MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V4 Wish List

Show messages:  1-9  …  370-389  390-409  410-429  430-449  450-469  470-489  490-509  …  570-574

27 May 2018   [#430]
@Michael Gibson I hate to say it but I really don't like the idea of new version's preferences being saved undr Windows user profile folder alongside Obj Library addon files. I have just lost a handfull of data thanks to these new settings. When you have such a brilliant software with everything basically running from one folder by default why to go into another direction to support Windows way of thinking as Microsoft does everything wrong anyhow.

Appreciate it!
27 May 2018   [#431] In reply to [#430]
Hi agonyii, your comments are kind of confusing because there hasn't been any changes in the new version for where the moi.ini file is located by default, it's the same behavior as in all previous versions.

By default Windows (since Vista) will prevent programs from modifying files in the Program Files directory, so it won't work to store a preferences file there for most people. That's why the default location for moi.ini is in your user data folder instead of alongside MoI.exe .

You can change this if you want though, if you move the moi.ini file so that it is in the same folder as MoI.exe, MoI will find it and use that one. If it's inside the Program Files folder though it won't be able to save any changes unless you have run MoI with elevated privileges or if you have turned UAC off.

It's also possible to put moi.ini in whatever folder you want and then tell MoI where it is by passing in the path as a command line parameter to MoI.exe , make sure to put " " quote characters around the path if it has any spaces in it.

- Michael
27 May 2018   [#432] In reply to [#431]
I get it now! Please understand my frustration, apparently I did not know enough about it.

I have a question in terms of 'Obj library', would that 3d party addon still reside in the different folder even if my moi.ini is inside apps main folder? If that's not the case it would be awesome if 3d party addons folder would somehow be relevant to the placement of moi.ini file. Just trying to make my moi portable installation bulletproof from now on so nothing gets lost if I backup this one folder.

Really appreciate your help in any case!
27 May 2018   [#433] In reply to [#432]
Hi agonyii,

> I have a question in terms of 'Obj library', would that 3d party addon still reside
> in the different folder even if my moi.ini is inside apps main folder?

There is no automatic connection between where your moi.ini file is located and how the Obj library addon works. If I remember right the newest version of Max's CustomUI is designed to go in the app data folder so it won't need to be reinstalled on every new beta release. But older versions went into the main app program files folder so you might try using an older version. It's probably possible to edit it so it goes wherever you want.

But it's likely that in the future more and more stuff will go into the appdata folder like script downloads and stuff like that, both to support the default Windows configuration with UAC enabled where Program Files is read only and also so that added resources are stored in a central location so that it isn't necessary to copy things around for every new release.

I guess I should make it so you can customize the appdata folder location though. Then you could set that so everything is under one single folder.

- Michael
28 May 2018   [#434] In reply to [#433]
> I guess I should make it so you can customize the appdata folder location though. Then you could set that so everything is under one single folder.

That sounds awesome! I think that would be the best solution so far. Thanks for filtering that out!

Please allow me to add one more comment on the subject:

Alongside OBJ library, I also have customized UI. I prefer dark theme, it's easy on my eyes so while having something neutral I can fully concentrate just on design. I just hate the idea, I had to overwrite quite a lot of original MOI app files to have it this way. Would be possible, if we set a custom folder for all our preferences, scripts and adddons that this folder is also monitored from Moi for it's own app's modified files, icons? If Moi sees any of its own files there then these files would get loaded first - instead of ones from the apps folder. In that case way we would be able to keep the original files intact and still able to keep all the addons we use.
Right now with every new Moi update we have to reinstall everything and I all design colleges I know are utilizing Moi in a such way.

Thank you in any case!

Image Attachments:
MoI_2018-05-28_15-29-55.jpg 

29 May 2018   [#435] In reply to [#434]
Hi agonyii,

> If Moi sees any of its own files there then these files would get loaded first - instead of ones
> from the apps folder. In that case way we would be able to keep the original files intact and
> still able to keep all the addons we use.

I have some ideas along these lines for theme packages where a theme could override the default resources but there are some tricky areas for stuff other than images where stuff should be combined together for when new things are added to moi.css for example that the theme doens't implement.

It's something that I want to work on in the future but it probably won't happen in the V4 time frame though.

- Michael
7 Jun 2018   [#436] In reply to [#434]
Hi agonyii,

> > I guess I should make it so you can customize the appdata folder location though. Then you could set that so everything is under one single folder.
>
> That sounds awesome! I think that would be the best solution so far. Thanks for filtering that out!

I wasn't able to get to this for this very next beta coming out soon but it's still on my list.

- Michael
16 Jun 2018   [#437]
Hi Michael,

Just a thought with working with bigger assemblies and more parts with upcoming V4 release would it be possible to somehow have a deep lock mode for layers or objects as when you hide and unhide it reveals all layers and would be good to keep reference layers or other transitional items in a buried state within the file.

regards
Alex.
16 Jun 2018   [#438] In reply to [#437]
Hi Alex, I think it would be difficult to express an additional hide state in the UI without it getting complicated.

