MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V4 Wish List

Show messages:  1-13  …  414-433  434-453  454-473  474-493  494-513  514-533  534-553  …  574

23 Sep 2018   [#474] In reply to [#18]
Hi Michael ...
I'm still hoping for dimensions in V4
cheers,
eric
23 Sep 2018   [#475] In reply to [#474]
Hi eric, it's still on my list. They will likely be fairly rudimentary to begin with though.

- Michael
23 Sep 2018   [#476] In reply to [#475]
Hi Michael ...
Glad its still on the list. Switching back and forth to Rhino is kind of painful.
I'm using MoI less and less ... I'd much rather it was more.
cheers,
eric
5 Oct 2018   [#477]
Hi Michael,

It would be desirable IMHO to have a means for defining the minimal curve on a surface (similar to rhino's geodesic spline). Also known as Plank Lines, (referencing timber boat hull construction) it is the shortest path between 2 points on a surface which if used to sweep a band over base surface results in a strip that is tangential to that surface over its full length that could be unrolled to a straight strip. This could simply be achieve with UnwrapCurve script of the original rail curve, since long edges are straight & parallel.

Below is an image of traditional hat fabricated from bamboo strips analogous to this technique.

No doubt the maths is quite complex, and perhaps not justifiable ATM.
(https://www.maplesoft.com/applications/view.aspx?sid=34940&view=html)
However if this is something that you have been considering, it could be accommodated in the tool pallet as an option under Contract/Curve/Project as a projection mode menu option "Min. Path". Though a stand alone script would suffice.

I combed through the forum to see if this had been previously discussed and can find no earlier reference. My apologies if you have already answered similar request.

Have a great weekend
James

Image Attachments:
geodesicCrv.jpg  geodesicHat.jpg  geodesicshell.jpg 

5 Oct 2018   [#478] In reply to [#477]
Hi James, unfortunately the geometry library that MoI currently uses does not have any functionality in it for generating that kind of curve. So it's not a matter of just hooking something up, it would require a lot of effort to make that currently.

- Michael

Message 6925.479 was deleted

Message 6925.480 was deleted

10 Oct 2018   [#481]
If someone is wondering about the deleted messages, they seem to be spam "warm up" messages where someone is reposting a previous message that has been translated from English to some other language and back to English again. I'm not entirely sure why someone would do that, I think it's something like some forums don't let you post links until you've posted some regular messages first.

- Michael
10 Oct 2018   [#482] In reply to [#481]
OK. Got it. Thanks.

I also thing that it was a spam.

Kill it!

:)
4 Nov 2018   [#483]
Hi. I have a small wish- :)

It would be great to have a 'Shift+Left Click' option checkbox available somewhere in the Options as an alternative selection mode. With this option checked, the user would need to hold down the shift key in order to add to the current selection. Left clicking without shift would select but clear the previous selection.

I've gotten into trouble quite a few times now when I've tried to do something and later discovered I had more objects selected than I realised (I'm used to left-clicking something and clearing whatever was previously selected).

Hopefully this wouldn't be too much trouble, and would be a very welcome feature.

Really enjoying MoI, btw. And the ability to bring in poly objects in the V4 beta has been extremely helpful.

Thanks very much!
4 Nov 2018   [#484]
Just found this thread.
Would appreciate in V4:
- Fillets and chamfers improved. So in case they should overlap they don't 'crash'.
- File type import/export expansion. Mostly OBJ and STL.
- custom commands and scripts. Could be made so user can place own buttons for each inline script, or command.
- ability to create lithophanes. Something like hightmap script from Max.
- set object partialy visible (opaque)

Surely it's up to developers to decide which ones are requested most and what kind of programming is needed for implementation.
I'm patient :)
9 Nov 2018   [#485]
I think the main thing I would like to see is a smarter selection system in general, pattern select, edge loop select, etc. There is an edge loop selection script I found but it's not very smart and something more like how Modo or Blender works would be quite nice.

