MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: V4 Wish List

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-100  …  561-574

27 May 2016   [#21]
I'm sorry, but I didn't find any newer feature suggestion thread for v4.

Anyways, I'd like to see an option for a color axes cross in the viewports. Something like that:

Image Attachments:
axes.png 

27 May 2016   [#22] In reply to [#21]
Hi 3image,

re:
> Anyways, I'd like to see an option for a color axes cross in the viewports. Something like that:

It's possible to set that in the moi.ini file. To do that, go to Options > General > "Edit .ini file" button, and inside the moi.ini file under the [View] section are the following 3 r,g,b color values:

[View]
<....>
AxisIconXColor=160,160,160
AxisIconYColor=160,160,160
AxisIconZColor=160,160,160

Each channel can contain a value between 0 to 255.

- Michael
28 May 2016   [#23] In reply to [#22]
Actually, this is very neat. Didn't know that. Thanks! :-)
31 May 2016   [#24] In reply to [#23]
Something I always wanted to see in cad and modelling packages is user defined reference points that stay attached to the model, for example a plate with 3 holes and each one having a reference point at it's center and when you hover over the reference point you can rotate the object around that point which is also a big aid if you come to animating the model. Degrees of rotation could also be allocated to a reference point.
31 May 2016   [#25] In reply to [#24]
Hi Michael, for the time being you can create your own reference points using the Draw curve > more > Point command.

They are their own individual objects though, if you want them to move with your model you would need to make sure they are selected along with your object so they get transformed with it.

- Michael
6 Jun 2016   [#26]
From Bear 17

- Incorporate import OBJ / STL directly in the basic program (not script) and optimize NURBS interpolation from Polygonal
- Component Management Object Library + component (we can dream!)
- Improvement fillets for the complex shapes
- Integrated management features for editing shots (dashed / dotted lines, thick lines ...)
- Assign a texture (jpg, gif or png) instead of a color. This texture may have a sliding scale / adjustable.
- Record the position of a 3D camera view and be able to find or copy it to another file.
- Register the camera back level on the views above / right / front and you can find it or copy it to another file.
- Have an indicator on the screen to indicate collision objects
- Open up a platform for the exchange and 3DM file storage, accessible directly in Moi3D
- A viewer font / character in Moi3D. For example, if I want to use the font / font wingding "phone icon" ...
The problem is that we must identify the characters in Word and do it under analogism Moi3D
- Make it compatible formatting Excel spreadsheets by copy / paste between two programs (to make a plan cartridge for example)
- automatic tracer lines/curves from image 2D JPG PNG...
6 Jun 2016   [#27] In reply to [#26]
Hi Pilou, wow those are a lot of great wishes, but unfortunately many of them would involve a large amount of work and are probably outside of the scope of what MoI is focused on doing, please remind Bear 17 that it's a focus for MoI to be a simple and easy to use modeling program... Things like a connection to Excel don't really fit within that focus.

A few of those may be possible at some point though.

Maybe more of them could come in the future as plug-ins though.

- Michael
7 Jun 2016   [#28] In reply to [#27]
Hello Michael ,

I prefer to give ideas without setting limits. We must sort the ideas. it remains wishes, only wishes.

I understand that Moi3D must remain simple to use, while providing maximum opportunity. It's a delicate balance.

Moi3D is the only software I have that correctly uses the "touch " my tablet. The V3 is already powerful and indispensable (with Pilou's support !)

- Bear17
7 Jun 2016   [#29] In reply to [#28]
Hi Bear17, no problem! It can be good to get wishes without limits too. I just wanted to make sure your expectations for some of those things wouldn't get too high.

- Michael
9 Jun 2016   [#30]
Hi Michael,

It would be possible to have a command like the "MoveHole" command present in Rhino, in the next release of Moi ?

Or, is there a simple and fast way to do the same thing in the current version of Moi ?

I already know a manual method to do it, and it works on various object i tested.

I follow these steps :

1) extract,via unjoining, the inner surfaces of the hole i want to move
2) untrim, via delete, the hole edges from the object that is "perforated"
3) move the extracted hole surfaces to another location
4) trim the main object with the hole surfaces
5) remove the hole caps from the main object
6) join all together

Is there a faster or better way to do the same thing ?

Have a nice day.