You can avoid unhiding everythying currently if you use the scene browser to do your unhiding instead of the Edit > Hide command.

Also if you use Ctrl+click on Edit > Hide that will do a "show subset" operation where you can show just some of the hidden objects instead of all of them.

Maybe if you want something totally out of your way for an extended time you could export it out to a separate file and then delete it from your current one.

- Michael
18 Jun 2018   [#439]
Hello Michael!

How are you ? I hope fine :)

Inspired by the last post of James, I want to ask you something related to "2d workflows".

I don't know what you're currently working on, but I want to remind you a very important area that need to be improved: tools for curves.

Especially:

1) A new and improved "rebuild" command
2) New API methods that can give us at least the access to the inner structure of the curves (knot points, control points)
3) An improved "offset" command
4) The chance to easily pick one or more control points of a curve and easily change their "type": from "sharp" to "not sharp"

...other things that now I can't remember :)

As you can see I didn't specify details for the points from 1 to 3 but I know that you know what I'm talking about ;)

Thanks a lot and have a nice day!
18 Jun 2018   [#440] In reply to [#439]
Hi Marco, #1 and #3 are pretty difficult areas to implement well, I'd need more information about how you'd expect an improved version of those to behave.

#4 is something I've been meaning to do for some time, I'll see if I could address that in v4.

- Michael
18 Jun 2018   [#441] In reply to [#440]
Hi Michael.

@You : "...Hi Marco, #1 and #3 are pretty difficult areas to implement well, I'd need more information about how you'd expect an improved version of those to behave..."

Hmmm...pretty difficult now to remember all the things said during last two years about these things...
I can assure you that many times we have talked about them...they are scattered over many forum threads...

@You : "...#4 is something I've been meaning to do for some time, I'll see if I could address that in v4..."

Ok. Got it.
I hope not to be "pushy" but...what are the new things you're working on for the next beta?

Thanks a lot and have a nice day.

Marco (mkdm)
18 Jun 2018   [#442] In reply to [#441]
Hi Marco,

> Hmmm...pretty difficult now to remember all the things said during last two years
> about these things...
> I can assure you that many times we have talked about them...they are scattered over
> many forum threads...

Ok, but probably in those same scattered threads I've also previously explained why they work as they currently do. An offset curve of a NURBS curve cannot be represented exactly in NURBS form itself except in special cases. So the offset mechanism has to go through a fitting/refinement process and will not have the same control point structure as the original curve.

> I hope not to be "pushy" but...what are the new things you're working on for the next beta?

At the moment I've been working on some bugs that have been reported through e-mail and doing some experiments.

- Michael
18 Jun 2018   [#443] In reply to [#442]
Hi Michael.
Thanks for replying me.

@You "...At the moment I've been working on some bugs that have been reported through e-mail and doing some experiments..."

Good to know :)

And regarding the previous point (from 1 to 3)...ok I remember the discoussions about "offset" and, ok. No problem, all is clear.

But I also remember that I talked to you some times in the recent past, about the improvement of the "rebuild" command, along with the opportunity to improve also the "merge" command, that actually works only on "edges" and not on "curves".

This second behavior could be a great improvement for "2D workflow" related stuff.

What do you say about that?

I stay tuned :)
18 Jun 2018   [#444] In reply to [#443]
Hi Marco, you're probably remembering that I mentioned that at some point I'd like to figure out how to combine Join and Merge together into a single Join command possibly with the option to do rebuilding at the same time as well.

I'm not sure when that will happen though, there is a lot of workflow and UI design that will go into that.

- Michael
18 Jun 2018   [#445] In reply to [#444]
Your rock Michael!

That's exactly what I wanted to remind you :)

This is a very important improvement for 2d stuff.
I hope that you want to rate It pretty high in your todo list.

Ciao!
18 Jun 2018   [#446] In reply to [#445]
Hi Marco, it's not really something that can go high on the todo list because it probably needs a new UI method for it that has to evolve a bit first.

- Michael
19 Jun 2018   [#447] In reply to [#446]
Hello Michael.

@You : "...it's not really something that can go high on the todo list because it probably needs a new UI method for it that has to evolve a bit first..."

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not lucky with my requests.... :)

Have a nice day.
19 Jun 2018   [#448] In reply to [#447]
Hi Marco, if you happen to have a more detailed idea for how it would work like what the UI and workflow would specifically be like that could certainly increase the priority!

Those things can often be the most difficult though.

- Michael
19 Jun 2018   [#449] In reply to [#448]
Hi Michael...I have some idea but actually no time to write to explain...

But I suppose that, at least regarding the unification of Merge/Join/Rebuild, you should have some use-case scenario in your mind.

Anyway...I stay tuned.

Have a nice day and best wishes for all.

Marco (mkdm)

Show messages:  1-9  …  370-389  390-409  410-429  430-449  450-469  470-489  490-509  …  570-574