MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V4 Wish List

Show messages:  1-5  …  346-365  366-385  386-405  406-425  426-445  446-465  466-485  …  566-574

22 Feb 2018   [#406] In reply to [#400]
when u say reverse engineering - the only thought is hacking that software ! nope ! i wanted a object view inside moi !
obj mesh -> moi
head -> headphones, microphone, gas masc, helm , gear, etc etc - to match shape
table -> ornaments !
old 60'th phone -> ornaments ! details
scanned mesh -> moi
roentgen, room, nature -> objects construct objects inside
22 Feb 2018   [#407] In reply to [#405]
Cemortan_Tudor-
Thanks, cPlane is usually a trial and error process- my wish is that a selected planar surface could become the cPlane.
Tracing a bitmap in Illustrator is a lot of work with files that have thousands of curves- editing a Make2D image is the best solution I've found, but still a very long process.
Rick
22 Feb 2018   [#408]
Hello,

I use MoI for technical illustration as well. You might want to check out the tools from Astute Graphics to extend paths, clean up vectors etc.. That's not to say Moi wouldn't benefit from curve and surface extension features, just a suggestion on what you might use to get by in the meantime.

Message 6925.409 was deleted

22 Feb 2018   [#410] In reply to [#407]
"my wish is that a selected planar surface could become the cPlane"
cPlane is scriptable
3 Apr 2018   [#411]
Hello Michael!

How are you ? I hope fine :)

I imagine that you're working hard for the next V4 beta builds, and actually I only would like to know what is the situation about the three fundamental "bricks" we talked about when V4 was announced :

1) 64Bit and Mac OS native : DONE

2) Instancing : missing

3) Grouping : missing

If I remember correctly these were the "foundation" for V4.

Thanks a lot and have a nice day.
3 Apr 2018   [#412] In reply to [#411]
Hi Marco, sorry no progress yet on #2 and #3, and actually some priorities are shifting a bit, I'm probably going to work on dimensioning as a higher priority than those.

I think I am getting quite close to having V4 fully production ready without any regressions from V3, that's the fundamental step that I have wanted to get really nailed down first before digging in to large new feature areas.

- Michael
3 Apr 2018   [#413] In reply to [#412]
Hi Michael.

@You : "...I'm probably going to work on dimensioning as a higher priority than those."
Ok. I understand.
But I only hope that you can soon put your hands on "Instancing" and "Grouping" because are two very important and long awaited features.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the reply and have a nice day ;)
3 Apr 2018   [#414] In reply to [#253]
"I don't see any information there about how instances are stored in a LWO file which is what I would need."

I believe LW instancing is in the scene file and not in the object itself. Instances are represented through nulls that are associated with the object clones, I believe.
3 Apr 2018   [#415] In reply to [#414]
Hi Paul, unfortunately the LightWave scene file format does not seem to be documented as fully as the object format.

http://static.lightwave3d.com/sdk/2018/html/filefmts.html

I wasn't able to find any mention of clones or instancing in there.

- Michael
4 Apr 2018   [#416] In reply to [#415]
Michael,

You're right. Newtek isn't great about stuff like that.

You're probably aware that Lightwave 3D is essentially two distinct programs - modeller and layout.

In Modeller you create objects and in layout you create scenes using those objects.

The instances in LW aren't cloning the point data for objects, they are taking an object as a pattern and laying out nulls in the scene that are replaced during render time with the point and surface data associated with the template object. It's essentially collapsing the scene file size and reducing the render overhead by only instantiating objects where the instance is part of the visible scene.

As a lapsed LWer (my version of LW pre-dates instancing) I wouldn't expect MOI3D to be building instances in the LW sense. Instances don't exist in the object sense, only essentially as markers in a scene for object replication at render time.

[edit: Also I'm not even sure that you can merge LW scenes, so even a template scene with the correct LW style instances may be of little use in practical terms. ]

Paul
10 Apr 2018   [#417]
Hi, Michael.
I have such question, it is possible to write the script that it was possible to change places the beginning and the end at open curves, such as: lines, arcs, NURBS?
Vladimir.
10 Apr 2018   [#418] In reply to [#417]
Hi Vladimir, yes you can use the Flip command in MoI to do that:
http://moi3d.com/3.0/docs/moi_command_reference10.htm#flip

- Michael
10 Apr 2018   [#419] In reply to [#418]
Thanks, Michael. That's very good. There is another MoI issue that incorrectly exports the file to the DXF format of the arc and circle.
For comparison, I attach another pdf file.

Vladimir.
10 Apr 2018   [#420] In reply to [#419]
Hi Vladimir, could you please describe the DXF bug in more detail?

When I open your DXF file in MoI v4 over here it looks like this:

When I open your PDF file in MoI v4 it looks like this:

DXF in Rhino v5:

DXF in Autodesk online viewer:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
vladimir_dxf_autodesk_online_viewer.jpg  vladimir_dxf_moi.jpg  vladimir_dxf_rhino.jpg  vladimir_pdf_moi.jpg 

10 Apr 2018   [#421] In reply to [#420]
Hi, Michael.
The screenshots show how the CAM program handles vectors from PDF and DXF files.
Vladimir.
11 Apr 2018   [#422] In reply to [#421]
Hi Vladimir, sorry I didn't know it was the direction of the arcs and circles in the DXF that you were referring to about the bug. I've seen some programs miscalculate the actual geometry for arcs in cases where they have a plane normal pointing downwards in Z, I thought that might be what you were seeing.

It does look like MoI is not preserving the arc direction for its DXF output, I'll see about tuning that up.

Thanks for reporting the bug!

- Michael
11 Apr 2018   [#423]
Hi Michael
I am looking forward to the next version to be able to add "Match", "rebuildcrf" and "umwrapcrf" similar to "Rhino" software. These are useful for surface modeling. Thank you!
-Yuan
11 Apr 2018   [#424] In reply to [#423]
Hi Yuan, I would like to add those functions at some point in the future but I'm sorry it is not likely to be for the next version. For now you should plan to still use Rhino for those kinds of surface modeling functions.

- Michael
20 May 2018   [#425] In reply to [#424]
Hi Michael,

I work solely on a laptop and I would imagine that, in this, I am part of a vast and fast growing constituency. Moi3d's pared back UI is more suited than most CAD softs when working with such limited scene real estate; however it would be IMHO great if it was possible to collapse the side bar menu in and out of the scene edge.

The cross & 3 line symbols have become web standards for this and so would be immediately legible to new users.

Also it would be useful to be able to switch between tools menu and scene browser.

I am excited by prospect of the upcoming V4. If you can see some benefit in these suggestions, I wonder if they may be included....at least as an option.

Thanks for all your great work
James

Image Attachments:
UI_sansMenu.png 

Show messages:  1-5  …  346-365  366-385  386-405  406-425  426-445  446-465  466-485  …  566-574