MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V4 Wish List

Show messages:  1-14  …  475-494  495-514  515-534  535-554  555-574

16 Jul 2020   [#535]
Hi,

I was thinking that it would be handy to have a system of naming objects which allowed "grouping" together related objects.

On my current printer project I have a number of assemblies that consist of multiple parts. When assigning a name to a part I always include the name of the assembly along with the name of the part.

For example:

Assembly 1 Part 1
Assembly 1 Part 2
Assembly 1 Part 3

Assembly 2 Part 1
Assembly 2 Part 2
Assembly 2 Part 3

While this keeps them together in the browser it doesn't establish any sort of real relationship.

What if we could use names with a specified character in them like "Assembly 1.Part 1" where the specified character (a period in this example) would actually be used establish a relationship allowing them to be displayed them in the browser in a hierarchical manner.

Assembly 1
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

or perhaps

Assembly 1
Assembly 1 Part 1
Assembly 2 Part 1
Assembly 3 Part 1

Selecting the assembly name could then select all the parts in the assembly. Of course selecting of individual parts would work as it does now.

The character to use could be specified in the settings - my choice would be a period. If no character was selected then the new naming feature could be disabled if desired.

By using a specific character the current approach would work as it does now and no new fields would be needed.

Such a system would be very useful in my work.

Thanks.

Frederick
16 Jul 2020   [#536] In reply to [#534]
Hi Juraj,

Press the 'Undo' button and all will reappear as selected.

Wayne
16 Jul 2020   [#537] In reply to [#534]
Hi Juraj,

re:
> It happened to me many times that I wanted to trim complex shape and had to select like 50 small lines
> but one miss-click would deselect everything making user start from the beginning.

You don't have to start from the beginning if you make a selection mistake like that, you can just use undo which will restore the selection to whatever it was before the last selection action.

This "selection undo" is transient, it is only stored as the most recent action in the undo stack.

Also if you want to do deselect all, there is already a button for that on the side pane under Select > "Deselect all". If you would like to make a shortcut key for it, put in this for the command part of the shortcut key:

script: moi.geometryDatabase.deselectAll();

- Michael
17 Jul 2020   [#538] In reply to [#537]
I feel so embarrassed I didn't try undo for selection.
Great to know.
Thanks Michael
17 Sep 2020   [#539] In reply to [#538]
How about a "tag" naming system for objects.
Maybe a lot quicker to implement than thinking out
all the permeations of grouping, sub groups etc.

Hierarchy free if kept flat. Flexible. Could maybe rely on good ol
Windows or Mac file system; meta tags.
17 Sep 2020   [#540] In reply to [#539]
Hi Stefano, re: tag naming system - the current system is pretty similar to that already, you can assign a name to an object or multiple objects, and then that name will show up in the "Objects" section of the scene browse allowing you to hide/show/lock/unlock/select that object set by the name.

The main request to add to this is hierarchy so I think it will need that whole group and sub-group type of thing.

re:
> Could maybe rely on good ol Windows or Mac file system

I don't think that's feasible since it is many entities within a file that have these properties, not just a whole file. Unless you wanted to require each separate object to reside in its own file but you would end up with a massive quantity of files that way.

- Michael
18 Sep 2020   [#541] In reply to [#540]
Hi Michael, Understand what you are saying but I see an object name as one data type or field and a tag is another.
I see a tag as a flagging tool. Doesnt need hierarchy but can be set up that way if required with multiple "tags"

Example: users could select 100objects, add tag "assembly item 001" or "assembly item"+ "job001"later these tags could be used to find and put items into a drawing. The idea likely came when I was exploring the customui and I thought those library objects or menu could soon get too busy, personally I dont like using "explorer". Likewise I might consider creating comprehensive parts that should be able to be pulled into a moi design fast and easy - these items are likely 'reusable' or standard.
18 Sep 2020   [#542] In reply to [#541]
Hi Stefano, I see - yes something like that could be useful for an object library. But that's kind of a different thing than object management for objects currently inside the model though.

- Michael
18 Sep 2020   [#543] In reply to [#542]
I agree! One is organising what's already there.
The other is maybe organising those assetts/objects for future use;
on other drawings.
20 Sep 2020   [#544]
Hi, Michael!

