MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: Polygonal Converter.

Show messages:  1-11  …  132-151  152-171  172-191  192-211  212-231  232-251  252-271  …  472-483

20 Feb 2015   [#192] In reply to [#191]
Ok
Thanks PaQ
20 Feb 2015   [#193]
Hello

I get an error if I import a object like known hypo or childhead. Can everyone tell me what is wrong?
Greetings from Bavarian

Image Attachments:
Importobject.JPG 

20 Feb 2015   [#194] In reply to [#193]
I think there is nothing wrong.
If all the errors are recovered, you should see the model imported, and ready to be subdivided (after a join surface command)
20 Feb 2015   [#195] In reply to [#82]
After hearing all the good buzz about this plugin, I'm trying to get it going but after following the instructions of unzipping into the Commands folder and calling the script, I keep getting "ReferenceError: Can't find variable: _subdiv_beta line 1..."

This is MoI v3.0 on Windows 8.1 Pro, I've already set MoI to run as administrator, which didn't help - what am I doing wrong?

I unzipped the htm and js files into the command folder and at first I created a command but now I'm just pressing tab and typing in:

script:_subdiv_beta

script:_Subdiv_Beta();

script:_Subdiv_Beta;

script:_Subdiv_Beta()

None of those variations work for me?

I've tried both the Subdiv_Beta2 and the 0.5.2014 versions - no joy.

I'm also having the same issue with ImportObj - sigh, it's frustrating to see this 3D stuff work for others whereas for me, it seems to never "click"...

Any help appreciated...

-Will
20 Feb 2015   [#196]
Hi everybody! :)

PaQ
>>I've some trouble to convert the oldman in high quality with the B6. The result (after a long computing time) is an half joined model.
Sorry, but I can't help in this case. My script on exit just starts Moi join function. It seems that moi has some problems with this hard job.
You can use this trick: Press Done. Press Cancel after that. You will get separated surfaces. Join surfaces manually, part by part. It works for me.

>>ChildHead.. Generate 524 errors, 474 recovered. While some faces are very distorted, it's a watertight SDS model.... The problem was not the topology, but the scale...
Yes. This model is too small. I used x100 scale factor in the ImportObj script - everything works great. I'll think how to solve this problem.

Frenchy Pilou
>>Problem with this solid ! (from Sketchup) Disapears!
In the last loadMesh I broke "unsupported face" alert. Will fix it today.
20 Feb 2015   [#197] In reply to [#195]
Hi Will,

I'm used to launch the script with a key shortcut.
If you are using the command line, just type _Subdiv_beta6 (if you are using the last version of the script)
20 Feb 2015   [#198] In reply to [#195]
Hi Will,

you need to install the latest version of Subdiv script
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6674.173
Unzip files to commands folder, press Tab, enter: _subdiv_beta6

P.S. ;)
20 Feb 2015   [#199]
Okay thanks so much, guys - my SANITY has been restored!

This is an absolutely WONDERFUL plugin for MoI - yes, whenever that Paypal button is in place, make sure I see that link!

Max, you are The MAGNIFICENT!

-Will
20 Feb 2015   [#200] In reply to [#193]
Imported the hippo head last night. Ran Blend on the open eyes and neck. Join. Subdivision6 worked well.

- Brian
20 Feb 2015   [#201]
ImportObj 1.0a. Test build.
Added function for scale and position normalization.
Use "_ImportObj exact" command to disable this function.
21 Feb 2015   [#202] In reply to [#201]
Hi Max,

Thanks for the update, this normalization helps to successfully load many of my test models now ... wish there was a way to automatically scale the model back to his original size to avoid
model exchange issue between software.

Here are 2 models, the complete hypo and a rhino. (Hypo.obj and Rhino.obj)
Both models loads right with the new ImportObj, and I can join them as solids.
There are all quad and tris (no ngones), however Subdiv fails. Maybe the polycount is too high ?

Btw I just want to point an other surface smoothness issue. As I said previously poles are really top quality for my need, but the overall surface smoothness is still a little bit off.
SubdSmoothTest.rar

The issue is already visible in MoI viewport (especially if you lower the preview angle in the display option), but I have also export the result back in modo, with a really good mesh setting :

As I side note, I know that the mesh flow here can look very unusual. Actually the structure is very simple, is you manage to stitching surfaces with ordinary edges, you will end up with some sort of twisted cube.
If you manage to get better smoothing surface from this kind of topology, it means that 'we' could use tools like edges weight in our sds modeling package, we just had to freeze the geometry before export.
21 Feb 2015   [#203] In reply to [#202]
Hi PaQ,
thank you for your bugreports :) It really helps me.

>>wish there was a way to automatically scale the model back to his original size to avoid model exchange issue between software
Next version of the script will use constant scale factor (10x, 100x etc.) It will be easy to restore original size of the model.

>>There are all quad and tris (no ngones), however Subdiv fails. Maybe the polycount is too high ?
There are four intersected faces in the rhino model. When moi joins them together it splits edges of this faces. Those quads has 5 or 6 edges. I'll try to solve this problem in the future versions.
>>Hypo..
I still have problems with loadMesh function. It's not stable with imported models which has bad structure.

>> Btw I just want to point an other surface smoothness issue.
Oh, it's a bug of the new loadMesh function :) Fixed. Please check the new version.
21 Feb 2015   [#204] In reply to [#203]
You are welcome Max, I'm glad if that helps you.
Indeed a constant factor will help a lot to restore the initial size.

B6.1 works perfect now too, thanks a lot (happy it was 'just' a bug !)

In attachment a simple scenario where continuity in lost. I would never use this kind of topology for a real project,
but maybe it's still interesting for you !

24 Feb 2015   [#205] In reply to [#204]
Thanks Max for this absolutely amazing tool!

Michael T.
25 Feb 2015   [#206] In reply to [#204]
PaQ
>>In attachment a simple scenario where continuity in lost.
I know about this. My script doesn't support non-polar triangles yet.
Right now I have another plans :)
1. Join splitted surfaces near extraordinary vertices.
2. Make support of opened surfaces (boundaries)
3. Overall surface optimization.
26 Feb 2015   [#207]
Max,

Where would I find this command?
>>Use "_ImportObj exact" command to disable this function.

Michael T.
26 Feb 2015   [#208] In reply to [#206]
Hi Max,

The plan sounds good :)
27 Feb 2015   [#209] In reply to [#207]
Hi Michael

>>Where would I find this command?
"exact" - it is not a script. It's a script parameter.
Type or bind command: _ImportObj exact

Last version of the ImportObj: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6674.201
27 Feb 2015   [#210] In reply to [#209]
Thanks Max!

Michael T.
9 Mar 2015   [#211]
Going off Michael's example in another thread, I wanted to make a shape by joining two solids (created with sweeps) using a loft. Works well.

Next I'll have to try making a real object.

Ed Ferguson

Image Attachments:
subDexample1.jpg  subDexample2.jpg  subDwood.jpg 

Show messages:  1-11  …  132-151  152-171  172-191  192-211  212-231  232-251  252-271  …  472-483