MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: PolyBrush

Show messages:  1-3  4-23  24-43  44-55

13 Feb 2017   [#4] In reply to [#1]
Hi Pilou.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

I already knew PolyBrush and I gave it a try some month ago and I can say that it's a very peculiar and interesting software.

But similar to what Metin said "...but I'm not yet going to jump on the bandwagon, as I've just spent about a year studying ZBrush...",
I can say that after having jumped into 3D-Coat I think that it's really hard to find a sculpting software that can reach the quality
and easy of use of 3DCoat. Very very close to the ZBrush quality but a lot easier.

Anyway, thanks again.

Ciao!
13 Feb 2017   [#5]
Nothing on the market comes close to Moi3d IF (with emphasis on 'if) it has been beefed-up with the CUSTOM GUI - NODES - SCRIPTS - SHORTCUTS wrapped up in a bundle - or as ADD-ONS.

However, the shortcoming is having to CUSTOM-RIG Moi3d by gleaning the forum for USEFUL bits & pieces - and winging-it adding all these glorious nuggets by hand, one by one, which requires a lot of time reading through everything - and cherry picking the latest & greatest - and then not destroying your existing workspace setup.

Having a 'save workspace' environment setting would help -

It would help to organize a grand category of subjects e.g., "NODES" and have all the latest & greatest in a zip file for one download & install.

Not to mention the 'HOT KEY ZIP" download & install -

And finally - the 'SCRIPTS' download and install zip file -

Possibly the CUSTOM ICONS & MOI SKINS download and install zip -

That would be useful - plus a GALLERY section!~

Meanwhile - 3d Coat ^ PolyBrush ^ Rocket 3d appear to be interesting complimentary dishes that fit nicely with Moi3d... expanding the horizon from fast-efficient CAD to a madman's daydream of organic modelling.
Yes or no?
14 Feb 2017   [#6] In reply to [#4]
Marco: I am also intrigued by 3D Coat. :D So much software toys to play with, so little time.
14 Feb 2017   [#7]
Neobarok ;) https://neobarok.com/

14 Feb 2017   [#8] In reply to [#6]
Hi Metin!

@You : "...so little time..."

You're absolutely right!

About Polybrush...honestly...using a little amount of my rather limited spare time I'm trying to give it a chance to take a place into my secondary workflow.
But it's a hard work :)
Undoubtedly its creator is a very talented guy, but for what I've seen so far PolyBrush has, at least,
two characteristics that doesn't convince me.

1) A very peculiar and strange UI that is not standard and hard to learn
2) An annoying CPU usage, that is present when I do nothing with it but simply having its window opened.
On my i7 4790K 4.4 Ghz it uses 13-14% CPU !!!
But the strange thing is that when I play with it, creating something or navigating its viewport, its CPU usage goes down.

I have to ask to the developer.

Anyway, PolyBrush, like also Neobarok are very interesting piece of software that could be very useful for me
in a secondary workflow for creating low-poly/quad-mesh objects to import into 3D-Coat/NVIL/Rocket3F.

But their UIs are so far from standard and their easy of use and immediacy is terrible if compared to
state of the art software like Moi and 3D-Coat.

But I will continue to test them in my spare time...

See you.

- Marco (mkdm)
15 Feb 2017   [#9]
Ah yes, Neobarok, one more toy that shouts my name. :D

The Neobarok demo video looks very interesting. Have to check it out. This will mean another sleepless night. :D
15 Feb 2017   [#10]
Hmm… I've just checked out Neobarok and its videos. It looks very promising, but the latest news entries and videos are almost a year old. That makes me wonder if it's still actively developed. Do you happen to know more about Neobarok's current status, Frenchy?
15 Feb 2017   [#11] In reply to [#6]
Hi
>So much software toys to play with, so little time.

I work a 40 hour week with a 2 hour commute as a nurse:(
Keith
15 Feb 2017   [#12]
About Neobarok
As all program developped by one person, new versions don't arrive every week! ;)
Last one was from 7 december 2016 so not soo old!
15 Feb 2017   [#13]
Thanks Frenchy. I just saw that the latest entry of the Neobarok developer's Indiegogo crowdfunding page is from February 6th 2017, so that's reassuring. I'll certainly give the tool a try.
15 Feb 2017   [#14]
Vectary (free online) has some cool functions!
Maybe the more easy!
https://www.vectary.com/

16 Feb 2017   [#15]
OMG, another gem. Thanks Frenchy. Ever thought of starting a blog about your software finds? I would definitely add that to my feeds.
16 Feb 2017   [#16] In reply to [#15]
Hi Metin.

@You : "OMG, another gem..."

Pardon my ignorance but....what "OMG" is ?
16 Feb 2017   [#17] In reply to [#16]
@Marco
Oh My God ! ;)

@Metin
My "blog" (not aespecialy a blog) of these true gems but...seems you will find a little problem! :)
http://moiscript.weebly.com/ (thumb Divers and Divers / Manuels)

Better will be this one (yet more 90 pages) ! :D
I was not the starter (20 nov 2003) third (for me) but became quasi the only one! :)
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?19484-Other-free-applications-discussion-thread

Have happy surfing!
16 Feb 2017   [#18] In reply to [#3]
Hi Metin.

Just a side note...

I can't believe...

Every (let's say about) 4/6 month I wonder myself why I have chose 3DCoat over ZBrush, and I tell to me :
"hey...I don't remember why I didn't buy ZBrush or Zbrush Core, maybe I only have a bad memory...
Let's give this product another chance..."

Well..today I did it again, and I installed (again) the trial 64 bit version of ZBrush.

What can I say ?
...Thanks a lot Pixologic because one more time you just saved me about 800$ :) :)

On my i7 4790K 4.4Ghz 32 Gb ram and an Nvidia Quadro card I can't believe how worse are the overall Zbrush performance compared to 3DCoat !!!
And how it's complex and outdated its UI.

Certainly actually ZBrush still is the best "sculpting" program thanks to the better overall quality of its brushes and for some very powerful
features, like nano mesh, ZSphere and ZModeler, but today I convinced myself that 3DCoat (for me) is absolutely a winner in all other aspects.

And it's half the price of ZBrush :)

Ciao!
16 Feb 2017   [#19]
So what's the BEST way to SAVE AS or EXPORT from Moi3d for the purpose of SURFACE SCULPTING in 3dCoat, and - what settings would you need to use to IMPORT that model? (Maybe I'll move this discussion to 3dCoat's blog...(?) (Mould designs - so they need to be high accuracy)
16 Feb 2017   [#20]
Just wrote this script inspired by neobarok video. :)
Unfortunately MoI's framepicker usage is very limited, so I can't make this script more interactive.

16 Feb 2017   [#21] In reply to [#20]
Wooo that's super cool Max ! Thanks a lot !
I'm used to apply this catenary formula when creating 'long' cable in houdini :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenary

Do you think it's possible to include a similar parameter in the script ? You know, to simulate some weight/gravity on the cable.

... anyway it's already awesome !
16 Feb 2017   [#22] In reply to [#21]
Right now this script uses MoI's Blend factory (I choose the easiest way). I need to write my own curve calculation algorithm first. Then I can add a relaxation feature.
I'll think about it.

16 Feb 2017   [#23] In reply to [#22]
Hi Max,

Not a big deal, it's already very helpful the way it works now ;)

Show messages:  1-3  4-23  24-43  44-55