MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Polygonal Converter.

Show messages:  1-14  …  355-374  375-394  395-414  415-434  435-454  455-474  475-483

8 Oct 2015   [#415]
Wow! It looks really good!

P.S. Need to sleep. I'll post the new version tomorrow.
8 Oct 2015   [#416] In reply to [#415]
My self-portrait after seeing the above two postings:

=:0

Ed Ferguson
8 Oct 2015   [#417]
Pretty nail! :)
8 Oct 2015   [#418] In reply to [#415]
Hi Max,

Hope you get a good night :)

I was looking at your road map, and I'm wondering if anything is planned about a possible surface simplification in the future ? By simplification I mean less edges on the sub-d converted model.
If I remember right t-spline for example only build patches between extraordinary vertex (or something close)

In other words a quad ball with 1 level of subdivision or 5 level of subdivision give the same edge structure once converted. Of course the patches get much more control points.

I'm asking that because it will allow us to use tools like partial edges tension in software like modo.

Here for example a partial edge crease (weight) on a low res model (A). This function is very handy.
(B) on the other hand it the freezed version (so the subdivsion is collapsed).

While the polycount on (B) looks insane, the number of extraordinary is the same than (A).
If I convert model (B) in T-spline, I would get the same numbers of patches than Model (A) ... only more complex patches.
9 Oct 2015   [#419]
Hi Max,

The latest SubD incarnation is fantastic - something that perhaps you could add in the future to the SubD toolkit is a Pipe Command similar to the TSplines Pipe SubD Modelling from 3d wireframes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWRvmmhJBRg

More food for thought.

I also agree that this toolset is becoming so advanced that a pay for model to support your efforts are worthy.

Thanks for time input.
9 Oct 2015   [#420]
PaQ
>>if anything is planned about a possible surface simplification in the future ?
I called it surfaces stitching. ( I don't know is that correct name? )
It has been scheduled for version 2.0

AlexPolo
>>I thought about such a script. Maybe someday I'll write it. :)
9 Oct 2015   [#421] In reply to [#420]
Hi Max,

Yes sorry, I didn't understand the 'stitching' term (my bad).
And I'm pretty sure you all ready talk about it previously, but boy, ... this is the longest MoI thread ever created I guess :)

Thanks for you dedicated work !
9 Oct 2015   [#422]
Beta9

- loadMesh function has been improved
- increased overall stability

To get hard edges just split object to several surfaces and then run script.

9 Oct 2015   [#423]
Max, this is absolutely amazing! Can't wait to play with it. :-)
9 Oct 2015   [#424] In reply to [#422]
That's awesome, thanks!
9 Oct 2015   [#425]
Cool trick for the "crease borders" ! :)

Here the French Version (even with the Alert Messages that i have never think to translate! :)
http://moiscript.weebly.com/subdivision.html

@Max
Can you put something on each start lines code (or before each line) where there is something to translate ?
Because it's an hard work to refind all lines that must be translated in your tremondous codes when there is no ressource file!

Thx by advance for that! :)

/* Careful Pilou next line something to translate! */ or something more smaller like /* */ if you want or more smaller if exist or color words or... :)
<moi:CheckButton id="preserveCorners" default="true">Preserve corners</moi:CheckButton>

9 Oct 2015   [#426]
Beta9 update. Fixed bug with polar triangles with open edges.

Frenchy Pilou
>>Can you put something on each start lines code (or before each line) where there is something to translate ?
When I write a complex script I always use a lot of comments. And I delete them automatically before publishing.
So it's not a good idea for me to mark text lines with comments. I'll think what I can do.
10 Oct 2015   [#427] In reply to [#426]
Gave it a pretty good workout Max... Seems to always work well for how I was using it!

Did some fooling around with using SubDivClassic as a means to "un-subdiv" the parts... Seemed a way to "kindof" revert, but with shrinkage...

Wondering if the "shrinkage" is something that is more or less a known factor, or is it more arbitrary with different geometries?

I didn't want to push too deep into your future plans with the tool.....
10 Oct 2015   [#428] In reply to [#426]
<< So it's not a good idea for me to mark text lines with comments. I'll think what I can do.

In my Text editor (NotePad ++) some word to translate are automaticaly in "Bold" but that not explore all! ;)
So maybe number line, color line, extra color word, ...
French version updated! )
http://moiscript.weebly.com/subdivision.html
10 Oct 2015   [#429] In reply to [#422]
Just a question :
In your example, what is the command to directly split surfaces of the solid

is OK to use Separate ?

Also :
It will be great if Subdiv command wasn't destructive like Subdivision Surface in C4D ?

thanks a lot Max !
10 Oct 2015   [#430] In reply to [#429]
<< In your example, what is the command to directly split surfaces of the solid

Maybe Select Face(s): Edit / Separate
Select All
Call _subdiv_beta9
And if you subdivide again the result you have a funny rugby ball! ;) (Not shown following)

Message 6674.431 was deleted

10 Oct 2015   [#432]
Hi Max.

That last post gave me an idea. Love this script. I have already donated some money but plan to give more in the future, Thanks so much. I am teaching 1st year London university students - Moi and Rhino. I think they will love this. My quick "Eames" chair.

Image Attachments:
Capture.JPG 

10 Oct 2015   [#433]
BurrMan
>> Wondering if the "shrinkage" is something that is more or less a known factor, or is it more arbitrary with different geometries?
This "shrink factor" depends on many parameters, and may varies from vertex to vertex. It will not be easy task to revert subdivided shape to its original state.
I'll try to find information about it tomorrow.

Frenchy Pilou
>>So maybe number line, color line, extra color word, ...
I will think about built-in multilanguage support.

Finema
>>is OK to use Separate ?
Yes. This is the best way. I use it too.

3dcnc
Thank you very much! I'm happy that my scripts is useful for you :)
10 Oct 2015   [#434]
I thought this paper might be of interest:

Conversion of trimmed NURBS surfaces to Catmull–Clark subdivision surfaces.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167839614000624

- Brian

Show messages:  1-14  …  355-374  375-394  395-414  415-434  435-454  455-474  475-483