MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Parametric design in MoI?

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  …  901-912

6 Nov 2015   [#1]
I searched recently to replace Sketchup with MoI but, even that MoI is more powerful under the hood, still lacks a big feature and this in my opinion is the possibility to make models parametric, like Sketchup Components, or Rhino Blocks, or Inventors iLogic, etc.

Personally I think that if will be implemented this sort of parametrization in MoI will take this software to the next level.

As I can see there is already support for scripting, so maybe just a GUI to link the logic with the objects and make the objects to behave accordingly will be good.

Also driven dimensions and constraints from other parametric softwares are powerful to achieve great results.
6 Nov 2015   [#2] In reply to [#1]
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7552.1 is a discussion held not too long ago concerning Parametric design.
6 Nov 2015   [#3]
Thank you for pointing me that thread. Before to make this post I searched the forum about "Parametric" but I didn't get this result.
6 Nov 2015   [#4] In reply to [#1]
Hi artisanicview, usually "Parametric" refers to something different than Rhino blocks - usually "Parametric" in a CAD sense means that the CAD program maintains a history tree of operations and allows you to go in to that history tree and change parameter values like change the diameter of a hole or change the radius value of a fillet and then have the model be recreated.

Blocks in Rhino are a pretty different mechanism than that - that works more like a kind of object template where you can insert many copies of an object and each copy knows that it is a lightweight copy of the base object template and that helps to keep the file size down for a lot of repeated objects. There is some commonality with updating since you can change the object template and the instances will update to the new object but it's fairly different than editing parameter values of "features" in the history tree like Parametric modeling usually involves.

I do want to have an instancing mechanism in MoI in the future, it's definitely on my radar.

- Michael
6 Nov 2015   [#5]
If you want parametric system try the free Onshape! ;)
9 Nov 2015   [#6] In reply to [#5]
"If you want parametric system try the free Onshape! ;)"

Thank you for answer but unfortunately OnShape is an on-line tool and I need to use a software without any internet connection.
9 Nov 2015   [#7] In reply to [#6]
So FreeCad ?
http://www.freecadweb.org/

or wait a little for have this inside MOi!
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3145.28

9 Nov 2015   [#8] In reply to [#4]
Thank you Michael. I know that blocks are different than "Parametric" but at least it is the most basic way to quickly replace components if the design require to make changes.

Please take a look at the SketchUP component, are plenty of videos in Youtube. The are very simple to make and use but also very effective. MoI already have scripting capabilities, so basically needs to link the scripting with the objects.
9 Nov 2015   [#9] In reply to [#7]
@Pilou: Thank you for the answer.

I tried FreeCAD but it's difficult to use, the interface is very confusing.

MoI is much simpler to use. Only needs some "Components" a la Sketchup, or dimension constraints.

I'm designing furniture, and a lot of elements are repeated tens or hundreds of times. If I need to make adjustments, its very time consuming to adjust every single element individually. In Sketchup, if I'm changing the parameters from one component, all the instances of the same component are updated automatically. Simple, but dead effective. Also the components from SK have some driven logic, so I can add some kind of parametrization.
9 Nov 2015   [#10] In reply to [#7]
Project Elephant: This is generative design. Not exactly what I'm looking for, but also will be useful to have such features in MoI, especially for the architects.
9 Nov 2015   [#11] In reply to [#10]
So maybe free DesignSpark Mechanical ;)
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6186.1
But take this V1 http://zwcad.com.tw/nick/FREE3D/ for have maximum functions!
9 Nov 2015   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Is this running under OSX and Linux?

You see, it is not so simple as it seems. :)
9 Nov 2015   [#13] In reply to [#12]
Only PC :)
14 Nov 2015   [#14] In reply to [#11]
Hi, Pilou...

Could you please elaborate more with the V1 'have maximum functions'?
I would like to know before download it.

Thank you very much in advance.
14 Nov 2015   [#15] In reply to [#14]
You have for example this very cool function Blend who don't more existing in the V2 !!!
;)

16 Nov 2015   [#16] In reply to [#7]
Frenchy Pilou
>> or wait a little for have this inside MOi!
A little? :) I never told that. It will come right after MoI v4, or later, or it will never come at all.
16 Nov 2015   [#17] In reply to [#16]
So a big little during a new moment of inspiration! :)
18 Nov 2015   [#18]

18 Nov 2015   [#19] In reply to [#18]
Seems you don't drop the affair! ;)
Courage!
19 Nov 2015   [#20] In reply to [#19]
Hi Pilou,
In fact I didn't spend a lot of time writing it. I decided to finish the main core script, and then share it with community.
I still do not have plans to write the whole node-system for MoI.

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  …  901-912