MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V4 Wish List

Show messages:  1-12  13-32  33-52  53-72  73-92  93-112  113-132  …  573-574

20 Jul 2016   [#53] In reply to [#52]
Might be a good idea to have a poll for everyone to be able to vote on their favorite features from the "V4 Wish List(s)".
So that Michael can get a better overview.

Also my own wish for the next version is improved selections. MODO is very good at selections, perhaps draw some inspiration from there.
20 Jul 2016   [#54] In reply to [#53]
Hi blindfoldjump, a poll doesn't really work all that well for me, it's probably better just to post say your top 5 wishes here, and it can help if you give some explanation too, like for your case about selection are there any details or more specific things that you could describe?

Thanks, - Michael
21 Jul 2016   [#55] In reply to [#54]
Hi Michael,

As said by blindfoldjump in its previous post (http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6925.53),
regarding some improvements in the selection area, I would greatly welcome if Moi would give us some sort of "LASSO" selection tool.
It would by very handy in many scenarios.

Have a nice day and I wish you every success in your work!

Ciao.

- Marco (mkdm).
21 Jul 2016   [#56]
Michael - Regarding selections:
To be able to grow/shrink a selection along an edge loop, edge by edge would be great.
Double click an edge to select the whole loop is another example.
Also grow a selected face in all directions outwards would be very handy as well, and shrink it back.
Having an edgeloop selected - jump to, or add the next parallell loop.
21 Jul 2016   [#57] In reply to [#56]
Hi blindfoldjump, the thing is those tools in Modo are related to manipulating 3D point cages for organic sculpting. CAD solids cannot be manipulated in the same way as edge loops in polygon modeling, so there's kind of a mismatch between Modo and MoI in that sense.

For growing and shrinking a face selection to its neighbors, you can do that currently by a script, see here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6988.4

There is also a select loop script which you can find here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3335.5

I do want to add some more ways to select a chain of edges in the future too, but since the overall CAD workflow does not share the same major focus on manipulating edge loops like sub-d modeling has it might not be something that gets elevated to double click though.

- Michael
21 Jul 2016   [#58] In reply to [#56]
Hi blindfoldjump, also another reason why I like to have people explain their requests instead of just pick something from a poll, is that often it is already possible to do something that they request like grow/shrink face selection in this particular case.

- Michael
21 Jul 2016   [#59]
For me...

- A stronger fillet option.
- The ability to "lock" parts within a design together.
- More solid modeling tools.
21 Jul 2016   [#60] In reply to [#58]
Hey Michael
Thank you for taking the time to answer and being patient - sorry about me not educating myself on the topic properly before suggesting things. In the back of my head I kinda suspected you already been through this.

"For growing and shrinking a face selection to its neighbors, you can do that currently by a script, see here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6988.4"

Didn't know about this one, thanks!

"Hi blindfoldjump, also another reason why I like to have people explain their requests instead of just pick something from a poll, is that often it is already possible to do something that they request like grow/shrink face selection in this particular case."

Gotcha :)
21 Jul 2016   [#61] In reply to [#60]
Hi blindfoldjump,

re:
> sorry about me not educating myself on the topic properly before suggesting things.

No worries at all - right now with there being no central script repository it's just normal that you wouldn't necessarily be able to find one particular thing like that and you'd have to ask to discover it. In the future when I'm able to make a script repository that's browsable from within MoI that will help with discovering such things.

- Michael
21 Jul 2016   [#62]
My only request is that it still be able to run on Linux. Either natively or with Wine is fine with me. :)
22 Jul 2016   [#63] In reply to [#61]
Looking forward to that script repository, sounds great!
27 Jul 2016   [#64] In reply to [#63]
1/ Unfold / Flatten tool ( Unfold curved surface capabalities )
2/ Export dimension tool
27 Jul 2016   [#65] In reply to [#64]
Hi Dzeko, re: #1 unfolding, unfortunately unrolling surfaces is a quite complex area of work because it's not mathematically possible to unroll just any curved surface to a flat sheet without stretching things, that's only physically possible with a special category of curved surfaces called "developable surfaces".

Surfaces in MoI are not restricted to only be constructed as developable surfaces, so it would be kind of weird to have an unfold surface tool which didn't work on most things that you constructed in MoI, there would probably need to be a whole set of special developable surface construction and analysis tools in order for that to really make sense, but that makes this a quite complex intertwined set of specialized features which is unlikely to happen in MoI anytime soon.

Rhino does have some of those tools though, if you need surface unrolling now you can use Rhino in combination with MoI to do it.

- Michael
27 Jul 2016   [#66] In reply to [#65]
thank you for explanation M.G

i talk more about a very simple flatten surface.
27 Jul 2016   [#67]
You have FormZ Free for Unfold! ;)
Minute 24.10

27 Jul 2016   [#68] In reply to [#66]
Hi Dzeko,

> i talk more about a very simple flatten surface.

What is the end goal of your simple flattening - something like making paper cutouts? Rolling sheet metal to make metal panels? Or something different?

- Michael

Message 6925.69 was deleted

27 Jul 2016   [#70] In reply to [#68]
yes like the unfold from form-z

for now i export in .obj and realize this task in the last mentioned

and make me nervous that i have to go out of Moi for this task...

( i create some metalic profil,( surface works good no need solid ) and flat this, for show is flat developement ( for cutting in reel ).
27 Jul 2016   [#71] In reply to [#70]
Hi Dzeko, so in your post you wrote "( Unfold curved surface capabalities )" where I took special notice that you used the word "curved".

But your example (deleted now?) has only all flat surfaces and not any curved ones...

Are you looking for something that would unfold only objects made up of all planar surfaces? Something like that could probably be done as a plug-in at some point in time, maybe not quite yet but maybe when a few more things are added to the script interface layer it could be possible.

- Michael
13 Sep 2016   [#72]
Hello Michael Gibson,

I have a V4 Wish:

Would it be possible to export a curve as a motion path via FXB (or elsewise)?
If so, might it be reasonable to do so from a script even while we await V4?

Of course, I do not know what would be involved in such a request... but it would be an EXTREMELY useful capability.

Again, thank you for all the good work that you do.
I am a real fan.

-- Mindset

Show messages:  1-12  13-32  33-52  53-72  73-92  93-112  113-132  …  573-574