MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: SHELL REBUILD - USING NETWORK CURVES

Show messages:  1-20  21-24

29 Oct 2017   [#21] In reply to [#20]
Hi Kevin,

If you follow the beginning of the post the objective was to create an untrimmed surface so that I can apply either RHINO plugins Panelling Tools or Armadillo

https://wiki.mcneel.com/labs/panelingtools

http://www.food4rhino.com/app/armadillo

The controls points can be viewed from either MOI or RHINO and the wireframe that BARRY posted yielded the best result so that I could apply both plugins.

Hope that helps clearing the objective.

Regards
Alex
29 Oct 2017   [#22] In reply to [#21]
Kevin,

I don't see a contact email on your site, can you answer a question here about what happens to the object if the SolidWorks file is opened on another installation without the plugin?
Does it preserve the surface quality?
Are the curves/surface editable?
30 Oct 2017   [#23] In reply to [#22]
chrisd,

The SolidWorks file can be opened on other computers without the plugin. It preserves the surface quality (XNurbs generates native CAD surfaces, i.e., trimmed NURBS surfaces. So you can also save it in other formats, e.g., IGES, and it also preserves the surface quality.) To edit the XNurbs features, you will need to install the plugin. If you just need to use the plugin for a short time, then you can install a trial version, which is fully functioned.

The attached files are SolidWorks files with XNurbs features. You need SolidWorks 2017 SP4.1 or later to open the files. Just let me know if you have any problem.

Kevin

Attachments:
Cylinder.SLDPRT
Fillet.SLDPRT

30 Oct 2017   [#24] In reply to [#21]
AlexPolo,

I am not sure I understand you.

I need to remind you again: please do not use the curves you sent to me in production. The wireframe is heavily overlapped and twisted. XNurbs has to downgrade surface quality and waste a lot of control points to handle these curve constraints. In your wireframe, for two connected points at a corner, one point is actually 5 mm above the other – very bad conflict constraints! Your screenshot shows XNurbs generates dense control points at the four corners – it indicates problems in your input. We are looking for some bad samples, e.g., heavily overlapped/twisted constraints, and your example is perfect for us. Thank you. However, if you were a designer, I don’t know why you also need such an example.

Kevin

Show messages:  1-20  21-24