MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Failed to Save.

19 Feb 2015   [#1]
I love this Software!!!
Great Software with a GREAT community.
But did have an unpleasant experience...

After a day's work and having Saved many times, all my effort was wasted because the target drive had disconnected and MOI did not complain.
I now realize that I must manually verify each save, but is there some way for the software to do so?
19 Feb 2015   [#2] In reply to [#1]
Hi Mindset,

Sorry to hear you lost some work.

> I now realize that I must manually verify each save,
> but is there some way for the software to do so?

Yes, you should notice an asterisk (*) beside the file name, this indicates that changes have been made in the session and not saved, once saved the asterisk will disappear.

Cheers
19 Feb 2015   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Hi Mindset, sorry you did not get your file saved. Right now there isn't anything in place to guard against that, mostly because I just haven't heard about someone running into that particular problem before now.

I've added a note on my todo list for MoI v4 to pop up an error message if the save was unsuccessful. In the meantime if you have an external drive that has a loose wire and gets easily disconnected or something like that, you may want to copy your files onto the computer's built in disk and work on your file from there and copy it back again at the end, rather than opening it directly from the external drive.

Sorry for the difficulty, - Michael
19 Feb 2015   [#4] In reply to [#2]
Hi Danny, under normal circumstances just checking the asterisk like you say should work. But in the presence of a total disk failure as happened here I think the asterisk will disappear even though the file was not actually saved. That's certainly something that I should fix for v4.

So for v4 on disk access failure for a save, I'll put up some error dialog and also not let the asterisk get cleared either.

- Michael
19 Feb 2015   [#5]
Thank you all,

Is there some way to work on files while they are stored on Google Drive?
19 Feb 2015   [#6] In reply to [#5]
Hi Mindset,

> Is there some way to work on files while they are stored on Google Drive?

I think so - doesn't Google drive work by monitoring files you store in a particular folder on your regular drive and then when those change it copies the updated files to Google's server?

If that's the way it works (I don't use it myself so I'm not really familiar with it) then just work on the files in your local folder as you would any other file.

- Michael
19 Feb 2015   [#7]
Hello Michael Gibson,

You mentioned earlier in this thread about making a change in Version 4 to address this issue.
Well, even though I don't know what other features Version 4 may introduce, be assured that I will feel as blessed to buy your next version as do I feel about having purchased this version and the prior.

Thank you Mike, for your good work.
21 Feb 2015   [#8]
Never scripted on the form before... but...
Might something like this work?

myActiveXObject = new ActiveXObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject");
try {
file = myActiveXObject.GetFile(doc);
}
catch(err) {
moi.ui.alert(err.message);
}

var before = file.DateLastModified;
moi.geometryDatabase.save();
if (before == file.DateLastModified)
{
var msg = 'Failed to Save:\n\t' + doc
moi.ui.alert(msg);
}

I don't really know how to handle an error and get out cleanly.... just hope maybe this is a worthy attempt.
21 Feb 2015   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi Mindset - something like that could work but unfortunately there tends to be security problems with using Scripting.FileSystemObject on newer Windows versions, and it's not present at all on the Mac.

I don't think it's easily solved by scripting alone, for v4 I will be adding support for catching writing failures directly into the file writing code.

- Michael
21 Feb 2015   [#10] In reply to [#9]
Thank you Sir.
7 Dec 2017   [#11] In reply to [#3]
Hello Michael,

I am wondering if the "pop up an error message" feature for an unsuccessful model-file Save made it into V4?

BTW...
I love your software.
It is the best intangible product since the Beatles.
-- MindSet
7 Dec 2017   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Hi Mindset,

try to open an instance of Moi and copy the file to the instance and save the scene.
Hope it works!
7 Dec 2017   [#13] In reply to [#11]
Hi Mindset,

> I am wondering if the "pop up an error message" feature for an unsuccessful
> model-file Save made it into V4?

Not quite yet but it shouldn't be much longer before I'll be able to get to it.

- Michael