MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: not every selected letter is being extruded

Show messages: All  1-2  3-6

16 Oct 2017   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Pierre,
I can't explain why those letters don't extrude, but I can tell you how to extrude them.

Click on the letter, then on the edges of the surfaces. Ctrl-c to copy them, ctr-v to paste them. The edit/join to form a closed curve - check in the top right hand corner. If not a closed curve you've probably missing part of an edge.

Once you have a closed curve extrude works fine.

Mike.
16 Oct 2017   [#4] In reply to [#1]
Hi Pierre, I think it has something to do with the small sized edges in these areas:

However as others mention above it seems fine when extruding those curves directly rather than extruding the surfaces. I'll try to investigate why that is different. For the moment to get the extrusion to work you can select edges and extrude the edge curves rather than extruding a surface.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
pierre_extrude1.jpg  pierre_extrude2.jpg  pierre_extrude3.jpg 

16 Oct 2017   [#5] In reply to [#1]
Hi Pierre, it looks like the capping part of the extrusion is failing on the n I think because of the gap between these edges here:

There's a similar spot on the "a" as well.

What font was this created from? Probably the best fix would be to try and get those endpoints tuned up in the surfaces right when they're created from the font.

When you extrude the curves those spots do get snapped together so the curve extrusion works ok. It's a little more difficult to modify trimming boundaries in the same way so that's why the surface extrusion fails if capping is enabled.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
pierre_extrude4.jpg  pierre_extrude5.jpg 

17 Oct 2017   [#6]
Thanks for your fast replies. It's much appreciated. The problem only occured with that specific font. I tried other fonts and they all did fine.

Thanks again,
Pierre

Show messages: All  1-2  3-6