MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: MoI 3D - Dark UI

Show messages:  1-20  21

11 Aug 2015   [#1]
Hello everyone,

One year ago I started re-making all the MoI icons + UI in dark but I never finished
See the old thread here http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6531.24

Here's at least attached below the moi.css file and some of the icons I finished
I will maybe one day finish everything correctly

To install backup your moi.css file and your "ui" folder and then replace them

Attachments:
MoI Dark UI v1.zip

13 Aug 2015   [#2]
Hi Samuel,

I'm on a mac. I found and replaced the UI folder, but I can't find a .css file. Do you know where it's located?
13 Aug 2015   [#3] In reply to [#2]
Hi yophie, the moi.css file is located inside the UI folder.

On a mac to find the location right-click on the .app icon and choose "Show package contents", then inside there go to drive_c/moi/ui - that's the UI folder where you can find moi.css.

- Michael
13 Aug 2015   [#4] In reply to [#3]
Oddly enough, I tried this on a Windows 7 system with Moi3D 3.0 installed on a USB Stick and it works fine.
I tried to use it on a Windows 8.1 system and all I get is a blank white screen.
I tried adding the .CSS and UI folder files to the regular install of Moi3D on the Windows 8.1 system and I keep getting "Access Denied" messages. The system absolutely will not let the .htm be written to Moi3D's location.

Has anyone else had success using this color scheme on a Windows 8.1 PC?

Damn security protocols seem to be f__king everything up.

-Fleetfoot
13 Aug 2015   [#5] In reply to [#4]
Hi fleetfoot - by default Windows will prevent modifications to stuff under c:\Program Files (x86) - but if you're using Windows explorer to copy the files it should pop up a message allowing you to authorize the file copy right then.

If you're trying to directly unzip them right into that folder then that may be a bit more difficult since the unzip program probably won't do a dynamic privileges elevation like windows explorer will.

So to solve that, unzip to a temporary location elsewhere like to your desktop and then use explorer to copy the files over, or right-click your unzip program when you launch it and choose "Run as Administrator" to give it elevated privileges - a program that is running with elevated privileges is not prevented from modifying files.

- Michael
13 Aug 2015   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi Michael,

I tried those things and no dice. The moi.css file keeps saying I need permission from S-1-5-21-3930758702359839782-1092893196 to make changes to this file. I don't see that I'm making any changes, merely trying to copy it to another location.

WIndows asks if I want permission to do these copies, then it ignores my consent and denies access anyway - weird!

Also, why the blank white screen when trying to run Moi3D from the USB stick? It works fine on a Windows7 machine, but not 8.1.
Weird again.

Thanks for responding.
Cheers,
Fleetfoot
13 Aug 2015   [#7] In reply to [#6]
Hi Fleetfoot,

re:
> The moi.css file keeps saying I need permission from S-1-5-21-3930758702359839782-1092893196
> to make changes to this file.

That's pretty mysterious.. Maybe something about the ownership of the file is messed up, I guess you might try taking ownership of it something like described here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/308421

Anyway something involving permissions and file ownership is probably messed up on your file system there.

re:
> Also, why the blank white screen when trying to run Moi3D from the USB stick? It works
> fine on a Windows7 machine, but not 8.1.

You mean the very same USB stick runs ok from Windows 7 but not from 8.1 ?

My best guess is that you've got some kind of different anti-virus running on the 8.1 machine which is blocking various files from being accessed. Probably some kind of interfering process like that is likely.

- Michael
21 Aug 2015   [#8]
Hi Samuel,

Thanks for the great work! Tried it and it works cool on my Mac. I may consider some tweaks to reduce contrast between the menus and the workspace. This was one of the first things that I thought would be a nice enhancement to the application UI when I started using MoI.

Background: I'm currently trying/learning MoI (in 30 day trial) and really like it. Its already very productive on my 3D printer.

Regards,
Peet
22 Apr 2016   [#9] In reply to [#1]
Awesome - thank you very much!

Cheers,

Tom
22 Apr 2016   [#10] In reply to [#1]
不好看
24 Apr 2016   [#11]
Hi Samuel,

Thanks for the update !
15 Mar 2017   [#12] In reply to [#1]
this is great thanks for sharing mate :)
5 Dec 2018   [#13]

My favorite MoI UI theme by far...

I wish there was a version for the new MoI 4 :(

3 Nov 2019   [#14]
Hi,

This is by far my favorite MoI theme. What would it take to update it for v4?

Thanks
5 Nov 2019   [#15] In reply to [#14]
Hi,

there is another dark UI by user Cody, I work with it at pleasure. He is supposed to update it soon for the latest October Beta. Try that as an alternative. Look for dark grey UI here to find the link.

Cheers,

Axel
4 Dec 2019   [#16]
@Axel : Username search for "Cody" doesn't seem to bring up anything, and a search for the topic of "dark grey ui" doesn't bring up anything related to v4 either. Please provide a link to the thread/post you are referring to. Thanks !

@Jason : It seems like the main component of this UI edit is the moi.css file from the original zip download. So if you just get that and place it into the ui folder of the beta it will at the very least change the bright blue interface to grey.

As for icons : it seems like the ones in the zip are the orignal, unedited ones (dark lines) so I suppose that the Dark Theme for V3 inverts them dynamically ... maybe ? Only a few need editing anyways and that's trivial to do.
10 Dec 2019   [#17] In reply to [#16]
Hi,

you please look here:

http://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=9242.1

Unfortunately not updated to the latest v4 beta.

Best regards,

Axel
10 Dec 2019   [#18]
I see, thanks !

Well, tbh the dark and yellow UI from that Cody thread is ... kind of garish, somehow ? Simply using the css from the earlier post is way more elegant imho. And that does work well in V4beta, as confirmed in the screenshot below.

Also, and that's of course a very personal opinion : ungrouping the rollouts into individual buttons makes the UI/UX quite a bit more relaxing as well, as it makes the process of grabbing a given tool way less fidgety - everything is just a scroll flick away. Just a matter of doing some editing inside Sidepane.htm.

It's all remarkably flexible. Fun stuff.

Image Attachments:
2019-12-11 04_16_14-NVIDIA GeForce Overlay.png 

Message 7534.19 was deleted

13 Dec 2019   [#20] In reply to [#18]
Hi,

is that also for the latest beta of v4 with the new dimension tabs?

It's all a matter of personal taste. I was just looking for something dark because it's simply better for (my) eyes instead of starring on something bright. The Cody's one I really liked. The one below is also good. I think the very first from the topic opener was for Mac only?

Cheers,
Axel

Show messages:  1-20  21