A small thing, really, and maybe someone else already requested.

I have been known to accidentally hit Remove instead of Hide when managing background images. Would it be possible to move these buttons away from each other? And/or add a warning popup any time Remove is selected?
20 Sep 2020   [#545] In reply to [#544]
Hi Patrick, if you accidentally hit Remove you can use Undo while you are still in the View > Image command to restore it.

- Michael
21 Sep 2020   [#546] In reply to [#545]
:o

Thanks, Michael. :)
3 Oct 2020   [#547]
Hi Michael, I really like using your software.

Now, could it be possible to had another file format to your great mix? What I have in mind is the X3D file format which seems to be popular in 3D printing exchanges in the medical field and also for prosthetics. It is totally open source. It would permit somehow the exchange/integration of models created in openJSCAD (in .X3D) to MOI.

You can explore it's implementation here: https://www.web3d.org/x3d/what-x3d

It is just a wish, it would be cool...

Keep up the good work, can't wait for the finished V4 version!!!

Have a nice day,
3 Oct 2020   [#548] In reply to [#547]
Hi jo, I think that OpenJSCAD only generates triangle mesh output. That's where the model data is stored as a large number of little triangle facets. That type of data is not suitable for importing into MoI, MoI is designed to work with smooth NURBS surface model data for modeling.

So I don't think that is feasible to make a data flow from OpenJSCAD into MoI, they are designed to work with different types of 3D model geometry.

- Michael
4 Oct 2020   [#549] In reply to [#548]
+1 Thumbnail previews
http://moi3d.com/forum/lmessages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=9391.1

I like idea of thumbnails where user can optionally set viewport to create the thumbnail.
Not what I'd class as essential but will help usability a lot. Likely even more valid when we get to grouping
and pullling in reference, tagged or hierarchical organised objects in future versions.
7 Oct 2020   [#550]
I've been using MOI for some time now. It's never let me down. The only thing I'd LOVE to see is a Linux install. :)

EDIT: I did a quick search on the forums and see that some are already using Wine. I gave it a shot! So far, so good. :D
12 Oct 2020   [#551]

Hi All,

I know that my comments are likely quite late but being a very frequent and satisfied user of Moi3D I would like to chime in with just a few wishes that would make my Moi3D user experience just a tad better:

* In the drawing I make I often have quite a lot of different objects and to me it would be feasible if it was possible to group them in "folders" sort of like what happens in windows explorer (Win7). This way a given structure could be "packed" in one folder and "clicked open" when the objects of that structure was worked on.

* Also, also considering the many objects, I sometimes find that it would be helpful if it was possible to describe what a certain object is, i.e. what it does, why it is designed as it is, and why it is placed where it is (etc.). I was thinking that it could be a note that could be attached to the object (after it was named) and maybe displayed just below the object name at the (default) right top of the UI.

* And then a wish I have made before which is to see the individual files as a thumbnail when browsing windows explorer. IMHO it would make it easier to browse drawings with many iterations so that the individual changes between each file was clearer e.g. when returning to the files after some time.

Smaller wishes to a software that I am really satisfied and pleased with ;-)

Cheers,

Jesper

P.S.: Please disregard if someone else has already mentioned this ...

12 Oct 2020   [#552] In reply to [#551]
Hi Jesper, thanks for the feedback! Your #1 and #3 are definitely on my radar but it will need to be for a future version not v4 which is very nearly wrapped up.

- Michael
12 Oct 2020   [#553] In reply to [#552]
Hi Michael,

Hope life is well in these different times ;-)

... & also pleased to hear that you will consider my suggestions in due time ...

I am BTW looking forward to trying the V4 when time allows.

Cheers,

Jesper
19 Oct 2020   [#554]
Hi, Michael.
I think the dimensions tab should be open by default since it is used more often. Or make a lock for tabs that are open by default.
Or add the necessary parameters in the ini file. Also, in the settings of the text insertion tool, I need a parameter lock, for example,
I mostly use curves and I have to configure it again every time. Some settings I can make, but due to reinstalls, these settings are forgotten and lost.
I'm interested in your opinion.

Show messages:  1-14  …  475-494  495-514  515-534  535-554  555-574