MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Performance under Wine

19 Oct 2017   [#1]
Hello. I was wondering if anybody has the same performance issues under wine as I have. Mouse movement seems sluggish, when drawing simple rectangles the cursor lags behind, after drawing only a few shapes camera rotation and panning becomes really slow, selecting stuff happens with a considerable delay. I now Linux is not officially supported but I've seen a few posts around here about it, so I just wanted to know if there are any tweaks I could do to make it more usable.
Specs:
Ubuntu 16.04 kernel 4.10
with Wine 2.19
nVidia gtx 970 with 375.66 proprietary driver
i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz × 8
16 Gigs RAM
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
Also tried in Crossover Linux and got the same problems.
19 Oct 2017   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi daniii, kind of sounds like you're getting a software OpenGL driver running instead of the hardware accelerated one.

Could you see if you can get the diagnostic information on what driver Wine is actually using as described here? :
https://wiki.winehq.org/3D_Driver_Issues

- Michael
19 Oct 2017   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hello. Thank you for the reply. I've attached the wine log.

Attachments:
wine.log

19 Oct 2017   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi daniii, thanks for trying that. It doesn't look like it's getting any software OpenGL driver being used. Unfortunately I don't know what the problem might be though.

- Michael
19 Oct 2017   [#5] In reply to [#1]
Hello Danii,

I'm using MoI on a very old laptop with opensuse leap 42.1 and wine (v1.8.2). Did you try some configurations with winecfg. I'm using "Allow windowmanager to decode the window and control the window. Also use a virtual desktop in the graphic configuration. Under Applications I use Windows 7 for the MoI.exe. Under libraries gdiplus (??). Maybe it helps.

Have a nice day
Karsten
19 Oct 2017   [#6]
Thank you Karsten and Michael.
I tried winecfg but not much changed. I'll look into it further.
19 Oct 2017   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi daniii, are you using 32-bit Wine or 64-bit Wine ?

- Michael
20 Oct 2017   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hi. I tried both 64 and 32 bottles trough PlayOnLinux. I also installed on a laptop with the nVidia 1050 and works way better (even though it shouldn't).
I also removed my 64 installation of wine and installed the 32 bit version 1.8 and got the same problems.
20 Oct 2017   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi daniii, sorry I don't really have any ideas on why that's not working well.

Things will be set up a little different with MoI v4, it will be 64-bit and when running on Wine it will use OpenGL for the 3D display instead of Direct3D. That should be a much thinner pass through for the API and maybe will avoid whatever combination that is problematic.

- Michael
20 Oct 2017   [#10] In reply to [#9]
That is great news. Can't wait to try it.
20 Oct 2017   [#11] In reply to [#1]
Hi Daniii,

about year ago I tried to use MoI with Linux. Unfortunately I could not make it work with an original Nvidia driver. MoI works perfectly with Nouveau driver, but this driver doesn't support CUDA, so you can't use GPU renders with it.
In my opinion the quality of Nvidia drivers for Linux and Mac OS is very low.
23 Oct 2017   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Hello Max,
Thank you for the tip, but when i try to switch to Nouveau i get a black screen on boot. I need to boot with nomodeset, and install the proprietary driver. I also do a lot of rendering in Blender using the GPU. For now I will use V3 for creating small parts of the projects and bring them all together in something else like VariCAD and Blender. Maybe I'll have better luck with the V4 beta.