MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Polygonal Converter.

Show messages:  1-13  …  394-413  414-433  434-453  454-473  474-483

15 Apr 2016   [#454] In reply to [#453]
Thanks you so much for this, Michael!! This is now extremely helpful! Thanks!

Actually super cool to have both options since sometimes i want to have object in the middle when importing in Moi3D but most of the time i really need to be
at original position. Nice.

Once again, thank you! ;)
3 Jul 2016   [#455]
the panel disappears or shows message "unsuppotred polygon type"
3 Jul 2016   [#456] In reply to [#455]
Hi glmr, please post the 3DM model file that you are trying to smooth when you see the error.

My guess though is that you have some faces in your object with 5 or more boundary edges on them. The converter will not work on that type of geometry, I think it requires all faces to have either 3 or 4 sides (triangles or quads).

- Michael
4 Jul 2016   [#457] In reply to [#456]
this one. it is not an inported model, but just an extrusion from .ai file

Image Attachments:
Untitled polygon.jpg 

4 Jul 2016   [#458] In reply to [#457]
Hi glmr, well I can see right away that you've got a top face on your extrusion which has 24 holes in it, which right there is not suitable for subdivision smoothing.

In order to do sub-d smoothing, your object needs to be made up only of 3 or 4 sided faces with no inner holes in any of them at all. So instead of one single face on the top with trimmed holes in it, the top part of an object like that needs to be tiled and made up of a bunch of smaller 4 sided faces that sort of flow around the holes.

Also you'd typically have an angular cage-like object as the base object to be subdivided, with all edges just being line segments, not starting out with curvy outlines like you've got there.

Sub-d modeling is a really different approach from a drawing based one like you're showing there.

- Michael
5 Jul 2016   [#459] In reply to [#457]
Hello,

try to export the file to .obj-format to get triangles and quads. Then reimport the result with the obj-importer written by Max Smirnov. After that - run the script:-)

Have a nice day
Karsten
31 Oct 2016   [#460] In reply to [#422]

Hi Max,

can you help in install your subdivid beta9.

I have copied all the files (new importobj also) in the commands folder, but nothing happened.

Thank you for your help and incredible work in the created of subdivide surfacece.

31 Oct 2016   [#461] In reply to [#460]
Hi gara,

Did you install a shortcut key in MoI Options icon?
For example: Select Options / Shortcut keys,
and add a new entry of your choice, such as Alt+F in first column, then _Subdiv_beta9 in the next column.

or for example, Alt+/ _Subdiv_beta9

The prefix _ must match the prefix of the _Subdiv_beta9.htm and .js files. _ is not required, but its presence or absence must match.

Then close and open MoI again, load a solid polygon, such as Box, select it, and type in the shortcut key combo,
for example hold down the Alt key and type F.

(I now use Max's custom ui for Ext.scripts, instead of shortcut keys, and also use _ prefix for the non-basic MoI scripts)
Either method, or both methods may be used.

- Brian
31 Oct 2016   [#462] In reply to [#461]

Thanks Brian,

now it works!

I had miss the step to close and open again MOI

31 Oct 2016   [#463]

I have imported a simple object like a cube, and the obj importer works, but as I apply the subdivision and change the value with the slider appear an error, and if I click done the object disappear.

31 Oct 2016   [#464] In reply to [#463]
Hi gara, the sub-d plug-in requires the object's faces to be quads or triangles, meaning all faces should have 3 or 4 boundary edges on them.

If you have something like a 5-sided pentagonal face in your object for example, that object will not be usable by the plugin and you'll get an error and behavior like you describe.

My guess is that's what you're running into, if you're not sure then please post the 3DM model file of your object so I can take a look at your particular case.

You would need to edit the model to be made up of quad faces before you can subdivide it, you can do this by drawing in some lines and using Edit > Trim to cut things into quads, or you also might try exporting out from MoI as an .obj file using the "Output: Quads & Triangles" option (not n-gons) and then importing that back in again.

- Michael
31 Oct 2016   [#465] In reply to [#464]

Hi Michael,

I have use a simple cube for test the plugin, so it has four edge.

I have try also a cube created in moi, but the result is the same

31 Oct 2016   [#466] In reply to [#465]
Hi gara, over here I'm not able to reproduce any problem using a cube drawn in MoI.

What error message are you seeing?

- Michael
31 Oct 2016   [#467]

I don't know if I attach the image in the right way, but the error is this

http://moi3d.com/forum/get_attachment.php?webtag=MOI&hash=140a23dbbe6dcd26987b7844d598d45e&filename=Immagine.jpg

Message 6674.468 was deleted

31 Oct 2016   [#469] In reply to [#467]
Hi gara, are you possibly running an older version of the script? Try getting the latest one named Subdiv_beta9.zip from here: http://moi.maxsm.net/media/files/ .

Also what version of MoI are you running it with?

- Michael
1 Nov 2016   [#470] In reply to [#469]

With this new version works perfectly.

There is a way to check the tangency and curvature?

1 Nov 2016   [#471] In reply to [#470]
Hi gara, MoI does not really have any tangency or curvature analysis tools currently, it's not a focus area for MoI.

But if you turn on metallic lighting and set some specular highlights on under Options > View > "Lighting options", you can look at the reflective highlights to see any major breaks.

- Michael
1 Nov 2016   [#472] In reply to [#471]
Ok, thank you Michael!
1 Nov 2016   [#473] In reply to [#470]
The CCC script shows some curvature lines and radii, for curves.

Show messages:  1-13  …  394-413  414-433  434-453  454-473  474-483