MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Looking for car modeling tutorials

Show messages:  1-12  13-32  33-48

24 Apr 2017   [#13] In reply to [#12]
Funny, this is the first forum where I ever heard of automobiles as organic. I mostly hear them referred to as hard surfaces like spaceships, robots, etc...

Cheers Samardac, always appreciate your point of view...
24 Apr 2017   [#14] In reply to [#13]
Kenmo, I use this word to describe shapes not materials from what they was made, so it can better describe this kind of shapes that is more close to shapes that was made by nature.
I think Hard Surface can be everything from table with flat mechanical parts to Bugatti Veyron with more organic like body shape, because they all hard, metal, wood etc. But it do not give us reference to form.
24 Apr 2017   [#15] In reply to [#8]
You restored a car in 1983!!!! Thats cool. I've never worked on car restoration or done any sheet work or body work, but, i'd like to change your door and hood panels....

What would you tute me on to allow me into your garage with a blow torch, a set of hammers, a metal saw and a bucket of bondo?

I want to cut a hole in the hood and door panels and add some nice, smooth detail. I want to start TOMORROW!!!!

Be right over!!! :o
24 Apr 2017   [#16] In reply to [#15]
Oh yeah.... andrei is going to meet me there. He's bringing a bucket of clay and some rubber gloves!
24 Apr 2017   [#17] In reply to [#16]
No blow torch required. It's a first generation Vette, a 1960 Chevrolet Corvette. ALL Corvettes since their inception in 1953 have been fiberglass.

A photo of me standing in front of my car about 17 years ago. The black 59 Corvette in the background belongs to the gent who snapped my photo...

Image Attachments:
p211997721-4[1].jpg 

24 Apr 2017   [#18] In reply to [#17]
I love the 60 Vette! I have a 1960 Dodge that's part way rebuilt so far, unfortunately haven't had time to do anything on it for quite a while though.

It's this kind:

- Michael
24 Apr 2017   [#19]
The old world! ;)

24 Apr 2017   [#20] In reply to [#17]
Righteous Car! And Nice job on it by the way! Although my first fiberglass work happened around 48 years ago, I don't think you want me working on your beauty! I patched dings in my surfboards!
24 Apr 2017   [#21] In reply to [#18]
Total cruiser Michael! I hope you get to take JG and the rabbit out, with the wind in your hair!!!!
24 Apr 2017   [#22]
Does it have the old 392 CI FirePower Hemi? My cruising buddy has a 1968 Dodge Charger with a 383 Magnum. Love Mopars...

I modeled this this evening. It's based on an American Racing Salt Flats wheel which American Racing based on the old Halibrand wheel which was popular among hot rodders and racers at Bonneville.

It took me about an hour to model after super. No NHL hockey games scheduled tonight, so I needed something to pass the time.

I have NO idea how I could have modeled this so quickly in Silo3D or Hexagon3D or Wings3D...

MOI3D appears to be super easy....

Reference images

Image Attachments:
AR Salt Flats good.jpg  AR Salt Flats good.jpg  p2293108677-5[1].jpg  VS35_Bonneville-G.png 

24 Apr 2017   [#23]
In Rocket3F & Hexagon3D (as well as Silo3D) there appears to be a bit of faceting. Obviously something I'm doing wrong.

In 3D Coat 4.7 with a PBR material applied does not look too bad but not pleased with the 5 bars in the middle of the wheel.

Image Attachments:
3DC.jpg  Hexagon3D.jpg  Rocket3F.jpg 

24 Apr 2017   [#24] In reply to [#19]
I love the French Delahaye. One of my all time favorite classics along with the Duesenberg, Cord & Auburn....

The first year I had my Corvette, I did not have a garage for our cold Canadian winters....

[img]http://kenmo.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v123/p1082584419-5.jpg[/img]

Image Attachments:
p1082584419-5[1].jpg 

25 Apr 2017   [#25] In reply to [#22]
Hi Ken,

re:
> Does it have the old 392 CI FirePower Hemi?

Unfortunately no, mine has the standard 361 from that year. It's not running right now but the engine is rebuilt and ready to go back in and all the bodywork is done and it's ready to be painted. Someday... :)

Your model is great for not much time spent! re: Faceting - that's because it's made of plain polygons and not set up as a sub-d model. When you export out from a CAD program the polygon structure you get won't be suitable for further smoothing like you'd do in a polygon modeling program so in order to get it to look smooth you need to increase the mesh density at export time so it has more polygons in it.

- Michael
25 Apr 2017   [#26] In reply to [#25]
Thanks kindly. I'll tinker a bit with the export options...
25 Apr 2017   [#27]
Here is my Audi A7 Tutorial

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7675.1
26 Apr 2017   [#28] In reply to [#27]
Wow...thank you very much...that'll help...

Not a car but here is something I did in a few hours last night after work... It's a sci-fi crane or flying robotic arm. Not sure. Needs detailing and some greebles...

Image Attachments:
Crane01=KRM02.jpg  Crane02=KRM02.jpg 

26 Apr 2017   [#29] In reply to [#28]
A quick render in 3DCoat 4.7 with a PBR material applied

Image Attachments:
Crane in 3DC=KRM.jpg  Crane02 in 3DC=KRM.jpg 

26 Apr 2017   [#30] In reply to [#29]
Hi Ken, looks like you're getting the hang of it quite quickly!

- Michael
26 Apr 2017   [#31] In reply to [#30]
It certainly is a different approach to modeling then I'm used to. BUT it's one of the easiest 3D apps I've ever used. Just not very familiar with some of the technical terms when it comes to NURBS or CAD.

In the 2D world I've tried CorelDraw, Inkscape & Illustrator but found vectors too confusing. But oddly I find your NURBS app very easy to move around in. And surprisingly very quick to get something visualized.

Cheers

Ken
27 Apr 2017   [#32] In reply to [#29]
Hi KENMO!

Very nice!

I'm a big fun of Moi + 3D-Coat ( + Rocket3F). Great workflow and very good results!

See you.

Show messages:  1-12  13-32  33-48