MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Considering buying MOI to do this

Show messages:  1-7  8-27  28-47  48-67  68-69

20 Dec 2017   [#48] In reply to [#46]
Maybe something like that.?

The radii on the sidewalls are all equal. 8 Profiles 2 rails. In the corners the radius will be stretched. If you want avoid that the radius/diameter has to be big enough that he can fit to the distance of the rails in this area. But think about what happens then - the path of the grooves will moves up/down there.

Have a nice day
Karsten
p.s.: The curvature of isolines shows a little swinging

Attachments:
test2.3dm

Image Attachments:
crvtr.png  test2.png 

20 Dec 2017   [#49] In reply to [#48]
And that is possible with G3 fillets for the cube and a curve rebuild for the rails.

Image Attachments:
possible.png 

20 Dec 2017   [#50] In reply to [#46]
< distorted.

Just that following materials and sizes used any curves can't be realized! ;)
So more fluent more easy...

Your cube is for a jewel ?
20 Dec 2017   [#51] In reply to [#50]
LOL :)
20 Dec 2017   [#52]
Technic of Gaudi can't be applied here ?

20 Dec 2017   [#53] In reply to [#47]
I will go for your technique without looking the discontinuity. If MOI and Modo can translate good I might correct the ''problem'' through erasing some polygons or edges.

I will also try the technique of Karsten with the G3 cube. I am curious to see how will be the result.

Thanks so much for your time again.
20 Dec 2017   [#54] In reply to [#49]
Karsten thanks so much. Today I am going to try with the G3 cube. I remember you said you used two rails and one profile in an oldest post.

Now you did a new technique I think. With 8 profile and 2 rials and rebuilding.

I will come back with results of your first attempt ( since that rebuilding and making 8 profiles for each groove...will be an experiment that will need more time).

Thanks so much!
20 Dec 2017   [#55] In reply to [#50]
Furniture ;)
20 Dec 2017   [#56] In reply to [#52]
Mmm I think Gaudi used that technique in order to calculate the structure tension-forces of Sagrada Familia.

I love that place. Thanks! I will apply it to my cube
20 Dec 2017   [#57] In reply to [#49]
Hi Karsten,
How did you do the curvature anylsis it looks like it’s in Moi.
Is there a script for it ?
Cheers
Barry
20 Dec 2017   [#58] In reply to [#57]
Hello Barry,

there is a script called CCC (calculate curves curvature) and a curvature node with the psychodellic colors. The disadvantage is the node throws 255 new styles to the file. For each color of the rainbow one ;-) You will find it under Infos in the extensions. You can switch also to a radius mode, only useful when the curve has no straight segments. With scale factor 1 the lines shows you the center of the local radius. Min and Max radius is also evaluated. Useful for e.g. sweeps with a circle as profile. then you can compare local radius of the curve with the profile radius and know if the resulting surface will be squeezed.
Have a lot of fun with it, it was a lot of work;-)

Karsten
20 Dec 2017   [#59] In reply to [#58]
Hi Karsten,
thanks for the info will take a look.
Cheers
Barry
20 Dec 2017   [#60] In reply to [#59]
Curvature analysis is an objective judgment of the quality, sometimes it's hard to see the bullshit I have produced. But then there is no space left for a discussion about the result. And then - again!
20 Dec 2017   [#61] In reply to [#60]
Hi Karsten,
found the node, tried it and found a practical use for it.
The max and minimum radii function is useful when machining a profile and the minimum cutter diameter needs to be known.
So keep up the good work with creating nodes I enjoy the challenge of using them for solving practical problems.
Cheers
Barry
20 Dec 2017   [#62]
<< there is a script called CCC (calculate curves curvature) and a curvature node with the psychodellic colors.curves curvature) and a curvature node with the psychodellic colors.

Sorry where is it ?
20 Dec 2017   [#63] In reply to [#62]
Hello Pilou,
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6634.14 The script without coloring and the node is in the extensions under infos. Insert the node, connect a curve to it and the out to an output. Press run - that's it.

Have a nice evening
Karsten
20 Dec 2017   [#64] In reply to [#63]
@ Karsten
Ok I answer on the other thread about curvature info!
21 Dec 2017   [#65]
Few things. I will put today and Friday as my deadline to finish this model.

I started with Michael's technique. To reconstruct some segments and then have the same amount in both profiles in order to have an even 'surface'.

I started with one of the corners. My idea is to get rid of the discontinuity in Modo. I am planning to uv the model so I guess I can spend some time to eliminate the polys that generate the wrinkle.

I did find a problem joining the grooves. It seems the cap and the first groove are joined (the surfaces get highlighted when I touch them). The other grooves give me the 'two surfaces joined' sign , but when I click on them they do not look together. Also when I apply a fillet edge on the edges (I would like to have a tiny radius in each sharp edge) nothing happens.

You can find the file attached too.

I also wanted to know if its possible to visualize the 'isocurves' of the model in MOI, so I can avoid jumping in to Rh.

--------------------------------------------

Also I wanted to know if there is any tutorial regarding how to export efficiently to MODO or other polygonal software.

So far this is the best I could get playing around:

In the meantime I will check the manual.

Attachments:
NON_JOINT.3dm

Image Attachments:
NON_JOINT.png  Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 6.42.14 PM.png 

21 Dec 2017   [#66] In reply to [#65]
Hello Bruno,

your surfaces are not well connected - to check it use this script as a shortcut:
script:var gd = moi.geometryDatabase; gd.deselectAll(); var breps = gd.getObjects().getBreps(); for ( var i = 0; i < breps.length; ++i ) breps.item(i).getNakedEdges().setProperty( 'selected', true );
Open the options and go to the short cut keys and press add. copy the script under command in the free field. Choose a shortcut in the first free field and close. Now press the shortcut and look what happens - the script will mark open edges. Showing isolines is only possible for a single surface/face. You can use Curves - isocurves for that.

Is the idea for this cube made by Ernő Rubik?

Have a nice day
Karsten
21 Dec 2017   [#67] In reply to [#66]
Hi Karsten.

This project? mMM Rubik cube ? mmm nope. Its furniture that I want to cnc.

I will try with your script. The strange thing is ...I am not understanding how am I getting naked edges...when I am using the rials and profiles of intersections...

I am not imagining how a sweep can leave gaps...if i am sharing the rials (???)
\

Anyway when you say they are not well connected...is this affecting the fillet or exporting...or both.

Show messages:  1-7  8-27  28-47  48-67  68-69