MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Lots of unkown

Show messages:  1-15  …  236-255  256-275  276-295  296-315  316-335  336-355  356-372

19 Jul 2021   [#296]
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8665.141
earlier idea for moi, realization in blender -> intuitive
moi doesn't have pie menu, but it could have some after shortcuts, s for align, and s + w -> top , s + d -> right, s +a -> left, s + s -> down
ps: i wans't in blender when i've posted
in blender it's must to have for hard surface, anyway up to scripting moi's "point's scriptable" won't be reason to implement
19 Jul 2021   [#297]
some futures that i'd like to have inside moi
towards 2d workflow*
recently i was studying marvelous designer & captures will be from there
fillets/chamfers - at least 2d should be interactive
1. fillets radius - awesome visualization, ai should be similar

Image Attachments:
2d_fillet_radius.gif 

19 Jul 2021   [#298]
another awesome future ! MD
smooth curve - could be applied to any closed curve
select 2 points, select part that u wanna cut, adjust curvature

Image Attachments:
smooth_curve.gif 

Message 8665.299 was deleted

19 Jul 2021   [#300] In reply to [#298]
Hi Tudor,

re:
> another awesome future ! MD
> smooth curve - could be applied to any closed curve
> select 2 points, select part that u wanna cut, adjust curvature

If you want a smooth curve it's kind of strange to start out with a rectangle instead of just drawing a smooth curve right from the start.

But you can do something similar in Moi if you want, draw in a line, use the Trim command cut away the part you don't want, then use Edit > Add pt to add a point to the middle of the line and turn on edit points and adjust the point.

Adding in a special tool to do that would not be good, that's exactly how bloat happens.

I do have some ideas for having different draw modes to make draw commands intersect and cut away pieces without needing to do a separate Trim step.

- Michael
20 Jul 2021   [#301]
mb it was such a script made, polyline with offset, wanna combine in polyline option (pressing O)
20 Jul 2021   [#302]
PolyCut updated, solved random issues
select one curve/solid - run the script
will change perspective to isometric
1. for solids/breps -> works in all views
2. curves - only in orto (moi doesn't perform booleans of random plane/frame curves)
right click to close the curve, or u can close manually

Attachments:
_PolyCut.htm
_PolyCut.js

20 Jul 2021   [#303]
select last created is not working after deleting any object
20 Jul 2021   [#304] In reply to [#303]
Hi Tudor,

re:
> select last created is not working after deleting any object

Yes that's normal. Select last created (by using moi.geometryDatabase.selectLastCreated();) selects whatever geometry was created by the last run command.

When you run the Delete command, that becomes the last run command and so then select last created will select whatever was created by the Delete command which will be nothing if you deleted an entire object, but other cases like the result of deleting only some faces or control points will be selected.

- Michael
27 Jul 2021   [#305]
any tips how to use shrink trimmed surface, or where it can be used ?
27 Jul 2021   [#306] In reply to [#305]
Hi Tudor, if you start with a complex surface and then boolean or trim away a large portion of it:

the original full surface is still there as the "underlying surface":

If you apply ShrinkTrimmedSrf to this, it will shrink down the underlying surface and cut out areas outside of the trim curve boundaries:

This can reduce surface complexity in cases like this and sometimes there can be problematic things like self intersections in other areas of the underlying surface that could interfere with some kinds of calculations.

Usually it is good to keep the full original surfaces because it makes repair operations by untrimming easier but if it's a very complex surface it can carry a lot of data size.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
shrinktrimmedsrf_example1.jpg  shrinktrimmedsrf_example2.jpg  shrinktrimmedsrf_example3.jpg  shrinktrimmedsrf_example4.jpg 

2 Aug 2021   [#307]
problems with export as fbx/obj
fillets are not native

Attachments:
ring2.3dm

2 Aug 2021   [#308] In reply to [#307]
Hi Tudor, it looks like maybe the object is inside-out. Try selecting it, then run Edit > Separate followed by Edit > Join. That seems to get its orientation set up ok.

Also your object is at a very small scale of only 0.02 units across. Try scaling it up by 100 times before meshing it, that will avoid some points from getting merged together.
5 Aug 2021   [#309]
constant fillet fails on curves and not on surfaces, weird
5 Aug 2021   [#310] In reply to [#309]
Hi Tudor,

re:
> constant fillet fails on curves and not on surfaces, weird

Prior to v4, constant radius fillet was not available for curves at all, as of v4 it works on line segments:

https://moi3d.com/wiki/V4Beta#Feb-27-2019
quote:

Update curve filleting - Enable "Constant distance" fillet mode for curves, currently only works for line segments.

- Michael
5 Aug 2021   [#311]
could be implemented in next version ?
5 Aug 2021   [#312] In reply to [#311]
Hi Tudor,

re:
> could be implemented in next version ?

Sorry, no probably not, it's not supported by the geometry library currently.

- Michael
6 Aug 2021   [#313]
can't find script for "select similar edge length"
6 Aug 2021   [#314] In reply to [#313]
Hi Tudor,

re:
> can't find script for "select similar edge length"

Is it one in this thread? :
http://moi3d.com/forum/lmessages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8905.1

- Michael
7 Aug 2021   [#315]
not quite that i'm searching for
there's a filter for curves biggest, smallest, or min/max , but I'm searching for edges
example - extrude taped, select one side edge of taped - run the script -> fillet/chamfer
or draw a rectangle, extrude by x amount, select 1 edge of height - run the script, or select the edge of original rectangle run the script

i've forgot lots of moi's scripting
select desired edge
moi.geometryDatabase.getSelectedObjects().getEdges().item(0).getLength(); get's edge selection length
get parent object(want only for current selection, in case there are duplicates of same object), get edges, loop through edges, if there's similar length - select

or if i Have a selected edge how can i get object numEdges count for the loop
by my understanding it should be ~ moi.geometryDatabase.getSelectedObjects().getTopLevelObjects().item(0).getEdges().numEdges
moi.geometryDatabase.getSelectedObjects() -> selected
.getTopLevelObjects() -> object itself
.item(0) - object nr
.getEdges() - all the edges
.numEdges - count edges
that doesn't work

Show messages:  1-15  …  236-255  256-275  276-295  296-315  316-335  336-355  356-372