MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Creases when subdividing an extruded polyline triangle

Show messages: All  1-2  3-7

9 Dec 2017   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi Bernhard, also you could try dividing it into Quads by trimming / joining it like this, and make sure the "High quality mode" checkbox is set:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
Bernhard_subd1.jpg  Bernhard_subd2.jpg  Bernhard_subd3.jpg  Bernhard_subd4.jpg 

10 Dec 2017   [#4] In reply to [#2]
Hi PaQ,

Thanks very much for the fast response. Sounds very promising. The triangle is part of a much more complex model, so I'm curious how the classic subdivision will play along. I'll try it out a report how it goes.

best regards

Bernhard
10 Dec 2017   [#5] In reply to [#3]
Hi Michael,

Thanks very much for the hint! I'll try it out. From what I can see, the resulting shape will be slightly different when applying this solution. Nevertheless, I'll give it a try and report if it can be applied for my use case.

best regards

Bernhard
16 Dec 2017   [#6]
Hi!

It turned out that the triangular prisms integrated in my model are not causing visible creases (lucky me).

Nevertheless, thanks again for the hints - I'm having the feeling that this knowledge is needed, sooner or later :-)

best regards

Bernhard

P.S.: it took me a while to figure out how to create a triangular prism that has control points: you need to loft two adjacent lines and then extrude the surface. When instead extruding a plane polygon triangle or lofting two polygon triangles (with closed caps), then you loose the control points (because the control points of the individual surfaces don't align).
17 Dec 2017   [#7] In reply to [#2]
Interesting info, thanks PaQ and Michael. I didn't know yet that combining SubdivClassic with the regular Subdiv has its advantages.

Show messages: All  1-2  3-7