MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: High Sierra maCOS 10.13

Show messages:  1-20  21

15 Sep 2017   [#1]
Will it still work?
15 Sep 2017   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Robert, I'm not sure yet but I think so. I would hold off on updating for a bit though until any problems are worked out. I think there will be some kind of warning message displayed with the current MoI version since it's 32-bit but that will be solved by MoI v4 which will be 64-bit.

- Michael
26 Sep 2017   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi!

I've upgrade to MacOS X High Sierra and Moi3D is not working anymore.
It displays the main menu at the top bar but nothing else...

Could you please take a look?

Best Regards,
Javier
26 Sep 2017   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Hi Javier, I've just been doing some testing with High Sierra to try and figure it out.

Please try the following:

Right-click the MoI app and choose "Show package contents".

Inside there run the Wineskin.app

On the dialog that pops up, click the "Set screen options" button.

Uncheck the option for "Auto Detect GPU info for Direct3D" and then push "Done".

Push "Quit".

Restart your machine to make sure no previous instances of MoI with other settings are running.

Now try running MoI again.

Any better? - Michael
26 Sep 2017   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi Michael,

After following your instructions, if works!!!
For your information I'm using a MacBook 12".

Thanks,
Javier
26 Sep 2017   [#6]
Thanks for your help, Michael. Unchecking the option works for me too.

I've got a reasonably old iMac with an NVidia GPU. The CUDA driver update always follows at least a few days after the MacOS update. Maybe Wine crashes because it expects a CUDA driver for the NVidia GeForce?

Anyway, it won't be long until we won't need Wine anymore. :)
26 Sep 2017   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi Metin, it looks like the bug is in Wineskin, there's something different about how High Sierra formats some GPU text information and it triggers a parsing crash bug in Wineskin which just by luck happened to be avoided previously.

I'll wait for a little while and if it looks like there aren't any other problems running in High Sierra I'll make a new 3.2 release which will have that setting off by default. That will be the only change so it won't be necessary to update to it if you've already changed the setting as described above.

One of the things that should be good about v4 with the native Mac build instead of Wineskin is that it ought to be less sensitive to changes in the operating system.

Thanks,
- Michael
27 Sep 2017   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hi Michael,

That's great regarding MoI V4. Did I hear you say the first beta will be released tomorrow? ;)
27 Sep 2017   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi Metin, well I could release it tomorrow but it doesn't have selection working quite yet so not entirely in working order just quite yet.

But not much left - selection then some shader work should get it to a useful state finally. It's been a lot more work than I had thought!

- Michael
29 Sep 2017   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the update. I can lively imagine that it has been more work than you thought. I can't even grasp the complexity of NURBS math, let alone the quest to turn it into a user-friendly experience like MoI.

Good luck with the last bits!

Have a nice weekend,
5 Oct 2017   [#11]
v3.1 works fine under High Sierra but very long to start, possibly due to wine ?
( I read long time ago that there was something to erase somewhere to refresh that, but can't remember what. )

Can't wait for the V4 MacOs version :
-> to Mickaël, Do you have any date estimation for a native OSX working release ?
I've being waiting years for that now !!!
5 Oct 2017   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Hi Etro,

re:
> ( I read long time ago that there was something to erase somewhere to refresh
> that, but can't remember what. )

Check if there are any old preference files that have accumulated, see here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6339.2

-> to Mickaël, Do you have any date estimation for a native OSX working release ?

Whenever I make a guess it's always been wrong, but currently I'd like to have the first beta release out by the end of this month.

- Michael
6 Oct 2017   [#13] In reply to [#12]
The end of this month would be great. I really hope so!

Have a nice weekend y'all,
12 Oct 2017   [#14] In reply to [#4]
You are a star Michael! Your instructions fixed the issue for me as well. Thank you very much!
12 Oct 2017   [#15] In reply to [#14]
You're welcome Kroete, I'm glad that fixed it for you. Please let me know if you see any other problems running on High Sierra - if nothing else needs fixing to run there I'll make a new 3.2 release with this setting changed in it by default.

- Michael
21 Oct 2017   [#16]
it's working now after I unchecked the box in Wineskin !!!! thank you !!!
9 Nov 2017   [#17] In reply to [#16]
Hi everyone,

First time caller here, I just installed the 10.13.2 Beta2 (because I enjoy frustration) and just a heads up that the Wineskin auto detect GPU checkbox fix no longer allows MoI to boot.

I know that there's a plan to release an OSX native version before too long, but between now and then, folks should know that updating to 10.13 breaks MoI.

Thank you for your time.

-kirk
9 Nov 2017   [#18] In reply to [#17]
Hi kirk, well that's a bummer but thanks for reporting it... Maybe it's from something that they'll fix before coming out of beta. I just updated the MoI mac version to a 3.2 release which has the auto detect GPU option off by default now. The first beta of MoI v4 that has a native Mac build and doesn't use Wineskin anymore is just a couple days away.

- Michael
10 Nov 2017   [#19]
Thank you Michael, it works :)
4 Feb 2018   [#20]

Hi Michael,

Upgrading my OS to high sierra, I had the same problem than JAVIER.
It was fixed with you wineskin instructions: Thank you !

Then I read about the V3.2. I downloaded it and get an error message trying to open it:

" ERROR ! cannot write to info.plist, there are permission problems or you are on a read-only volume. This cannot run from within a read-only dmg file "

- Are there in V3.2 other improvement than the automated wineskin fix ? If not, then I'm fine with the V3.1 fixed with your instructions.

If yes, do you have any advice to get rid of the error message above ?

- After V3,2, I downloaded the V4 beta and for now it's delightful :)

I plan to upgrade from V3 to V4.
Regarding price, will the V4 be cheaper for V3 owners as it was for V2 owners upgrading to V3 ?

Thank you !

Show messages:  1-20  21