Another feature would be a modifier stack system like in Blender or 3DsMax. Ideally a node based system. This is probably a v5 feature request though but having a more organized way to do non-destructive operations would be great.

Other than that I really enjoy using Moi, I can't think of a nurbs tool I would want to add to it but I'm still getting used to it.

- actually one thing I can think of is a custom pie menu like in Maya or Blender so I can switch between some tools on my tablet a bit quicker.
16 Nov 2018   [#486]
Hi Michael,

Would it be possible to include in V4 a Styles/sub-directory for a spectral range of colours for colorisation by node editor?

As Karsten validly states in reference to setStyle node that: "a RGB input would create a lot of styles or you have to create and delete again and again".
see http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=7777.1272

I don't think however, that this deletion and creation, presents a problem (in terms of extraneous complexity to the user experience) if these new temporary styles were in a separate list (generally hidden from user).*

Please let me know your thoughts

Have a great weekend
James

*Indeed complexity could be further reduced with inclusion of a "levels" input on setStyles node to determine the number of steps in spectral range (so in some cases it may only be a handful of colours).

Image Attachments:
colorise.gif 

16 Nov 2018   [#487] In reply to [#486]
Hi James, in the future I do want to add in folders that you could use to organize styles, so you could collapse the folder and have a chunk of them stay out of the way. Would that be the kind of thing that would help? But sorry I'm not expecting to have that done for V4 though.

- Michael
16 Nov 2018   [#488] In reply to [#487]
Hi Michael,

>> in the future I do want to add in folders that you could use to organize styles, so you could collapse the folder and have a chunk of them stay out of the way. Would that be the kind of thing that would help? <<

Yes that's exactly what I'm thinking: a dedicated folder (perhaps created on the fly by node editor) where generated styles could be written & overwritten without affecting the default styles used to differentiate model parts.

Thanks for getting back to me
James
27 May 2019   [#489]
My number 1 wishlist item for Moi is SVG export :) I use it mainly for 2d stuff at the moment, and it's great for that - but exporting is a real pain!
27 May 2019   [#490] In reply to [#489]
Hi NightCabbage, I want to work on SVG in the future but it will probably just write the same information that is currently written to PDF format already.

What are you using that would benefit from SVG instead of using PDF ?

- Michael
29 May 2019   [#491] In reply to [#490]
Well, I tried using the PDF export, and then importing it into Inkscape (which for the record, I hate lol)... and the results are quite painful.

It breaks up all of the shapes into separate lines - a square would be 4, and with rounded corners it'd be 8... plus then the solids/fills are a giant sheet in the background, as opposed to the actual shapes...

It's a mess LOL

I LOVE Moi3d. It's always been my go-to program for any 2d or 3d design. But the 2d exports are quite painful :(
29 May 2019   [#492] In reply to [#491]
Hi NightCabbage, it's normal for the shaded filled area to be a giant sheet in the background - the shaded areas are done as a background bitmap those parts are not vector objects.

I tested the PDF export with Affinity Designer and Adobe Illustrator and in both cases a square and a rounded corner square do not come in as individual pieces, they are one curve each. So that seems to be a problem with Inkscape's PDF importer.

SVG output would contain just the same stuff as the PDF export so I'm not sure if it would improve anything for you. I guess maybe it could avoid the curves coming in as individual segments problem if that is a flaw only in their PDF importer.

Maybe if you file a bug report with Inkscape they could improve the PDF importer to behave as other drawing programs do instead of separating everything into individual pieces.

- Michael
30 May 2019   [#493] In reply to [#492]
Hi Nightcabbage,

I tested importing a rounded square (exported from MoI as pdf, Top View) into Inkscape 0.92.2 and it does come in as one curve.
What version of Inkscape are you using ?

Michel

Show messages:  1-13  …  414-433  434-453  454-473  474-493  494-513  514-533  534-553  …  574