MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Nodebundle for playing with nodes

Show messages:  1-18  …  199-218  219-238  239-258  259-278  279-298  299-318  319-338  …  1859

Thread Split: Some posts in this thread have been moved here

20 Dec 2016   [#259] In reply to [#258]
Hi Al,

>>in some places of the planar mesh has holes.....
when it fails to meet the requirements: flatness ...<<

Planar is very strict in its application. An alternative approach to satisfy your requirements is to select (patternSelectArray) 3 points (rather than 4) of the facets, using the 1st & 2nd points to define a profile and the 2nd & 3rd to define a rail then Sweep. Voila! planar surfaces with no holes: see attached

.>>Your answer in my language and very appreciated by me, and a considerable effort<<

It was no effort at all. I am soon to embark on trip to Cuba, and had been using "translate.google.com" in my dealings with various accomodations, so I simply did one more.

As an native English speaker it is I that is appreciative of your efforts and those of others (Karsten, Marco, Pilou et al).

So thank you, James
22 Dec 2016   [#260] In reply to [#259]
Hello James
I know how to build Loft or Sweep
instead of Surf Planar.....
I just wanted to say, and perhaps I expressed myself badly,
to create of surfaces Planar can serve to test
the subdivision of a surface, into sub-units
which have precisely these requirements ...
In this way, you can see how many modules
fulfill that condition
Make a good Holiday
best
al
23 Dec 2016   [#261]
Hello Friends
I want to share with you
the latter test Fold / Unfold -
Merry Christmas to All
and do resend after theHolidays
best
al
Ps-Files link:http://www.mediafire.com/file/t11fag708nwc7fa/Diamond_Pattern2%282%29.nod http://www.mediafire.com/view/e8awlsk2pwya0xf/Diamond_Pattern2%282%29.jpg
28 Dec 2016   [#262]
Hello Karsten
first of all friend
I hope you had a Marry Christmas....

Some clarifications on Vectors, recently implemented ,
I think it is necessary that we should have in the output vector
a choice :
1- End point of the vector calculated in combine with the base point
2-Curve
3-Vector-visible and not

That would save a lot of redundant mathematical calculations
to define curve and they point applications

Also , it would be nice, to have a node for
Rotate Vector...
input
- Base point of rotation
- Vector reference
- Radians or Degrees _ ( ) / [ ]
Output
like above

I started testing today the Vectors
and at the moment these are the observations
the most important that I wanted to notify you
I can not send files and images,in the traditional way ,
so I refer you to the following link

http://www.mediafire.com/file/azqnowf2ityk6pm/CP_Know_Vector_Rotation.nod
have a nice day
al
30 Dec 2016   [#263]
Hello
I wanted to make a Happy New Year I wish to all ,
especially to friends who share
Elephant-Moi with me ;
Karsten, James, Marco, Pilou and the great Max.
We hope that 2017 is a great year to be remembered,
as for Wine
A little exercise with the theme "Pop Up New Year"
link:http://www.mediafire.com/file/ek2vzfcz2bkcr1c/Pop_Up-_Happy_New_Year.rar
again wishes
best
al
30 Dec 2016   [#264] In reply to [#263]
Thanks a lot Al for all and best wishes for you too!!

In Italian : Buon tutto e forza!! Voi e la vostra terra tenete duro! Non siete soli!! Ciao.

Best wishes to everyone!!

- Marco (mkdm)
31 Dec 2016   [#265] In reply to [#262]
Hello Al,

I have added a rotate function to the vectors. I hope that it fits to your minds, but I didn't get you with "2 Curve" - please explain more detailed. The option for visible is/was under the info panel or do you mean something different? The endpoint option isn't available at the moment, but the point is already internal calculated and I will add it in the future. For the rotation is not a basepoint the center of rotation, rather than a vector. I haven't much time at the moment, so I will post an example later.

Have a nice day and best wishes for the new year to all!
Karsten

p.s.: And thanks to all for all the interesting and inspirational contributions in this forum!
11 Jan 2017   [#266]
Hello Karsten
I saw the great work you've done on vectors
Bravo.....
Ok vector rotate, is exactly what I was wondering ,
Ok dist point to point, but it would be best to read the eventually find
obtained in the icon of the node, as you have done for the Node
Curve length ...

