MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Considering buying MOI to do this

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-69

12 Dec 2017   [#1]
Hi. I am trying to recreate this model I made. My intention is to have it 'cleaner' since I need to export it to modo in order to have the UVs.

I've heard that MOI has a great translation to MODO. The problem is that I made the model with Rhino, but It is insanely 'messy' with iso-curves...
There is a weird behavior within Rhino. My model is entirely made with rials and profile curves.

If you check the attachment. The picture shows the principles of how I built the surface. Basically is a cube with rounded edges and then oblique planes intersecting in order to get the rials.
In the second attachment you can see the profile (orange) and the rials (blue). The profile repeat for each 'pair' of rials.

Once I make a sweep two rails (for each strip) the surface gets done...but incredible dense and with artifacts. I believe the problem comes that Rhino is not translating my intersections coming from planes + polysurface as 'simple lines'...Which is weird since the profile of the intersection should be triangles...with curvature at the encounters. Even if this is not an arc...it should not be a line with so many control points, as the ones I am gettin in Rhino.

I tried with MOI and seems to have much better architecture to figure out the model with exactly the same profile and rial curves.

I am wondering if I can build the model entirely en MOI. I believe it will be better than importing the model from Rhino. Is it possible to intersect planes on a polysurface?

Then use the outcome as rials ? As I said, my idea is to export it to OBJ and UV map it in Modo.

Thanks a lot. I am considering to buy MOI if it can solve this problem.

Image Attachments:
MOI Forum.png  Moi_2.png 

12 Dec 2017   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Bruno, yes I'd think it should be possible to do that in MoI. You can generate curves of intersection in MoI either by selecting your planes and your polysurface and using the Construct > Curve > Isect command, or you could also generate a set of lines spaced apart from each other and project them onto the polysurface using the Construct > Curve > Project command.

If you don't mind posting a 3DM file with your pieces in it I might be able to give you some better advice.

- Michael
12 Dec 2017   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Thanks Michael ! Can I send it to you (private) to an email. This is a project I want to make and I would like not to spread it a lot. I know I can not do anything with copyright...but at least...if its not permanently in a server I will feel better.

Let me know if I can send it to you by mail .

Thanks a lot!
12 Dec 2017   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hello Bruno,

I've rebuild the idea. Have a look an a nice day
Karsten

Attachments:
test.3dm

12 Dec 2017   [#5] In reply to [#3]
Hi Bruno, sure no problem you can e-mail it to me at moi@moi3d.com , I'm just about ready to go to sleep over here so it will be a little while before I'm able to reply.

- Michael
12 Dec 2017   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Ups- sorry Bruno. I was to fast, but it differs from yours!

Sleep well Michael!
12 Dec 2017   [#7]
Hi Bruno,
is this the type of result you want. I just sliced a cube in Moi only 2 minutes.
Hope this helps.
Barry

Image Attachments:
Cube Sliced.png 

12 Dec 2017   [#8] In reply to [#4]
Wow...looks awesome. Even if it has a lot of iso-curves...they all align . I need to test in Modo as an obj!

Is it possible to blend curves in Moi ? ? I can also import my curves from Rhino. Do you think they will behave equally ...rhino compared to making it again entirely in MOI?

Again...the idea is to have clean polygon mesh in Modo.
12 Dec 2017   [#9] In reply to [#7]
I need to start from there. Then I need to build the two profile to curve to sweep along the rials. I used the blend crv in Rhino.

It seems I could do this entirely in MOI with half of the hassle.

Thanks so much for your help!
12 Dec 2017   [#10]
Do you think I can avoid the process to send it to MODO to UV map it ? It looks so cool in MOI already.
When I export the model you generally uploaded..polygon start to get a little bit weird. Still much much better than Rh outcome so far.

I will start to re build it in Moi!
12 Dec 2017   [#11] In reply to [#10]
Hi Bruno,
this is produced by projecting lines onto the cube. These can be used as rails to sweep a profile.
Cheers
Barry

Image Attachments:
Cube sweep.png 

12 Dec 2017   [#12] In reply to [#11]
...Moi is so far the very best tool for a 3D designer!

For concept creations and ultrafast products presentation there's nothing into the actual 3D consumer modeler market that can compete against Moi.

Less than 10 minutes and you can create stunning and strange pieces of industrial design concepts :)

Marco (mkdm)
12 Dec 2017   [#13] In reply to [#12]
It seems so!
12 Dec 2017   [#14] In reply to [#11]
I will get back with a screen shot of the exact cube I need in MOI. Then I will find the way how to project the lines I need.

Thanks so much...this is the concept. Now I need to find the way to do exactly what I need in dimensions. Its my first day with MOI so I probably will back to you.

Thanks
12 Dec 2017   [#15]
Ok I am starting. I have a few questions. Not sure if I should open a new topic.

I am building the rials.

1. Did the polysurface + Radius
2. build a grid with an array to place my diagonals
3. Manually draw each line between vertex (please see the attachment)
4. Mirror them in order to build a loft = surface
5. Intersected them.

Questions: Is there any way to project the lines faster? Maybe a contour ? Maybe an offset of each oblique line ?

I seen some of the users built it super fast. I would like to ask you the procedure to make the projections that you use .

Thanks a lot

Bruno

Image Attachments:
Moi_How to do something.png 

12 Dec 2017   [#16] In reply to [#15]
Hi Bruno,
try this.
Barry

Image Attachments:
Projections.png 

12 Dec 2017   [#17] In reply to [#16]
Thanks @Barry-H .

Getting there. Tomorrow I will continue.

Image Attachments:
Thanks.png 

12 Dec 2017   [#18] In reply to [#8]
Hi Bruno,

re:
> Is it possible to blend curves in Moi ? ?

Yup, select your curves and then run the Construct > Blend command.

One of the differences between MoI and Rhino is that MoI doesn't have separate commands for doing things to curves and surfaces, there's just one Blend command and it will do either a curve blend or a surface blend depending on what you have selected.

- Michael
12 Dec 2017   [#19] In reply to [#15]
Hi Bruno,

re:
> Questions: Is there any way to project the lines faster? Maybe a contour ? Maybe an offset of each oblique line ?

I'd probably make one line and then use Transform > Array > Dir to duplicate it to make the rest of them.

- Michael
13 Dec 2017   [#20] In reply to [#18]
Thanks Michael. I also noticed that the blend has less options than Rhino. For example the ends of the blend are managed always under the same continuity.

Is this right ?

Thanks

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-69