MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: 3 point box

11 Dec 2017   [#1]
Is it possible to make a box3pts command that always uses the same width and height? Or can I make the command remember the last input?

Regard
Andreas
11 Dec 2017   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Andreas, it should be possible to make a customized version that uses the same width and height, but there is a complication since currently the width and height change as you move your mouse around to show you what numeric values your current mouse point would give.

So I'd need to know what you would want to happen instead of that, having the values change dynamically with the mouse is incompatible with having the values stay fixed. Do you want a version where it doesn't give any numeric feedback for your mouse placement and instead only allows typed in values for width and height?

- Michael
12 Dec 2017   [#3] In reply to [#2]
What I was thinking:

- Pick a corner point
- Width automatically gets a predefined value
- Pick the orientation of the first side
- Height automatically gets a predefined value
- Pick the orientation of the second side
- Extrude.

The reason i want this is for a timber framing project and I want to create lots of beams with the same dimisjons. I am not sure this is the best way to do it but it is how I have been doing it manually.

Regards
Andreas
12 Dec 2017   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Andreas, could you give some more details on where the predefined values would come from?

Would it work for those to come from the same width and height input fields that show currently, except they would initialize to the last used values rather than showing the current mouse position?

- Michael
12 Dec 2017   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Yes i think last used could be good. Or just som scripts that could be edited with different values. Then there could be a script for "2 by 4", "4 by 4" etc.
12 Dec 2017   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi Andreas, please try the attached Box3ptsWidthHeight command, there are instructions for installing a plug-in here.

I hope it does what you were looking for.

re:
> Or just som scripts that could be edited with different values. Then there
> could be a script for "2 by 4", "4 by 4" etc.

In the next v4 beta release which will be out in just an hour or so, there's a new way you can set up shortcut keys to initialize controls for the command, overriding the regular default values.

So with that you wouldn't have to edit the script, you could just make different shortcuts like this:

Box3ptsWidthHeight width=2 height=4

Box3ptsWidthHeight width=55.2 height=23.1

etc...

- Michael

Attachments:
Box3ptsWidthHeight.zip

12 Dec 2017   [#7] In reply to [#6]
<<<In the next v4 beta release which will be out in just an hour or so,.............

Image Attachments:
GIF-Happy-joy-excited-baby-Stewie-Family-Guy-GIF.gif 

12 Dec 2017   [#8] In reply to [#7]
:) It's out now Ralf! - Michael
12 Dec 2017   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Thanks Michael that worked fantastic just what i needed. Looking forward to testing the new beta on the MAC when i get home.

Regards
Andreas