MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: topo

5 Sep 2017   [#1]
Hi All ..
I have here a very messy grouping of surfaces made up over many revisions. I want to combine them into one joined surface, if possible or create a new top only surface.
Is there a way to do that?
Is there a simple way to do that?
I have considered placing points all over it and using Rhino's 'drape' but that's a fair amount of work and I don't know if it would work.
Please help if you can.
thanks,
eric

Attachments:
topo.3dm

5 Sep 2017   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi eric, I don't know of any easy way to do that in MoI. Drape in Rhino could be worth a try - you don't need to manually place any points for it, it generates points automatically at regular intervals inside the rect that you drag out. But it will have stair stepping artifacts in places where there is a sudden dropoff so you'd need to build out a few additional surfaces so you could do the drape over a rectangular area.

Maybe a polygon modeling retopo would work, do you have 3D Coat? If so you might try loading it into the Voxel sculptor then export it back out again and see what kind of quad polygon structure it makes.

There isn't a whole lot that comes to mind as an easy way to simplify that...

- Michael
5 Sep 2017   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Thanks Michael
I had just about decided I will have to rebuild from scratch.
I tried 'drape' and it did not work with this messy model. I have patched and joined too much.
cheers,
eric

I can hardly wait for the Ver 4 beta.
7 Sep 2017   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Eric,

You might try the Patch command in Rhino, it's similar to Drape but might provide more flexibility.

Best,
Kevin