----- I would say that this applies to all icons that read values
and lengths of objects and I would say on Math nodes
I think it is a great help to check the result before,
without the need to connect to other nodes --------

I'm using them to become familiar with them-
It is known to give very useful if you could implement :
1-vector between two points
2- Move vector from point to point
to avoid boring and redundant mathematical calculations-

I'm working an exercise on a structure (Hoberman Poly)
just completed the share with you-
Good start Year and good continuation to all
best
al
12 Jan 2017   [#267]
Hello Karsten and Friends
as mentioned sending the file concerning
an expandable structure
that helped me to test some new nodes
Vector- Separate Trim etc. etc.
I hope it is helpful
best
al
Ps-link:http://www.mediafire.com/file/ay6tti2jvb2zzga/Basic_Expand_4gon_structure.nod
http://www.mediafire.com/view/66zgn6ru6lr5stx/IdxSelect-__value_not_stable.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/view/d3p33pir0nsewpm/Basic_4gon_Expand_Structure%28Hoberman%29.jpg
17 Jan 2017   [#268] In reply to [#267]
Hello Al,

thanks for sharing! Very interessting field, but difficult to solve with the nodeeditor - nevertheless I allways impressed how persistent you work on a problem. Maybe we will find a solution in the future - like loop backs for an iterative soulution or something else - I don't know ...

Let us keep our curiosity and fun!

Have a nice day
Karsten
20 Jan 2017   [#269]
Hello Karsten and Friends
another test
on a expandable polygonal structure
where I used massively
various nodes Vector
I hope it is helpful
best
al
link:http://www.mediafire.com/file/wtew6bm5c3wbbwd/CP-Hob.nod
http://www.mediafire.com/view/pa7ke2oov69rpg1/CP-Hob-1.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/view/0k6ru40sn5902ey/CP_Hob-2.jpg
21 Jan 2017   [#270] In reply to [#269]
Hello Al,

that's a really cool mechanism. Now it's clear for me that vectors can really help;-)
I've made the nodes without an understanding how to really use it and got my motivation by the possibility to display vector fields, but your examples are the right starting point for me to study what is possible in the context of Moi and mechanism.
thanks for sharing!

- Karsten
29 Jan 2017   [#271]

Warning! In order to 'not' get banned I need anyone who finds my posts offensive, or has an anxiety attack - to please stop THIS POST reading immediately.

Alright! Question for the GENIUS BAR - and it must be happy hour?

Seeing how Moi3d is like a buffet - and you go along the table (forum) helping yourself to every course - nodes, scripts, hotkeys, icons, jpg's, png's, zip's, txt and 3dm files freely - hoping you're getting something 'fresh' as opposed to 'rotton' i.e. an old version - the big question is: How do you install all this without screwing up your already custom UI (or anything else!)?

Why can't we have an option? A STANDARD or CUSTOM optional install feature when you download & install your purchase? Then you could simply CHOOSE from the CHECKBOXES which options you'd like to install, and then have a SAVE WORKSPACE AS option - and various GUI SKINS to choose from - as well as ICONS?

See attached items, e.g. the CUSTOM INTERFACE I have which is easy on the eyes, the downloaded NODES which I'm about to install - gingerly - and all the whistle's and bells which are gleaned from the FORUM JUNKPILE:

Image Attachments:
image4.png  loadedGUI2.jpg  ModdedGui.jpg  nodeInstall.png  sideBySide.png 

29 Jan 2017   [#272] In reply to [#271]
Hi Ced,

Welcome to the forum!

I appreciate getting all sorts of ideas for improvements, projects, and features, from yourself, and other forum members.

In response to some of your observations, with the caveat that I am merely
another very enthusiastic user of MoI, with no standing whatsoever, and
am expressing personal opinions. Occasionally I utilize double quotes, "",
to express concepts which may have slight inaccuracies, or not be quite the
proper phraseology.

The "core" MoI version 3 program has a "standard" installation.
MoI is a commercial program with, as far as I know, one developer, namely
Michael Gibson. Solids++ is utilized. In addition Michael has, very professionally, written numerous additional scripts, some "special purpose"
and others very useful. I used up my hotkeys a few years ago. I recollect reading in the forum some years ago that another method of dealing with these additional scripts was desirable, but had a lesser priority.

This gap was filled by Max Smirnov, a very competent programmer, "pro bono."
Max is the author of the Custom Interface, which I have found to be very handy, despite my having "too many" scripts in it, which necessitates scrolling its window.
It might be nice to have some sub-categories, such as spirals and utilities, etc.
I now, for the most part, reserve hotkeys for "one-liner" scripts.
I would hypothesize that at some time, Michael may devise
his own analogous program. Max also created the very cool NodeEditor program, based upon node code from a third party, but it is still in "beta,"
and it is still evolving. In addition, Max has written numerous other high quality scripts.

Others have written "add-on" scripts as well. The ones that I have cobbled
together, often with help, have various amounts of imperfection.

I do not think that it is reasonable to expect that 3rd party "add-on's" be
bundled with a commercial package, due to several reasons. These include
the possibility that the add-ons have defective code, are in beta, or utilize public
domain programs with non-commercial use clauses, or some other legalities.

