)

- Brian
14 Dec 2017   [#15] In reply to [#14]
I've figured out two of my mistakes, which are based upon the fact that for AssignName.js and AssignPresetName.js, their respective ....Dialog.htm do not use the same name as the .js script. Using customui also influenced the problem.

1. When writing scripts, I developed the bad habit of renaming two scripts at once, for example: somexscript.js and some_script.htm, renamed to say _somexscript.js and _somexscript.htm, or somexscriptSAVE.js and somexscriptSAVE.htm, which works fine when both the .js and .htm have the same name.
In the case of AssignName and AssignPresetName, the respective ....Dialog.htm file has a different name, so there is a 50% or so chance of naming the AssignNameDialog.htm file to say _AssignNamesDialog.js which is wrong, and causes problems when present.

2. The second error is that when using AssignName.js, the AssignNameDialog CANNOT be named _AssignNameDialog.
( the PresetNames.txt file also cannot have an underline prefix.)

- Brian

My 3rd error was not copying PresetNames.txt to the MoI4Beta.

I think that I have been using the preview area of Windows (file) Explorer incorrectly as well...
15 Dec 2017   [#16] In reply to [#15]
Hi Brian, I'm glad you got it working now! Yes, renaming them might lead to mix-ups. I think Burr does have a .zip file collection of a whole bunch of scripts somewhere, let me see if I can find it. Ok I think this is it: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7841.6

- Michael
15 Dec 2017   [#17]
I would like to have the possibility of layers and sublayers and so on, to organize big objects.
15 Dec 2017   [#18] In reply to [#17]
Hi Rudl, I'm thinking that there could be "folders" for that, hopefully to use in the Objects section of the Scene Browser as well.

- Michael