MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Tiles and tile maps

Show messages:  1-19  20-39  40-49

12 Nov 2017   [#20] In reply to [#19]
Hi James
After nap, here is the exception.
Copied your extensions. Construct2, max_subdiv..., and basicFunctions slightly different.
Same 30 seconds, same exception upon apply.

- Brian

Image Attachments:
ExceptionLine528TruchetSweep3.png 

12 Nov 2017   [#21] In reply to [#19]
Hi, James,

I had some trouble running the nod, but after copying your extension folder, all works properly.
Takes about 7 seconds.

Mike.

Message 8663.22 was deleted

Message 8663.23 was deleted

12 Nov 2017   [#24]
I tried to reproduce this error using extensions files from James' post.
Everything works good for me. I tested this node with the last NE release (v.0.97) and with v.0.98 (not released yet).
12 Nov 2017   [#25]
Very weird.
I renamed nodeeditor directory, and reinstalled version 0.97 to a new nodeeditor directory, and loaded Jame's extension subdirectory.
Same 30 second, error message.
(One time MoI crashed.)

Also tried computer reboot.

Tried loading nod from shortcut key, same result.

- Brian
12 Nov 2017   [#26] In reply to [#25]
Hi Brian,
Right now I tested this node with NE 0.95, 0.97, 0.98 using Win and Mac versions. ~5 seconds. No errors on Apply.
Try to rename moi.ini file and run MoI with default settings.
12 Nov 2017   [#27] In reply to [#26]
Thank you Max.

I saved my current Moi.ini file, by renaming it.
I was unable, so far, to locate default Moi.ini, but saw one called MarvsMoi.ini, from 2015, and renamed it Moi.ini.

Success running the truchetSweep3 nod, about 6 seconds., and apply works, 0.97 version.

So something in my previous moi.ini file causes the previous failure...

- Brian
12 Nov 2017   [#28] In reply to [#27]
OK, reverted to my moi.ini file that caused the problem.
My mesh angle was set to 1, (very low).
Changed mesh angle to 15, and now the truchetSweep3 nod works just fine.
(Maybe caused a memory problem with too low a mesh?)

- Brian
12 Nov 2017   [#29] In reply to [#28]
Hi Brian, yes a mesh angle of 1 degree will generate very dense display meshes. That would make it likely to run out of memory when dealing with more complex geometry and also take quite a bit more time as well.

- Michael
12 Nov 2017   [#30] In reply to [#28]
Hi Brian,

I set angle to 1 and reproduced this error. I'll add a couple of checks in Output node to avoid this error, but first I'll test NE with upcoming MoI v4.
Also it seems that mesh angle affects on factories performance, so it will be better to use larger values with nodeeditor.
13 Nov 2017   [#31]
Thanks Michael, Max, and James.
- Brian
14 Nov 2017   [#32]
Under MoI4, my incomplete draft 2D truchet tile (.js) script is lightning fast, with no edge "flicker". :-)
- B
14 Nov 2017   [#33] In reply to [#32]
Hi Brian, yeah that will be because of the change in threading model for how scripts are run. In MoI v3 scripts were run in a separate process and used inter-process communication with MoI.exe to retrieve properties and such. That has a fair amount of overhead but it also made it difficult for an errant script to lock up MoI because it could be torn down any time by killing the worker process. In V4 the .js script file for a command is run on the main thread so there's no interprocess communication (same as if in V3 you moved your code over to the .htm file) so a lot less overhead, but it's also easier for it to lock things up if it doesn't behave well like if it just churns away continuously in a loop too much.

- Michael
16 Nov 2017   [#34]
Using Notepad++ only, I just lost 1.5 hours work on my draft script documentation, despite multiple saves :-(
And I was doing such a good job too.

- Brian
16 Nov 2017   [#35] In reply to [#34]
Bummer.
What happened?
16 Nov 2017   [#36] In reply to [#35]
Hi Mike,
I made a bunch of edits of documentation, saving about a dozen times.
Then I decided to close Notepad++. There was a message that some directory was gone, and did I want to save the file.
I clicked yes, , and that was the end of my file, but I still have the one from yesterday.
Note that Notepad++ will sometimes backup to appdata, and that there is a 3 level backup system under Notepad++/Settings/Preferences/Backup
none, simple, and verbose. In ignorance, mine was set to none. Now it is set to simple.
( I have had some recent file copy problems/weirdness...)
- Brian
16 Nov 2017   [#37] In reply to [#36]
Hi Brian, I'd be worried that your hard drive may be dying. Might be a good time to make a full disk image backup to an external drive, and try to check SMART status https://www.howtogeek.com/134735/how-to-see-if-your-hard-drive-is-dying/

- Michael
16 Nov 2017   [#38] In reply to [#37]
Thanks for the link Michael.
CrystalDistkInfo says drive are good.
I'll do a backup this PM...
Cdrive is SSD, and I also have D and G drive.

- B
16 Nov 2017   [#39] In reply to [#36]
So is mine - now!
Thanks for the tip.

Show messages:  1-19  20-39  40-49