MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Open multiple projects?

30 Aug 2017   [#1]
Is it possible to open multiple projects, simultaneously? I'm running v3 on a Mac. In the "windows" drop-down, there is the option to cycle through windows. But I can't seem to actually open more than one project at a time.
What am I missing here?

Thanks!
30 Aug 2017   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi sneather, use the main MoI menu at the top, the one labeled "MoI v3.1" - there's a "New Window" menu item there that will open up a new instance.

- Michael
30 Aug 2017   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Oh man...I really should have asked this question a LONG time ago. What a helpful thing for workflow.

As always, thanks so much, Michael!
1 Sep 2017   [#4] In reply to [#2]
Hi Michael
Is that just an option for the MAC version. I'm not seeing it on my PC version
cheers,
eric
1 Sep 2017   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi eric, that particular menu item is only for the Mac version, because unlike Windows the Mac OS doesn't normally launch multiple instances when you click the application icon. For Windows you can launch another window just by clicking whatever shortcut you used to launch MoI the first time, or if you have it pinned to the task bar right-click it and there's an option to launch a new instance on that menu. Basically in Windows that option is built into the operating system itself so that's why MoI doesn't have its own menu for it.

- Michael
2 Sep 2017   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Thanks Michael,
Very useful information. I did not know about the right click to open another instance. I often work with two at a time but a more round about was used to get there.
cheers,
eric
2 Sep 2017   [#7] In reply to [#6]
For what it's worth, this is what I do:

Press one of the Windows keys on the keyboard.
Start typing MoI
A window opens with Best Match MoI 3.0 at the top of the window
Press enter.

I'm running Windows 10 but I think this feature was available on some previous Windows versions.

Mike.
4 Sep 2017   [#8]
Hi Michael,

I sometimes make use of this possibility. Will this remain an option in the native mac version of MoI V4?

Thanks,
4 Sep 2017   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi Metin, yes the "New Window" menu item will be in MoI v4 Mac version as well. There is one difference though which is that an additional icon will appear in the dock for it.

- Michael
4 Sep 2017   [#10] In reply to [#9]
That's good news, thanks Michael.