MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: New fillet stuff for variable radius

Show messages:  1-5  6-25  26-40

2 Mar 2014   [#6]
Appetizing!

It's a pity that don't yet existing in the Nurbs libraries you use!
So some works avoid ! :)
2 Mar 2014   [#7] In reply to [#1]
Hi Michael,

Great tool Michael.Easy and fast,as moi3d is in generally is.Keep up the good work.By the way,when will be the new beta version of MOI3d V3 ready.

- Nikola
2 Mar 2014   [#8] In reply to [#5]
Hi Danny,

> Is it possible when hitting 'Current Set' for it to be persistent and each value to be
> editable with the preview updating with each change? would be nice for fine tuning,
> just a thought.

Yeah if I understand you correctly that is how it works - by changing the "current set" you can go back and adjust the radius value from a previous point set or the initial edge set (which is set #1).

Basically the current set controls which set the radius control is actually editing - when you change the current set it will stay on that set as you tweak the radius value and show you the preview, it will only change to a different set if you change the current set again or if you make a new one.

I think that's the same as what you're asking about - let me know if that's not quite right.

- Michael
2 Mar 2014   [#9] In reply to [#7]
Hi Nikola,

> By the way,when will be the new beta version of MOI3d V3 ready.

Maybe another week or so... ? I'm trying to jam in a few last features before wrapping up v3.

- Michael
2 Mar 2014   [#10]
Super Nice
2 Mar 2014   [#11] In reply to [#9]
Wow! Great!
Does it support zero radius values?
2 Mar 2014   [#12] In reply to [#11]
Hi Max,

> Does it support zero radius values?

Sometimes... But it seems to be fairly problematic with that a lot of times. It seems to get in some difficulty with the "trim original faces" filleting stage. I'm going to do a bit of checking to see if I can possibly tune something about that up or also sometimes a small value like 0.001 instead of zero seems to work ok.

- Michael
2 Mar 2014   [#13]
Also I have a fix for filleting separate from this which will stop fillets from splitting into half lengthwise (like 2 long strips) which could happen sometimes previously.

- Michael
2 Mar 2014   [#14] In reply to [#8]
Hi Michael,

I was thinking more like the picture below however I could see it could get a bit messy GUI wise.

Can we have an indication of which set we are editing, like when picking a set the points show of that set?

Image Attachments:
Varifillet_01.JPG 

2 Mar 2014   [#15]
That's a nice surprise, Michael and a lovely implementation as usual.
Thanks very much!

Martin.
2 Mar 2014   [#16]
Now this is a nice addition, thanks Michael.

I love this, the most fast and quick and amazing fillet moi can do.
2 Mar 2014   [#17]
Brilliant! My main feature wish for MoI is becoming reality :-)
Going to zero or very small values - that would solve a lot of problems here.
I guess that it also works for G1-G2-G3?

Would it theoretically be possible to define "stop points" if only part of an edge should be filleted?

Now my only major wish left is 64 Bit, but I'll happily wait for V4 for that ;-)

Cheers and thanks!

Tom
2 Mar 2014   [#18] In reply to [#17]
Sweet, thanks for the update !
2 Mar 2014   [#19] In reply to [#18]
Love-it!
2 Mar 2014   [#20]
A really clever solution, nice work!

I've been wishing for this for a long time.

Concerning points, will they be deletable?
Would id be a good idea to have some kind of visual indicator of the fillet points created?

I have know idea what amount work it would involve, but if it's an easy thing, having adjustable on-screen handles would be very cool.

Marc
2 Mar 2014   [#21] In reply to [#14]
Hi Danny,

> I was thinking more like the picture below however I could see it could get
> a bit messy GUI wise.

Ok, I see what you mean now... But I'm not quite so sure how awkward that would be to have a combined "set active set" menu and "edit any set" thing all trying to be packaged together like that.

> Can we have an indication of which set we are editing, like when picking a set
> the points show of that set?

I'll see if I can do something for this with the current system. This is another thing that would maybe be a bit awkward on an inline editor in the popup menu, I guess you would be talking then about switching things on screen just when keyboard focus went into each field?

- Michael
2 Mar 2014   [#22] In reply to [#17]
Hi Tommy,

> I guess that it also works for G1-G2-G3?

Yes, it does work with those modes.

> Would it theoretically be possible to define "stop points" if only part of an
> edge should be filleted?

This is not normally done in filleting because trying to suddenly stop a regular fillet opens up a hole when there is an abrupt change from a curved fillet piece back to the regular portion of the object.

If you want to use variable radius to handle that hole issue by having the radius shrink to zero at that spot, then you could potentially try that by cutting the edge into multiple edges using the Edit > Trim command with the "Add trim points" option. Add a trim point at your "stop point" so it's split into different edges there. This does not seem to work very well though, it's not really something that the fillet engine is expecting to deal with.

- Michael
2 Mar 2014   [#23]
Great work, Michael! This will be a welcome addition for a LOT of the projects I work on!
Will this be in the next beta?
2 Mar 2014   [#24] In reply to [#20]
Hi Marc,

> Concerning points, will they be deletable?

Sorry, no probably not. If you don't want a set of points you've already defined you would just need to cancel out the fillet and start a new one.

> Would id be a good idea to have some kind of visual indicator of the fillet points created?

Yeah I'll see if I can put up the current set of points on screen.

> I have know idea what amount work it would involve, but if it's an easy thing, having adjustable on-screen handles would be very cool.

Unfortunately that involves a whole lot of work and much more fundamental changes to how regular filleting would work. I'd like to have something like that in the future at some point but it's not what I'm trying to get done right now.

- Michael
2 Mar 2014   [#25] In reply to [#22]
Great - thanks Michael!

Cheers,

Tom

Show messages:  1-5  6-25  26-40