MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: guess how this was made....

2 Nov 2017   [#1]
I was playing around with MoI and this popped up.... with very little effort!

Attachments:
3did234534.3dm

Image Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 20.58.38.jpg 

2 Nov 2017   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi wim, my guess is a fillet with Blend shape with a high "Bulge" factor?

One of the things that may be painful about doing fillets with a different library than the current one is that this type of fillet shape is not supported by too many libraries. It may end up being hard to keep this feature when it comes time to try and improve fillets unfortunately...

- Michael
3 Nov 2017   [#3]
Almost correct Michael, only it was done in 3 steps, first fillet the rectangle, extrude it then fillet top and bottom edges. it doesn't have large roundings when filleting a box at once. box is 100x100x100mm.
what I like about it is that a rather complex shape can be generated with just a few functions/parameters starting from a box!

Image Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 10.29.36.jpg  Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 10.33.08.jpg 

3 Nov 2017   [#4]
ps. I didn't understand your library story though, but never mind, I am a user, not a programmer ;-)

wim
3 Nov 2017   [#5]
Couldn't a choice of libraries be implemented per action by check box?
3 Nov 2017   [#6] In reply to [#4]
@wim - well, the main strategy that I want to try for improving fillets is to use a different geometry library. But other geometry libraries do not necessarily implement all the exact same functions that the current one does. The Blend shape fillet option is the one that's kind of unusual.

@Mike K4ICY - it could be possible for a while to have a "switch between libraries" method but doing that means I have to pay to license both libraries at the same time. I'm not sure if I'd be able to do that forever, maybe though. It would reduce complexity overall to try and focus on one.

- Michael