MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Crash

4 Sep 2017   [#1]
Hi Michael. Can you give me a better idea of what happened here? Thanks.

Description:
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: MoI.exe
Application Version: 2.0.2010.527
Application Timestamp: 4bff2433
Hang Signature: 1807
Hang Type: 0
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Hang Signature 1: 1807c9dd0a841394f79ac3d65c2ed08d
Additional Hang Signature 2: dfb8
Additional Hang Signature 3: dfb8b85f810442ab21f79b80ee87da5e
Additional Hang Signature 4: 1807
Additional Hang Signature 5: 1807c9dd0a841394f79ac3d65c2ed08d
Additional Hang Signature 6: dfb8
Additional Hang Signature 7: dfb8b85f810442ab21f79b80ee87da5e
4 Sep 2017   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Sebastian, could you describe a bit about what you were doing when that happened, were you loading a large file or something like that?

If it was a complex file it could be possible that MoI was still crunching away on loading the file, if it still showed up in task manager and is using CPU it was probably busy working on processing the file. It will appear to Windows that MoI is not responding during that time.

- Michael
4 Sep 2017   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Is it Linux or Unix or Mac?.
- Brian
6 Sep 2017   [#4]
PC is Windows 7, i7 @ 3.5GHz, 32 GB Ram

The model was an imported step file from Siemens for a cavity plate. Was just doing (what I consider) ordinary stuff i.e. creating cutouts for inserts. Not much else to tell. Its really annoying because I lost an hours work and took an hour to catch up again :(
6 Sep 2017   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi Sebastian, sorry you lost your work. Please let me know if you run into it again and if you can figure out what steps make it happen.

Also if Windows pops up any dialogs that say something like "MoI is not responding do you want to close it" don't say yes to that. If the task manager shows that MoI is using CPU it means it's busy crunching on something.

It looks like you're still running MoI v2 ? It also could be possible that whatever problem you ran into is fixed in MoI v3 but I can't know for sure without being able to reproduce the bug over here.

- Michael
7 Sep 2017   [#6]
Too be honest Moi is generally very stable. Makes it all the noticable when something does go wrong. I'm wondering if it isn't down to usable RAM...
7 Sep 2017   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi Sebastian, yes running out of RAM can be a problem, that will finally be solved with v4.

If you are working on heavy models currently, it can help to adjust the display mesh density to be looser, that will cut down on memory consumption by quite a bit. To do that, go to Options > View > "Meshing parameters" (at the top), and set "Mesh angle" to a looser angle like 25 degrees and uncheck "Add detail to inflections".

That will make for a somewhat rougher looking shaded surface display but also consume a lot less memory.

- Michael