MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: New fillet stuff for variable radius

Show messages:  1-2  3-22  23-40

2 Mar 2014   [#23]
Great work, Michael! This will be a welcome addition for a LOT of the projects I work on!
Will this be in the next beta?
2 Mar 2014   [#24] In reply to [#20]
Hi Marc,

> Concerning points, will they be deletable?

Sorry, no probably not. If you don't want a set of points you've already defined you would just need to cancel out the fillet and start a new one.

> Would id be a good idea to have some kind of visual indicator of the fillet points created?

Yeah I'll see if I can put up the current set of points on screen.

> I have know idea what amount work it would involve, but if it's an easy thing, having adjustable on-screen handles would be very cool.

Unfortunately that involves a whole lot of work and much more fundamental changes to how regular filleting would work. I'd like to have something like that in the future at some point but it's not what I'm trying to get done right now.

- Michael
2 Mar 2014   [#25] In reply to [#22]
Great - thanks Michael!

Cheers,

Tom
2 Mar 2014   [#26] In reply to [#23]
Hi Ron,

> Will this be in the next beta?

Yup, that's the plan!

- Michael
2 Mar 2014   [#27] In reply to [#1]
Great work Michael ...
Thanks,
eric
2 Mar 2014   [#28]
How couples of points can we put along the fillet ?
(if I understand how all that work, that is not sure! :)
2 Mar 2014   [#29] In reply to [#28]
Hi Pilou,

> How couples of points can we put along the fillet ?
> (if I understand how all that work, that is not sure! :)

You can put any number of points, the points go on the original edges. But usually you'll want to be fairly sparing with the number of points used because using too many too tightly packed together will make for a sort of "bunching" effect:

- Michael

Image Attachments:
var_radius_bunching.jpg 

2 Mar 2014   [#30] In reply to [#29]
Thx! All is clear now!
Even your last example who can be a wishing form in some new designs! :)
2 Mar 2014   [#31]
BWAHHH!!!! =-D

A man journey's out of the village for a few days and a luau is thrown without him!
What a great surprise.

You are awesome, Michael!!!
Oh, I so can't wait to play with variable fillets.

So, question:

1) since points can't be deleted (if we flub), so I'm guessing you can re-position them?
2) will it work on fillets that branch off from intersections? What I mean is, will this work on all the complicated places fillets usually work?
3) The question asked earlier... but can you assign any type of rounding; G1-3 separately on each control set?
4) Okay, and one I thought about a long time ago... can the variability be as simply as filleting just one edge corner, where you can start at one radius and end at another.. looking kinda conical?

Okay, so keep up the great work! - thanks!
2 Mar 2014   [#32] In reply to [#31]
Hi Mike,

> 1) since points can't be deleted (if we flub), so I'm guessing you can re-position them?

Nope, if you have put them in the wrong place then you'd just need to cancel the command and start a new one. Same thing as if you selected the wrong edges to fillet.

> 2) will it work on fillets that branch off from intersections? What I mean is, will this work on
> all the complicated places fillets usually work?

Well, it tries to do it in the same places, but it seems that they're a bit more finicky when it comes to intersections though.

> 3) The question asked earlier... but can you assign any type of rounding; G1-3 separately on each control set?

No, currently the setting for whether doing round or G1-3 applies to all the fillets being done, there isn't currently any way to assign different rounding styles to different fillet sets. Maybe in the future I can add something in for multiple "edge sets" as well as "point sets" that might be a better fit for also assigning these per-edge properties.

> 4) Okay, and one I thought about a long time ago... can the variability be as simply as filleting just one edge
> corner, where you can start at one radius and end at another.. looking kinda conical?

You can do the "just one edge" thing, but it currently does an "ease-in/ease-out" type blending on it so it doesn't look quite conical, it looks like this:

I'm trying to see about maybe fitting in a "linear" option you could enable somewhere to get a conical shape, or also maybe if you're doing an edge with only 2 stations along it I should just do a linear blend in that case, I haven't quite figured that out yet.

- Michael

Image Attachments:
var_radius_one_edge.jpg 

3 Mar 2014   [#33]
Wow it looks really great
3 Mar 2014   [#34] In reply to [#1]
Awesome stuff Michael...

Peace,
Rich_Art. ;-)
3 Mar 2014   [#35] In reply to [#32]
What an awesome effect!

Thanks Michael.

So, maybe a "linear" option for each point (or point set)?

Also, will this also work for Chamfer?
3 Mar 2014   [#36] In reply to [#35]
Hi Mike,

> So, maybe a "linear" option for each point (or point set)?

Yeah maybe something like that, it has yet to be determined.

> Also, will this also work for Chamfer?

No, probably not for v3. This could happen in the future sometime though.

- Michael
6 Mar 2014   [#37]
Woaw !
Really happy that it will be in version 3 and available soon.

Thanks Michael :-)
3 Nov 2017   [#38] In reply to [#1]
I am trying to use the variable radius feature, but I can't use large radii, I used the proportions of the instruction movie above, but it fails. what am I doing wrong?

Attachments:
filletttest.3dm

Image Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 11.10.37.jpg  Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 11.16.54.jpg 

3 Nov 2017   [#39] In reply to [#38]
Hi wim, you didn't do anything wrong, it's just a bug in filleting where it's having a problem in the step where it tries to trim away the area of the main object to make a place to attach the fillet. When that happens the fillet surface will still be generated so you have something to work with and you can use Edit > Separate on your main object to break it into individual surfaces and then use Edit > Trim on each surrounding surface to cut it with the edge of the fillet to finish the model.

- Michael
3 Nov 2017   [#40] In reply to [#39]
OK. it works till a certain extent, I am afraid.
I'll wait for the bug fix ;-)

cheers
wim

Image Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 16.08.15.jpg 

Show messages:  1-2  3-22  23-40