MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Download problems

21 Aug 2017   [#1]
Hi Michael:
Sure hope you can help me here.
I've lost my copy of MOI and desperately have been trying to re-download it here with negative results. I believe that I have followed all suggestions that I have found here on the forum. I moved the file from the downloads folder to the applications folder as per your instructions but get an ERR0R - Cannot write to plist permission problems or you are on a read only file message.
I've tried to download the file many times, but now it's time to holler H E L P !!!
21 Aug 2017   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Here is some info re Mac

re plist: http://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8159.1

Some other posts:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8497.3
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=8202.3
- B

I ran google search on "error cannot write to info plist there are permission problems mac"
and got some hits. (Not having a Mac, I'll make no more comment:-)
21 Aug 2017   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Thank you for your help bemfarmer.
I'll track down your leads tomorrow. I'll let you know how I make out.
21 Aug 2017   [#4] In reply to [#1]
Hi Pappy, you also might try moving it to your Desktop and see if it will run from there. Also double check to make sure you're really moving the entire .app over and not just making an alias or something to it.

Another thing is how exactly are you moving the file over, are you doing it by dragging it in finder or are you maybe using some other utility program to do it?

- Michael
21 Aug 2017   [#5] In reply to [#1]
Another thing you can do is remove the com.apple.quarantine extended attribute that Safari puts on downloaded files and which is what triggers the "Gatekeeper Path Randomization" mechanism that makes the app read-only and makes MoI have that error.

There's some info on how to remove com.apple.quarantine here:
https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2012/11/20/clearing-the-quarantine-extended-attribute-from-downloaded-applications/

If you have MoI in /Applications, the terminal command to do this would be:

sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/MoI\ v3.1.app/

You'll need to enter in your admin password. If you copy the app over into /Applications that's supposed to be automatically removed but it seems that it isn't happening for your case. Are you maybe using a different method to copy the file, or copying the .zip file over first instead of the unzipped app? Whatever the reason hopefully manually removing that attribute will do the trick.

- Michael
22 Aug 2017   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Still having no luck following the various suggestions that I've received.
I did not use Safari to do my downloading but rather Chrome. Should that make a difference?

Michael I just had a thought here.
If I upgrade to version 3.1 right now, will that get me back on track??
Can you take my order and credit card info here, or do I have to go to your order page?

Thank you for your help.

LM
22 Aug 2017   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi Pappy,

> Still having no luck following the various suggestions that I've received.

Did you try the terminal command to remove the com.apple.quarantine attribute?

> I did not use Safari to do my downloading but rather Chrome. Should that
> make a difference?

Possibly - does Chrome automatically unzip the download and leave just the .app in your Downloads folder? Or do you get the .zip file and you're copying the .zip file into Applications and unzipping it there?

> Michael I just had a thought here.
> If I upgrade to version 3.1 right now, will that get me back on track??

I had assumed you were running version 3.1 already - version 3.1 is the only MoI version that runs on macOS Sierra. If you're running an older version of MoI like v2.52 you'll get a different error message even after the 'Info.plist is read only' error is resolved.

I'd recommend testing with the trial version of 3.1, does that work ok for you or do you see the same problem?

> Can you take my order and credit card info here, or do I have to go
> to your order page?

You'd need to go to the order page, but since I don't know the exact cause of the problem you're seeing it's probably a good idea to test with the trial version to make sure that works ok first.

Maybe I'd better get some more information like what MoI version are you trying to use and what operating system version are you running on.

- Michael
4 Sep 2017   [#8] In reply to [#7]
Hi Michael:

First of all my apologies for taking so long to reply but I have not been feeling well for the past while.

I am now happy to report to you that I have successfully been able to download and run Moi ver 3.1. Your last message to me made me realize that it was my fault that things appeared to not be working out for me. I was trying to re-download Moi ver 2.52 and run it on Mac OSX ver 10.12.6 which of course will not work, but I did not know that at the time so I kept on trying. (I'm stubborn, or is that stupid?) I took your advice and downloaded the trial version of Moi 3.1 and of course it worked. So I quickly went to the Moi purchase page, and the rest is history.

Thank you for your help Michael.

If you still need answers to all the questions you asked, just let me know.

Pappy
4 Sep 2017   [#9] In reply to [#8]
You're welcome Pappy, I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well.

- Michael