Regarding Max's NodeEditor, aka project Elephant: Out of respect for Max,
I perceive that other node writers have avoided directly altering Max's
current version NodeEditor.v.0.85, although they have done a mod version, which will have to be altered to match new future versions by Max.
So a lot of these additional nodes do not run on the "stock beta" version.
I find the situation with these additional nodes to be a bit confusing.
So expecting NodeEditor to be bundled, seems to me to be an unreasonable expectation, at this time.

I've been taking a break from the NodeEditor for a while, and have not incorporated Max's latest update.
In the recent past, I've attempted to lighten up it's display, mainly
to avoid using as much toner in a laser printer :-)
Karsten's cursor is nice. Now, back to the plastic number.
I've no interest in a "flame war," or whatever it is called, and
personally think that the commas and periods should follow the quotes...

Sincerely,
- Brian
30 Jan 2017   [#273]
So - Ben - you advise 'not' install what's in the attachment below? Thank you for the explanation on the other 'stuff' which makes for better understanding.

From my seat, it appeared that Moi3d was like a 'buffet' beginning with a bowl of rice, and then where you go get the meat - if you can find it fresh - on the forum.
Sir Pugnacious III

Image Attachments:
image4.png  trepidation.png 

30 Jan 2017   [#274] In reply to [#273]
Hi Ced,

I think that NodeEditor.v.0.85 is well worth installing. I recall that it installs easily.

(You could also install, in and via Max's customUI, as a second copy, NodeEditor.v.0.85mod, a modified version, for testing purposes.)
To make a second copy of NodeEditor in customUI, link: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7713.500

I did install Karsten's yellow cursor, and a bit lighter background.
Karsten's yellow cursor link, and a cursor type remark: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7713.547
I could not get the still fairly dark background any lighter. I think that two or more shades of darkness must be combined or blended somehow, in canvas?
I must have lightened only one of two shades, so the combo still seems medium darkish (?).

Slightly lighter canvas, link: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7713.462

but with Max's latest update to index.htm maybe the non-Max "nodetypes".js will load with Max's v.0.85(?)
(I have not done any testing for 3 months.)

Max's latest index.htm: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7713.572

- Brian

So the subdirectory "nodes" has various node types with a .js extension. (Which are scripts, each of which makes one node box function.)

Another directory is needed, somewhere easy to access, (I'll call it node-files, or better yet node-programs), for node programs (combinations of wired node boxes), with .nod extension.
(I find this slightly confusing.)
30 Jan 2017   [#275] In reply to [#272]
Hello Brian,

>>> So a lot of these additional nodes do not run on the "stock beta" version.

I always try to keep all additional nodes compatible to the actual version of Maxs core development. The core is still untouched - also in the "modified" version. It may be, that there are some bugs - if I know that, I will try to correct them. I've made a lot of nodes that are not my point of interest, but I always try to collect different aspects of the nodeeditor. My intention is to collect a pool of nodes for further developments. A lot of them was going obsolete, but I think that it was not obsolete to create them. I've asked in the past for a better naming - maybe the menue structure is bad, but all these aspects helps to develop the project;-) Every experiment from James, Al, Marco and some others shows what is still missing and I hope that Max can get some useful informations from that.

So if we want a perfect tool - we have to wait ...

Have a nice day
Karsten

p.s.: Do you think it's better not to publish new nodes? I went back to this thread, because a lot of people was worried about that stuff in the main thread- Please let me have this little island
30 Jan 2017   [#276] In reply to [#275]
Hi Karsten,

I must apologies for making inaccurate statements, due to my own limited experience and limited understanding of the additional nodes.
Your very competent efforts are appreciated by myself. I've never written, nor even tried to write (or modify) a ~node.js. That is still
on my to do list :-)

What I was trying to express is that, in the past, running Max's nodeeditor, and trying to load a node-wired-program, without the needed
node.js files being loaded, or being in the node subdirectory, results in missing node-boxes and wires on the canvas.
Has yourself or anyone utilized the new index.htm to load the other node.js files? I'll have to try it out, as time permits.

So I've got your nodebundle as a separate install in customUI, for testing purposes.

"Publishing new nodes" is great!

Sincerely,
Brian

ps, how is your "loxodrome-like" program coming? I'm probably misunderstanding it.
30 Jan 2017   [#277] In reply to [#276]
Hello Brian,

I agree with you that every new version causes problems with node files created with previous versions. And I know that you have made and shared also some great examples. And every change in the interface causes a a lot of work in all nodes - not only my nodes - in Maxs nodes also (great job). But every change means a better system:-)

So let us keep our motivation!

Have a nice day
Karsten

p.s.: The "loxodrome" node is a simple stereoscopic projection node, with very simple math. I will post it next time, if you want to have a look. And I think that your mathematical know how is better than mine;-)
30 Jan 2017   [#278] In reply to [#277]
:-)

Show messages:  1-18  …  199-218  219-238  239-258  259-278  279-298  299-318  319-338  …  1859