MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Trimming question

Show messages: All  1  2-4

3 Nov 2017   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Involute, looks like the thing that makes your case here a bit more complex is your cut isn't in a straight direction.

I'd probably try building a network surface to use as a cutting object with boolean difference. But on this one side here I don't think it will work to put in a long straight line, because this area of the existing object looks like it's a slightly curved edge and not just a straight line:

So probably you'd need to draw in a line from the top of that red area above and incorporate the actual curved edge as the rest of the curve, rather than a long straight line for that side.

And also the kind of same thing applies to the short segment on the bottom - you'll need to use the existing edge there as part of your cutting surface construction, it's slightly curved. If you just draw in a line there it won't match up 100% .

- Michael

Image Attachments:
involute_cut.jpg 

3 Nov 2017   [#3] In reply to [#1]
So you'd only want to draw in lines for these spots here, the other 2 spots are slightly curved and you want to use the existing edges there rather than putting in a straight line:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
involute_cut2.jpg 

3 Nov 2017   [#4] In reply to [#1]
Hi Involute, so in the attached file I ended up using Edit > Trim to cut pieces away and then used Construct > Network to build a filling surface and joined it in.

Also instead of just drawing in a line for the top of that red zone above I put in a control point curve that's slightly curved so it's smooth with the lower piece.

- Michael

Attachments:
ConnectorTube2.3dm

Show messages: All  1  2-4