Marco (mkdm).
9 Jun 2016   [#31] In reply to [#30]
Hi Marco, I would like to add more kinds of solid editing tools in MoI in the future but I can't say for sure when they will happen. So I don't know if it would be for the next release of MoI - probably not if I had to guess right now.

For your steps the only other possibility that I can think of at the moment is if your main object is a solid you could try selecting everything and running the Boolean Merge command rather than retrimming it, that might be more convenient.

- Michael
9 Jun 2016   [#32] In reply to [#31]
Hi Michael,

> For your steps the only other possibility that I can think of at the moment is
> if your main object is a solid you could try selecting everything and running
> the Boolean Merge command rather than retrimming it, that might be more convenient.

Thank you very much for your suggestion.
I tried this method and it works fine and it's also a little bit faster then retrimming.
As said by you, this method works only on solids.
In case of manipulating polysurfaces i am forced to use the retrimming.

A little more question regarding solids.

I noticed that creating a simple 3d box object, it's possible to enable solid point editing directly on the object created.
But, if i'm not mistaken, it seems the only solid primitive that has this feature.

My question is : when a solid object can be directly modified using solid control point editing ?
That is, what is needed by an object to be able to be manipulated with solid control point editing ?

Thank your for your help and have a nice day.

Marco (mkdm).
9 Jun 2016   [#33] In reply to [#32]
Hi Marco - a solid can only have control points turned on if each surface in the solid are "naturally trimmed", which means the trimming boundary corresponds to the boundary of the "underlying surface", and each of those underlying surfaces has the same control point structure at their common edges.

That's the case for a box and also things constructed from say sweep or loft (unless capped), but if you take a cylinder for example and use Edit > Separate on it and then turn on control points for all the individual surfaces you'll see the caps on the cylinder have an "underlying surface" that is a 4 point plane and the circular shape of the cap comes from a trim curve that is internal to the surface.

It would not be good to be able to turn on control points for solids that are like that because moving one of the plane's corner points for example would then open up a gap in the solid where the cap and cylinder would not meet up anymore.

This is illustrated and explained in more detail in this FAQ answer:
http://moi3d.com/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Why_does_show_points_work_for_some_objects_but_not_others.3F

- Michael
9 Jun 2016   [#34] In reply to [#33]
Hi Michael,

> This is illustrated and explained in more detail in this FAQ answer:
> http://moi3d.com/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Why_does_show_points_work_for_some_objects_but_not_others.3F

Really i cannot tell you how much i wish to thank you for this clarifying explanations !!

> a solid can only have control points turned on if each surface in the solid are "naturally trimmed",
> which means the trimming boundary corresponds to the boundary of the "underlying surface",
> and each of those underlying surfaces has the same control point structure at their common edges.

So, if i understand correctly, it's like saying that the "solid control points editing" it is only possible
on objects that are made by UNTRIMMED surfaces only.

Is it right ? I hope so.

Nice night,

Marco (mkdm).
9 Jun 2016   [#35] In reply to [#34]
Hi Marco,

> So, if i understand correctly, it's like saying that the "solid control points editing" it is only possible
> on objects that are made by UNTRIMMED surfaces only.

Yes, that's correct.

- Michael
9 Jun 2016   [#36] In reply to [#35]
Ok. Thank you!

Ciao!

Marco (mkdm).
11 Jun 2016   [#37]
"- Record the position of a 3D camera view and be able to find or copy it to another file."

Is there a way to do this now via scripting?

I need something like this now. I'm generating drawings using the Adobe Illustrator export feature. Really great feature by the way!

I have models in different 3dm files. It is next to impossible to have each drawing keep a consistent zoom, orientation & perspective without a way to "save" the 3D Camera vector.
11 Jun 2016   [#38] In reply to [#37]
Hi Lavellotron, yes it is possible to get the location of a camera view by scripting currently, check out here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=5981.2

- Michael
12 Jun 2016   [#39]
Hello Michael,

Can be cool to have a bridge to Keyshot?
The bewel tool can be better....

Love this app a lot !

Thank you again !

Nicolas
12 Jun 2016   [#40] In reply to [#39]
Hi Nicholas, there are so many different rendering programs out there that it's not very feasible for me to work on specialized connections to every single one, it would just take me too much time. In general I'm much more focused on trying to support standard file formats well.

But in the future when I have a more extensive SDK, you could then ask Keyshot if they would work on a bridge type feature.

- Michael

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-100  …  561-574