MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Nodebundle for playing with nodes

Show messages:  1-16  …  437-456  457-476  477-496  497-516  517-536  537-556  557-576  …  1857-1859

Thread Split: Some posts in this thread have been moved here

28 Aug 2017   [#497] In reply to [#496]
Nice node Mike.

I took a very brief look, and see symmetry in the code, for the a,b,c,d, so have no idea.
Will look longer tonight, if someone else does not figure it out first.
The a, b, c, d have to be sequentially added in to the node... (?)

- Brian

By the way, The Pringle reconstituted potato chip has the hyperbolic paraboloid shape, with some sort of rounding.
No Pringle measurements were made, just stuck in 1.618 as a "golden" ratio, as a guess. (Some talk on Alibre forum.)
(Trim can be done with circle, ellipse, etc.)
(The polylines are linear.)
28 Aug 2017   [#498] In reply to [#496]
Hi Mike,

>>I ask because it seems to me that variables B & C have not been implemented in that way that variable A has been.
EDIT: Or perhaps the use of variables has not been implemented for X and Z?<<

The issue is not with X,Y or Z implementation but with variable fields A,B & C (not just B & C).

It is best to wire in all node inputs with Widget or Basic/Const nodes where possible,
as a few node do not register direct numerical inputs, despite having fields for doing so.

And besides, it makes the node circuitry more legible.

James

Image Attachments:
HyperbolicParaboloid.jpg 

29 Aug 2017   [#499]
Hi Karsten and Friends
Well done Karsten......
The new Twist Nod works fine,
coupled with Flow Nod by interesting results, the
Those interested find this link ,my test:http://www.mediafire.com/file/vuuf2yk4d35c5pj/Twist_Test.rar
Have a nice day to all
al
29 Aug 2017   [#500] In reply to [#498]
Thanks, James.
Hopefully in time the entry fields will be fully operational thus removing a source of confusion for those wanting to write a stripped down nod.
In the meanwhile the work around is, as you pointed out, one that has benefits.
Mike.
31 Aug 2017   [#501] In reply to [#497]
Brian, as an exercise I've made a nod based on the 4 variants that you posted for Hyperbolic Paraboloids.
The nod uses the same variable as you posted using discrete inputs to Points/MathPts as James advised and displays all four variants together.
The slider is limited to one decimal place so to get a value of A of 1.618 (as you had) it is necessary the disconnect the slider and to enter 1.618 directly into the A input field in Points/MathPts - which does work as expected (B and C don't).
I did think of making the spacing of the outputs on the screen automatic but concluded that it would make a very confusing nod so I opted to make the spacing manually adjustable via a knob.
The output is 4 solids through the use of Construct/Extrude with a distance of 0.01mm.
Please check that the outputs look right to you.
Thanks, Mike.

Attachments:
Hyperbolic paraboloid 4.nod

Image Attachments:
Hyperbolic paraboloid 05.JPG 

31 Aug 2017   [#502] In reply to [#498]
Hi, James.

Seems to me that the A input field does work in Points/MathPts - as long as there is nothing connected to the A, uh, input button.

Mike.
31 Aug 2017   [#503] In reply to [#501]
Visually, the node looks good.

In the Info panel, the slider "digits" can be increased. The slider can display at most 2 decimal digits, in the current range.
So digits could be increased to 3, but only 2 are displayed in the slider.
It looks like the slider shows as most 2 decimal digits, with the 3rd decimal rounded to two decimal digits.

It is possible to easily edit the interface.js file so as to display more decimal digits in the slider, but I will leave it alone.
There are range limitations to the # of digits displayed, as well.
- Brian
31 Aug 2017   [#504]
A trivial 'real world' nod to produce a printable circular funnel.
As an example I've chosen sizes to match a funnel I made some years ago to facilitate loading peppercorns into a pepper grinder.

Attachments:
funnel circular.nod

Image Attachments:
funnel circular.JPG 

1 Sep 2017   [#505] In reply to [#504]
Welcome to the Elephant
World...... Mike.
Perhaps, for such a simple object, I think that,
start with a profile, then create a revolution
is the best method ....
Maybe many less Nod ???? ...
In every case appreciable
best
al
1 Sep 2017   [#506] In reply to [#504]
Hello Mike,

it makes me happy to see the different aspects of the application. Especially when the results will end in real world parts. Methods and complexity will automatically increase. And used in the right place, productivity will also increase:-)

Have a nice day
Karsten
1 Sep 2017   [#507] In reply to [#505]
Thanks for the suggestion, Al, I'll think about it.
Mike.
1 Sep 2017   [#508] In reply to [#506]
Thanks, Karsten. I have plans to increase complexity by making a nod for a 'universal' funnel. That is, a funnel that has square round elements.
Mike.
1 Sep 2017   [#509] In reply to [#506]
Hi Karsten,

I am happy to see you back on the forum & hope you are well.

I wonder if you wanted to have a play around with something node-wise,
if you could have a look at extending your text node, so that it could be utilised
for numbering pt arrays as per my earlier posts:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7777.448
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7777.453

This would be a real boon for the more complex indexing of arrays.

If you could, I would be forever in your debt!

James
1 Sep 2017   [#510]
A more ambitious - and complex - funnel nod. The 'universal funnel'.
This nod is based on rounded rectangles so the top, middle and bottom sections can be rectangular, square or round.
Mike.

Attachments:
funnel universal 02.nod

Image Attachments:
funnel universal 02.JPG 

3 Sep 2017   [#511] In reply to [#509]
Hello James,

it is a little bit complicated to integrate the functionality into one node, possible, but not useful in my opinion - so I made a additional one. Please test it and give a feedback.

Have a nice day

Attachments:
Numbers.nod

Image Attachments:
numbers.png 

3 Sep 2017   [#512] In reply to [#511]
Hi, Karsten, looks wonderfully good to me.

Tiny, tiny typo in both the Numbering and Text nodes you have the label 'Bolt' - should of course be 'Bold'.

Mike.
3 Sep 2017   [#513]
Another perhaps useful nod. Bottle square or round.nod
The output is five solids. I left them separate rather than using 'Union' inside the nod as I thought that the output would be slightly more convenient in that form, though I'm having second thoughts as I type this!

Below shows that sort of bottles that can be produced with the nod. It will not generate oval bottles.
NOTE that the neck is plain - required threads or bead have to be generated separately.
Mike.

Attachments:
Bottle square or round.nod

Image Attachments:
Bottle square round 07.JPG 

3 Sep 2017   [#514] In reply to [#513]
Hello Mike,

it looks like you're having fun:-)

and thank you for your note. I'm not a native speaker, so any improvement is welcome. Here is a corrected version.

thanks and have a nice day
Karsten

Message 7777.515 was deleted

3 Sep 2017   [#516] In reply to [#515]
Thanks for the warning, James.
Mike.

Show messages:  1-16  …  437-456  457-476  477-496  497-516  517-536  537-556  557-576  …  1857-1859