MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Twisted Torus

9 Jul 2017   [#1]
Hey guys

I've been attempting to model this geometrical object as shown in the video. Twisted Torus

https://youtu.be/3_VydFQmtZ8?t=581

I'm interested in hearing your oppinion about what approach you think would be the best
Tradional modelling or some sort of script perhaps?

Cheers
Nick

Message 8510.2 was deleted

9 Jul 2017   [#3] In reply to [#1]
I was able to model the two piece bagel, made with straight line segment knife, rotated 360 degrees,
using center axis of torus unwrapped as base line for flow. The unwrapped line is also the center line of two one-turn helices with one rotated 180 degrees.
The line segment knife is swept along the two helices as rails. The sweep is the source for the flow.
The center axis is the target for the flow.
Next the torus and swept knife were divided into 4 quadrants, using circular array, because otherwise trimming doesn't seem to work properly.
Each quadrant is trimmed by the quadrant of the swept knife.
The swept knife quadrants were trimmed by the torus quadrants, to make the face where the cream cheese goes.
Appropriate parts were colored and joined, to make 2 interlocked solids, as per the first part of the video.

Maybe tonight will try the other models...

- Brian
9 Jul 2017   [#4] In reply to [#1]

Hello,

I will probably use twist and flow for this (hoping I really understand the concept).
However the final fillet need to be done in Fusion.

Image Attachments:
TwistAndFlow.jpg 

9 Jul 2017   [#5]

Hello,

Actually the twist angle should be i*360 + 180 ... here's the 540 degree version.

Image Attachments:
TwistAndFlow_540.jpg 

10 Jul 2017   [#6]
The toroidal helix script of Michael can be modified to produce (at least some of) the cuts.
The number of turns must include fractional turns, like 1.5.
Also negative numbers may need to be entered for one or both of the two radii to get the correct handedness.
Had to run the mod script a couple of times with different +/- radii...
Well, it is late, and needs more investigation...
- Brian

Message 8510.7 was deleted

Message 8510.8 was deleted

11 Jul 2017   [#9] In reply to [#6]
Respect , thats a creative use of MOIs toolkiet !
11 Jul 2017   [#10] In reply to [#9]
PaQ can always pull a rabbit out of his hat....

I wish to be a fly, buzzing around that monster!
13 Sep 2017   [#11]
Hey!
(Sorry about the slow reply, totally forgot about posting this question)

Thanks alot for taking the time. And PaQ, thats one hell of a solution. Thanks so much for this, lovely :)