MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V4 Wish List

Show messages:  1-19  …  320-339  340-359  360-379  380-399  400-419  420-439  440-459  …  560-574

8 Dec 2017   [#380]
Metin, no, not mine. It's hexaracts (Instagram).

Thanks Michael, I was just hoping... :-)
12 Dec 2017   [#381]
Hi Michael,
as requested, here my wishes / suggestions for the V4 (8703.14).
Meanwhile I found out, that most of my whishes can be fullfilled by scrips or hidden commands.
That is the rest, possibly there is alreay a solution, but I didn't found it yet.

Wishes Prio 1:
- select all adjacent 2D curves, by clicking on a non selected segment (see 8703.4). Of course the selection can stop, if there is something non linear like a y-connection at the end/beginning of the next segment. Y-connection in between a segment can also be omitted and only the adjacent segment can be taken.
- a simple possibility to deselect / select all snap modes (no deselecting the snap mode itself). So you can in some cases select a distinct snapmode quickly. There could be a control box for all/none in the snap window and also a scripting possibility for that.
- DXF-layer to MOI-styles import (see 8703.4)

Prio 2
- better debugging window options (see 8703.14)
- make the Browser Objects-window also sortable according to the object-list entries (not only alphabetical).
- get the 2D-curve segments type(circle, polyline, etc.) by script

Suggestions: it is more a "thinking about ...":
- make the side-pane and browser window not only selectable "adjacent, inside ..." but also docable and with landscape and portrait mode. I think for example about people, who work with 2 monitors, they could for example use one for the drawing and the other for the side-pane/browser windows.
- maybe an extra window for the selection of the shortcuts. If you have a lot of shortcuts and do not use them daily, sometimes, a graphical selection from a separat window could be quicker, than searching the shortcuts in your options until you are aware of the keys again.

Best Regards,
Paul
12 Dec 2017   [#382] In reply to [#381]
Hi Paul,

re:
> - a simple possibility to deselect / select all snap modes (no deselecting the snap mode itself). So
> you can in some cases select a distinct snapmode quickly. There could be a control box for all/none
> in the snap window and also a scripting possibility for that.

You can do this one currently by doing a right-click on the snap mode. If you right-click on a snap in that menu, it will deselect all the other snaps and leave just that one selected. Later on if you right-click on a snap that is the only active one it will turn all of them back on.

- Michael
13 Dec 2017   [#383] In reply to [#382]
Thank You, Michael, good to know. I wasn't aware of that feature yet ;).

Paul
15 Dec 2017   [#384]
Hi Michael. Thanks for the bug fix, everything works perfectly. I have a question, you can add in the program approximation of the curve by arcs and lines. Or is it difficult?
Vladimir.
15 Dec 2017   [#385] In reply to [#384]
Hi Vladimir, I'm not really sure how difficult an arc fitting mechanism is, I've never made one before. Is it important for it to use the least number of arcs possible?

- Michael
15 Dec 2017   [#386] In reply to [#385]
> Is it important for it to use the least number of arcs possible?

Let this controls the accuracy. You can mix lines and arcs.

Vladimir.
15 Dec 2017   [#387] In reply to [#386]
google of "biarc approximation of nurbs curves" gets some hits...
- B
16 Dec 2017   [#388] In reply to [#385]
Hello Michael. I'm sorry if I wrote somewhere bad, I communicate through an interpreter. If the translation is bad let me know and I will cease to bother you.
Vladimir.
16 Dec 2017   [#389] In reply to [#388]
Hi Vladimir, you didn't write anything bad I'm just not sure how much work is involved and I'd need to do some studying before really knowing any answer for when an arc fitting function could be implemented.

I was also trying to think about where it could be exposed in the UI, there are a few different possibilities like maybe on a more detailed object properties dialog, or maybe as another curve conversion option for DXF export.

- Michael
16 Dec 2017   [#390] In reply to [#389]
Thank you for your attention. Good luck to you.
17 Dec 2017   [#391]
Here is a link to a recent paper, with an algorithm, for fitting arc splines to NURBS:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Xunnian_Yang/publication/3845146_Approximating_NURBS_curves_by_arc_splines/links/594ca7eb458515e70348b782/Approximating-NURBS-curves-by-arc-splines.pdf

- Brian
17 Dec 2017   [#392] In reply to [#391]
Thanks Brian!

- Michael

Message 6925.393 was deleted

17 Dec 2017   [#394] In reply to [#392]
You are welcome Michael.

I'm still reading the paper...
From my limited understanding, the purpose of such a dxf export in arc/line format would be useful?
Maybe tangents of NURBS curve would be exposed to scripting in the future?

- B
17 Dec 2017   [#395] In reply to [#394]
A closer look shows that the paper was uploaded in 2017, but was written in 2000.
There are 2 other similar papers by the author in ~2001, and the paper is cited by other papers.

Piegl & Tiller: https://documents.tips/documents/biarc-approximation-of-nurbs-curves.html

- B
18 Dec 2017   [#396] In reply to [#394]
Hi Brian,

> I'm still reading the paper...

Yeah often time research papers can take a lot of effort just to read and understand.

> From my limited understanding, the purpose of such a dxf export in arc/line format would be useful?

Yes, there are some CNC machines that need to be driven only by arcs for curved pieces and don't deal with spline curves.

> Maybe tangents of NURBS curve would be exposed to scripting in the future?

I'll see if I can cook up some initial curve evaluating methods for the next beta.

- Michael
18 Dec 2017   [#397] In reply to [#396]
Thank you Michael.
Maybe I'll start a new biarc thread.
There is a lot of information on the web.
- Brian
16 Feb 2018   [#398]
a HUUUHGE wishlist ! obj importer as reference ! similar to Topogun (for Michael ref https://youtu.be/_SOCEnTgSns?t=2m21s )!
where i should have my base Hpoly as reference for modeling, some snaps options to draw curves on Hpoly !
i'm not talking about the scripted one that Max did ! (it's making surfaces out of polys - where a poly converted to surface is 16 larger than it should be ->4*4 conversion for a poly) & it's slow, Hpoly wont support, only LP
where it can be used !
*scanned surfaces to draw on top of them
*from zbrush sketches to moi - lot's of users will enjoy it ! since poly modelling is Huge time consuming -> will speed up process *4 or more
*there are more obj (meshes) libraries than stl ones !
*u'r stuff :))
17 Feb 2018   [#399]
- Anti-shell. Instead of shelling out a part, be able to unshell it, essentially making the interior of a part a solid.
- An easier stl import flow. I realize from my earlier posting on the subject that stl import isn't directly supported, but there seem to be workarounds, nothing perfect, but doable (like going through the nodeditor, which I still can't understand or make work, dummy me). I'd love to see something like this incorporated into the next version.
- Parametric MOI!

Show messages:  1-19  …  320-339  340-359  360-379  380-399  400-419  420-439  440-459  …  560-574