MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: SketchUp 18 !

15 Nov 2017   [#1]
Hum hum ...no more Version Make! Just Online (My SketchUp becomes SketchUp Free) (for Hobbyists)

So keep your old version(s) in local if you want use Plugins! ;) (for Hobbyists)

Sorry in French but you can put the Subtitles! [CC] + auto translate + English ;)

15 Nov 2017   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hello Pilou.

@You : "...no more Version Make! Just Online (My SketchUp) (for Hobbyists)..."

LOL :)
It's always the same old story...

Those days are over. The party is over :)

Ciao.
15 Nov 2017   [#3] In reply to [#2]
All becomes Online! Moi is resisting! :)
15 Nov 2017   [#4] In reply to [#3]
I'm an "old school" man ;)
I hate "only online".
Totally!

Long life to Moi and Affinity!

Ciao Pilou.

Marco (mkdm)
15 Nov 2017   [#5]
Same here guys. No subscriptions, no serious tools in a browser window, no isolated cloud service for every tool. Photoshop already ruined that. I'm glad that MoI, Affinity Designer + Photo, Blender, ZBrush, 3D Coat and Keyshot are still old school, solid, locally installed, non-subscription tools.

Regards,
17 Nov 2017   [#6]
I seem to remember speaking of the inevitable end SU as we knew it back when they were purchased.
It's probably rare for a buyout to ever bode well for any given piece of software.
I worry that Thea Render's days are actually numbered.

I agree - resist the cloud at all costs! (But what do you do when M$ and Apple design their platforms for eventual conformity?)

My mainstay meat-and-potatoes programs Photoshop and CorelDRAW have both gone the way of the cloud.
Their corporations claim that this move is to both progress with modern tech as well as curtail piracy, though anyone with a brain can see that their design is to protect your wallet from too much (of their) cash.
Instead of paying $800 for an app and getting a good 5 years out of it OR until you feel the need really warrants upgrading, now you pay $40 a month, which is not only $2,400 after the said five years but really, $$ a month forever no matter how long the investment was really paid and done fore.

The other major drawback is the fact that you must be connected online to access your app or operate parts of it... this can actually get pretty bad.
Here in the small town I work in, our Comcast internet quite often fails and is often "being worked on" for hours at a time on random days - which means no phone or internet for us at our inconvenience.
Not their fault but is a result from the bad combination of rural remoteness combined with the after effects of unavoidable post-hurricane damage issues.

Don't get me started with Thea, I had to nicely ask them via email for some kind of weird code file to install my licensed copy at home on my particular system (where there was no internet.)

Maybe its just the times and everyone will eventually be forced to follow suit.
Anyone catch Microsoft's plans to get to a point where only "authorized/certified" app versions of any software would be the only ones allowed to work on their planned (Android-esc) OS?
Say good bye to trusty old custom .exe's and vintage apps running natively.

I still use Corel X6 (An Install Version!) as well as a non-cloud CS2 and CS5 versions of Photoshop, but sooner or later, my next PC and 'modern' OS will not play nice with them. Since I'll need AI as well I'll have to kiss off $120 at least, every month (after some realistic value point) just for the privilege (of what?).

I know less about these things than it sounds like I do, but I do gather that Michael has a certain sense of kinship if you will and a ton of personal capital in MoI ever to allow it not to be the 'friendly' program, it helps that the fact that Rhino is such a juggernaut staple tends to inadvertently protect MoI in its 'shadow' from being picked off so easy by corporate vultures, if I'm correct in saying.
17 Nov 2017   [#7] In reply to [#6]
@Mike
About Toshop & Illustrator you have now Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer family! ;)
( ~50 $ each and if i am not wrong it's updatable for life! )
or the free Gravit Designer! ;)

About rural Internet : have you try the Net by satellite ?
18 Nov 2017   [#8] In reply to [#6]
Well written, Mike! I wholeheartedly agree with your arguments.

Have a great weekend everyone,

Metin

———————

visualization • illustration • animation • 3D (print) design — https://metinseven.com
18 Nov 2017   [#9]
Howdy, just wanted to add my 2 cents about what's going on with SketchUp 2018.

SketchUp Pro is not going away, and the commitment to it is greater than ever.

SketchUp Make 2017 is still available for download, and will be for some time to come.

SketchUp Free runs in the browser, even on inexpensive Chromebooks. So people who would otherwise not be able to afford to use SketchUp now can.

Ruby extensions don't run (safely) in web browsers, at least not yet, but that won't prevent people from being able to use SketchUp. It's a bummer but one that should eventually get resolved.

I remember when Google bought SketchUp and some folks said "that's the end of SketchUp". Well it didn't quite turn out that way. This is just the next step in the evolution of making 3D accessible for everyone.
18 Nov 2017   [#10] In reply to [#9]
And maybe a day Plugins adapted can run also in Browser!
18 Nov 2017   [#11] In reply to [#10]
One certainly hopes so! Too bad the SketchUp API didn't use javascript instead of ruby. ;-)
19 Nov 2017   [#12]
Not at all happy about this. This is basically my thinking and what I wrote in the SU forum...
----------------------------
OK, I now understand there is a focus on trying to get extensions to work in the cloud sometime in the future. I suppose we can expect the whole app (PRO + FREE) to end up in the cloud at some point. If not, then this truly is a waste of valuable developer resources.

Pros

Cons

So, instead of finally getting a fillet or chamfer command, or UV mapping (after all it is 2017), or better booleans, or even a decent renderer, we are now watching the programmers spend all their time on trying to figure out load balancing on servers and how to get around the limitations of different browsers.

I sure would’ve like to have been in THAT meeting where the decision was made to allocate major development resources to move the whole codebase to the cloud. Perhaps the decision was made by programmers knowing they need to add significant cloud development capabilities to their resume?

It is more and more apparent to me there is little focus at Trimble on what users need to actually model and render buildings, products, and 3D prints in 2018. There have been very few tools added over the past decade. Yes, I know we all EXPECT the plugin developers to create them for Trimble. Still, even the magnificent Fredo can’t easily build the standard filleting tool every other poly modeler has because of the internal architecture of SU.

Yes, I know the original design was a departure from standard vertex poly modelers…and a good one at that. Even so, there are so many ways to make it better. Trimble seems very reluctant to actually add the necessary features, and instead they’ve decided to now spend significant resources towards isolating the program, and it’s users, in the cloud. I’m just wondering if the programmers are actual 3D guys, or former Google Cloud computing developers?

------------

Before anyone jumps on MoI4 saying many of the same things could be said about features, understand updating a codebase to 64bit and native on a Mac is worth a whole update in itself. SU did that a couple years back and the community cheered loudly.
19 Nov 2017   [#13]
Hello,

Personally I think Trimble bought SU for its intellectual property, nothing more. Relative to their other lines of business I'm not sure SU was bread and butter for them, you can't blame them for following the money. It could be that some SU workflow was beneficial to their BIM strategy. This seems to follow other Trimble acquisitions.

I don't necessarily agree with the whole free and pro product strategy, it devalues your overall solution. Keep the product reasonable in cost but expect payment from everyone that uses it.

At any rate the entire SU market could go away tomorrow and I don't think it would hurt Trimble much at all, they had a plan for the SU tech that didn't involve the consumer market.