MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Let's Model a Car: A Tutorial

Show messages:  1-19  20-39  40-59  60-79

11 May 2015   [#20]
Car Tutorial Part 20 - Badges

Ed Ferguson, CascadiaDesignStudio.com

Badges:

Finally, we'll add a couple of badges. (Some cars don’t need no stinking badges, but ours does :)

The size is not important at this step as we will resize as needed when placing the badges on the car.

Draw a large circle and a smaller one that intersects. Use Array > Circular to create three evenly placed around the large circle. Select all four circles and Boolean > Merge. The result is the curve in yellow.

Draw a profile curve and Revolve it into a round button-shape badge.

Position the curve made above over the revolved badge and Boolean > Merge. Delete the unwanted piece and Fillet the remaining solid.

Make a copy for the front of the car and one for the rear. Resize / flatten as needed and rotate as needed to place the badges tangent to the curvature of the car’s body. Position so the badge slightly intersects the body.

I hope you have found this tutorial useful and will be inspired to make and share your own creations.

Image Attachments:
arenderpart20.png  Capture1.PNG  Capture2.PNG  Capture3.PNG  Capture4.PNG 

11 May 2015   [#21]
Cool!
Will be translated in French in some time if you are not against that ! :)

I must finish first the French site of the cool free renderer for SKetchutp Visualizer http://getvisualizer.com/
http://visualizervf.weebly.com/

Of course you can use it for Moi object as you have SKP or 3DS format export inside MOi! ;
11 May 2015   [#22]
That's an awesome tutorial - Thanks for sharing ED

Martin Spencer-Ford
11 May 2015   [#23]
Great tutorial, thanks for sharing, it's very interesting !
11 May 2015   [#24]
Ed!!!! This tutorial is absolutely magnificent!

It's quite a beautiful result.

And thanks for the tutorial plugs! ;-)

I'm going to go over this again slowly to feast upon the smaller nuances.
11 May 2015   [#25]
No video of some parts ?
11 May 2015   [#26]
Wow -very nice, thanks a lot
11 May 2015   [#27]
very great tutorial !

thanks you Ed
11 May 2015   [#28]
Marvelous tutorial. I could learn much much much from this.

Thank you very much!
11 May 2015   [#29]
Bravo, Ed! Thank you for the time and effort to put this together. I'm sure it will be a huge help to people.
Ron
11 May 2015   [#30] In reply to [#25]
Frenchy -

I have two GIF animations in Part 2 to show moving control points on the SubD cage, as I think this might be a new concept for some people who have not tried the SubD scripts. Everything else is straightforward MoI tools.

In general, I'm not a fan of video tutorials for CAD programs. It's often hard to see what tool is being selected, and if you want to follow along, you have to stop and re-wind constantly. I'd much rather have a detailed written set of instructions and images.

However, if you see an area that needs more detail explanation, I'm happy to expand the topic and add GIF animation if appropriate.

Ed Ferguson
11 May 2015   [#31] In reply to [#30]
take your time :)
I will have no problem to insert them after the end of the translation! :)
11 May 2015   [#32]
Wow Ed! Great stuff. I, too, will be going over this with a fine tooth comb to select the good bits! Thanks much for you kindness and willingness to share to this community. :-)
11 May 2015   [#33]
http://visualizervf.weebly.com/ done ;)
So I can begin your now! :)
http://moiscript.weebly.com/la-voiture-de-ed.html
11 May 2015   [#34]
Thanks very much Ed for producing this great tutorial!

- Michael
12 May 2015   [#35] In reply to [#34]
Thanks Michael and everyone else for your comments.

I did not start out with the intent to finish the car, much less write a tutorial. But the more it progressed, the more I wanted to see it through to completion.

The tutorial is a byproduct of my own note taking. My learning style is to document a new process as I go, and end up with a personal reference manual.

With multiple software apps and programming languages I've had to learn over years, and the fact that at age 63 my brain is full, keeping notes is a necessity :)

Ed Ferguson
12 May 2015   [#36]
That is a great job Ed,

By the way even at 63 your brain is not full we just get harder at remembering.

Taking for the step we do is the way to go.

congrats, it is well done.
12 May 2015   [#37] In reply to [#35]
Hi Ed,

Thanks again for the great tute.

I'm the same way. I may go weeks, even months before opening a program again, and I find that by creating tutorials it helps me not only to learn the program but also to relearn it as I go back and review the them.

I'll be 59 next week so I know where you're coming from with regard to the brain not being quite as sharp as it once was. :-)
12 May 2015   [#38] In reply to [#37]
Banner Ed..... righteous job!
16 May 2015   [#39]
Awesome Ed! just Awesome. What would be more Awesome is if you could PDF it.

Cheers

Show messages:  1-19  20-39  40-59  60-79