MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Union Boolean

15 Sep 2017   [#1]
I have been attempting to Union Boolesn several intersecting objects into a second object in the attempt to make one united object.
It isn't seeming to work. Can I do a Union Booleen all at once? I'll post the model later this morning.

Attachments:
model for forum.3dm

15 Sep 2017   [#2] In reply to [#1]
I worked through this and I found my problem. My learnings start with well built and organized curves. Be careful always using illustrator splines unless they are well built.
15 Sep 2017   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Here is nothing for Boolean,
outside and inside wall has 0 thickness,
so you trims only outside and inside surface....
15 Sep 2017   [#4] In reply to [#1]
Hi Mike, sounds like you have worked this out already? Please let me know if you need any more help with it.

And yes, it is a good idea to check over curves coming from Illustrator files. Some types of messy structures like curves with little self-crossing loops in them can be in there since they don't cause big problems when doing 2D print work with the curves but will be much more problematic when trying to build 3D solid geometry from them.

- Michael
20 Sep 2017   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hello Michael,

Thank you for response. Yes I discovered the need to be careful and precise while creating curves in Abobe Illustrator. Like many of we designers I prefer drawing in Illustrator because of familiarity and extent of additional drawing tools and helpful plug0ins that make it seemingly a very powerful tool for drawing splines. I certainly would prefer to draw all needs in Moi3d if the drawing tool set was as robust as possible. The other hurdle for me is just the difference between the worlds of CAD (engineering methods) and Graphic Design drawing methods.

Hope you understand what I mean and over time please add to the editing and productivity tool options in your great application!

Sincerely,

Mike