MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: iPad Pro - workflow involving Moi and iOS OnShape Apps

5 Dec 2017   [#1]
Hi everyone!

After making some tests and read many articles and reviews I think I've found the (almost) perfect and (almost) seamless workflow
for managing/creating 3dm models with my iPad Pro 12.9 (2nd gen) and Moi (Windows desktop version).

The product is the very popular "onShape".

I've made some simple test and for what I've seen so far I think it is a very good and FREE solution to deal with Moi's files on and iPad Pro.

At least if doesn't matter for you that if you use the free version ALL your models will have a public access :)

Thanks to the A10X Fusion it runs very fast on the iPad Pro!!!

The unique real discomfort that I've tested so far it's that it seems that I need to use OnShape on the PC Browser when you want to export
the OnShape files in 3dm format to use them into Moi.

I didn't figure out how to perform exporting directly inside the OnShape iOS App.

For importing I didn't find any problem also using the OnShape App.

It would be very interesting if some of you that is testing this same workflow want to share his experience.

Thanks a lot and have a nice day.
5 Dec 2017   [#2]
Hi everyone!

...a "quick and dirt" 10-min break during my daily job...

Moi+iPad Pro+OnShape App+SnapSeed App.

Ciao!

Marco (mkdm)
6 Dec 2017   [#3]
Hi Marco,

Sounds like a solid workflow.

Regarding import and export — here's a relatively old note of mine. The workflow might have changed in the mean time, but maybe not:

1: Set units in MoI to the same units as set in OnShape (e.g. mm).
2: Export as STEP.
3: Upload to OnShape (check the flatten option).
4: Go to the model, hide the planes for clarity.
5: Select an edge from the edge loop you want to fillet, and activate the Fillet button.
6: From the model tab at the bottom, export as STEP, and download it.
6 Dec 2017   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Metin.

Thanks a lot for sharing and for the tip.

But...just two questions :

1) Regarding the step 6, are you referring to the operation performed with the OnShape App on iPad Pro or using the OnShape on the PC's Browser ?

I ask this because just yesterday the OnShape support confirmed that actually is not possible to export from the iOS App but only from the PC's Browser.

2) Did you suggest the STEP format for a particular reason ?
I ask this because I've seen that I can import directly the 3dm Moi's file using both the OnShape iOS App and of course the PC's Browser.
May I have some advantage using the STEP format over the 3dm format for exchange model between Moi and OnShape ?

Thanks a lot and have a nice day.
7 Dec 2017   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi Marco,

You're welcome.

Regarding your questions:

1: I've only tried this in a desktop browser. It might work different on an iPad browser.

2: I guess it's at least two years ago since I used this workflow. I noticed back then that STEP had certain advantages over other solids formats, but I believe 3DM wasn't yet supported at the time.
24 Dec 2017   [#6]
Hi everyone and Merry Christmas !!

Moi + iPad Pro (OnShape to add parametric features + Affinity Photo + Snapseed).

Ciao!