MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Considering buying MOI to do this

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-69

14 Dec 2017   [#41] In reply to [#39]
Hello Bruno,

<<<In order not to do this model for the 12 time hahahah, I mean before proceeding to use that technique. Do you think by making the cube with different continuity on the radius I will solve it just doing sweeps (intersection as rials and two curves as profiles).>>>

It's only one way - but in my opinion you don't Need more than one Profile.

Have a nice day
Karsten

p.s.: Quick and dirty Rendering with Blender/Luxrender

Image Attachments:
cube.png  LRTest.png 

14 Dec 2017   [#42] In reply to [#41]
I will try out. I did not think of making it with one profile curve.

Lets check thank you !
19 Dec 2017   [#43] In reply to [#40]
Michael. I checked the model (following your technique) in Rh...and it seems to have certain discontinuity. Is it possible the software shows the model different ?

There is a strange brake :

Are your surfaces also 'broken' in those edges in Moi ?

Thanks a lot

Image Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 10.13.08 PM.png 

19 Dec 2017   [#44] In reply to [#43]
Hi Bruno, yeah I do see the same thing over here. maybe that technique is not so good after all...

Maybe you could minimize that by extending the corner segments of the small side a bit too like this:

It can be a pretty difficult task to work with tightly bent curves.

As sort of a general rule you usually want to keep things like that sharp and use filleting later on to put in the tightly rounded corner areas rather than having them baked directly into your surfaces. But I'm not sure that's really an option for your case here.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
bruno_corner.jpg 

19 Dec 2017   [#45]
Why this corner is so distorted ?
Does exist a rational reason of that ?
When a form is not "natural" it's normal that you obtain such difficulties! :)
Make simple and harmonious :)
20 Dec 2017   [#46] In reply to [#45]
>Why this corner is so distorted ?

I am not sure what do you mean with distorted. It is a poly-surface (filleted cube G1) and then intersected lines.

>Does exist a rational reason of that ?
I guess the reason why 'this' exist it is cause I exist. Which is the same reason why things (not talking about nature)
have a shape, someone existed. This is not a challenging answer, I actually wonderer why this shape exist.

>When a form is not "natural" it's normal that you obtain such difficulties! :)

Can you clarify what should be 'natural' . Again you are challenging my perspectives (which is good). There are thousands cars
I can see from my window now. Do you believe they are 'natural' ? Or they are more logical for a cad software than a cube with radius ?

I apologize if this sounds too much. The truth I am frustrated. I am wondering how is possible I saw so many crazy shapes on CAD software.
I ve seen an AUDI R8 in CAD, Its been weeks making a cube with G1 filleted edges and grooves :(

Thanks a lot for participating. I am looking forward for suggestions :)
20 Dec 2017   [#47] In reply to [#46]
Hi Bruno, well a couple other things you could try to smooth out the discontinuity would be to trim away a small slice around it and use Construct > Blend to build a blend surface through it. Also Rhino's MatchSrf command could be worth a try, if all the other shaping is looking good other than those discontinuities.

- Michael
20 Dec 2017   [#48] In reply to [#46]
Maybe something like that.?

The radii on the sidewalls are all equal. 8 Profiles 2 rails. In the corners the radius will be stretched. If you want avoid that the radius/diameter has to be big enough that he can fit to the distance of the rails in this area. But think about what happens then - the path of the grooves will moves up/down there.

Have a nice day
Karsten
p.s.: The curvature of isolines shows a little swinging

Attachments:
test2.3dm

Image Attachments:
crvtr.png  test2.png 

20 Dec 2017   [#49] In reply to [#48]
And that is possible with G3 fillets for the cube and a curve rebuild for the rails.

Image Attachments:
possible.png 

20 Dec 2017   [#50] In reply to [#46]
< distorted.

Just that following materials and sizes used any curves can't be realized! ;)
So more fluent more easy...

Your cube is for a jewel ?
20 Dec 2017   [#51] In reply to [#50]
LOL :)
20 Dec 2017   [#52]
Technic of Gaudi can't be applied here ?

20 Dec 2017   [#53] In reply to [#47]
I will go for your technique without looking the discontinuity. If MOI and Modo can translate good I might correct the ''problem'' through erasing some polygons or edges.

I will also try the technique of Karsten with the G3 cube. I am curious to see how will be the result.

Thanks so much for your time again.
20 Dec 2017   [#54] In reply to [#49]
Karsten thanks so much. Today I am going to try with the G3 cube. I remember you said you used two rails and one profile in an oldest post.

Now you did a new technique I think. With 8 profile and 2 rials and rebuilding.

I will come back with results of your first attempt ( since that rebuilding and making 8 profiles for each groove...will be an experiment that will need more time).

Thanks so much!
20 Dec 2017   [#55] In reply to [#50]
Furniture ;)
20 Dec 2017   [#56] In reply to [#52]
Mmm I think Gaudi used that technique in order to calculate the structure tension-forces of Sagrada Familia.

I love that place. Thanks! I will apply it to my cube
20 Dec 2017   [#57] In reply to [#49]
Hi Karsten,
How did you do the curvature anylsis it looks like it’s in Moi.
Is there a script for it ?
Cheers
Barry
20 Dec 2017   [#58] In reply to [#57]
Hello Barry,

there is a script called CCC (calculate curves curvature) and a curvature node with the psychodellic colors. The disadvantage is the node throws 255 new styles to the file. For each color of the rainbow one ;-) You will find it under Infos in the extensions. You can switch also to a radius mode, only useful when the curve has no straight segments. With scale factor 1 the lines shows you the center of the local radius. Min and Max radius is also evaluated. Useful for e.g. sweeps with a circle as profile. then you can compare local radius of the curve with the profile radius and know if the resulting surface will be squeezed.
Have a lot of fun with it, it was a lot of work;-)

Karsten
20 Dec 2017   [#59] In reply to [#58]
Hi Karsten,
thanks for the info will take a look.
Cheers
Barry
20 Dec 2017   [#60] In reply to [#59]
Curvature analysis is an objective judgment of the quality, sometimes it's hard to see the bullshit I have produced. But then there is no space left for a discussion about the result. And then - again!

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-69