MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: CustomUI

Show messages:  1-14  …  255-274  275-294  295-314  315-334  335-354  355-374  375-394  …  515-522

8 Jul 2018   [#315] In reply to [#313]
Hi Burr, for the next v4 beta MoI will check if there is an appdata directory contained inside of the main one (alongside "commands", "ui", "docs") and if it finds that you've created one there it will use that as the appdata location instead of the regular place.

So that will be a way to automatically redirect anything that's using appdata to be contained within the main program folder.

- Michael
8 Jul 2018   [#316] In reply to [#315]
That'll do!!!

Thank you Mr. Gibson.....
8 Jul 2018   [#317] In reply to [#315]
As an afterthought, have you considered some type of redirects mechanism thats user manageable? Like an ini section or something...

All that future developement by 3rd's comes to mind...
8 Jul 2018   [#318] In reply to [#317]
Hi Burr, well I was thinking about that but it's kind of a "chicken & egg" problem because by default the moi.ini file is located in the appdata folder.

So that's pretty awkward to try to have something in the moi.ini file that also tried to store its own location...

- Michael
13 Jul 2018   [#319] In reply to [#318]
I am afraid this is going to be a big request so please bare with me. MOI is freaking amazing but as it seems each one of us is using it completely customised. And that's completely fine but through years it still has certain limitations we have overcome.

One of this things is 'Object library'. As this addon is basically asset management it should be considered one the one of the most important aspects of our workflow. Sure, it works great but unfortunately we are still missing some key features.

First of them is 'scale' value alongside align options as you can see on the image. I simply cannot express how much I miss the control the size of added object by the certain number value. Because of that I have duplicates of same objects which brings me to another problem.

My library of objects is now so big MOI that simply cannot open the shelf without that 'infinite' scroll. It also became really slow. I've already changed my library fonts to their smallest values and down-scaled thumbs. I am out of ideas now so yeah, we basically need the support for nested folders / navigation.

Unfortunately Max the author told me due that's currently impossible through our short email corresponds. 'Unfortunately, at the moment I can't implement support of dynamic folders due of MoI limitations. Later I'll ask Michael to add this functions to MoI Javascript API.'

Also even though Max is an author of this script I also consider asset management one of the key feature of MOI. That's why I urge you Michael to introduce support on your side as well for assets management. I cannot thank Max enough for what he did so far but I cannot expect he would be able to do it all the time.

Btw. I've also talked to my other colleges I know use Moi and basically we all agree on these points. I hope you would not mind for bringing this up, as I am working on the big and complex designs it simply became a huge usability problem to me.

I know I'm asking a lot and you already have your hands full in bringing v4 out of beta. I just think this one of the most important aspects of it.

Thank you!

Image Attachments:
unnamed (1).png  unnamed (2).png  unnamed.png 

13 Jul 2018   [#320] In reply to [#319]
Max's plugin already supports custom folders-- and IIRC, you can put them wherever you like.

FWIW, I don't think MoI's suppport of asset management is "one of the most important aspects of our workflow." In fact, I almost never use it unless it's for Kitbashing, which is a very niche effort.

I recommend trying OnShape or other full engineering CAD package if you're looking for asset management. MoI's stated intent is for artists, not engineers.
13 Jul 2018   [#321] In reply to [#319]
Hi agonyii,

> MOI is freaking amazing but as it seems each one of us is using it completely customised.

I can understand why you would think this but it's not at all accurate, there is a large segment of the MoI user base that you're just not being exposed to, especially beginners who have no previous experience with CAD or any kind of 3D modeling because everything else they have attempted to use has been too complicated for them to get started with.

> I hope you would not mind for bringing this up, as I am working on the big and complex designs
> it simply became a huge usability problem to me.

The primary focus of MoI up to now has been to make it quick and easy to make simple CAD models. Your target of working on big and complex designs is not aligned with that and so that's why you're running into problems. MoI just hasn't been specifically designed to do what you're using it for.

This will not be the case forever though, I do expect to gradually add functions to help with complex designs like you are working with. But this is a tricky process because it will always remain a priority for MoI to retain the ease of use and friendliness for less experienced people.

There have been a couple of significant steps forward for complex projects in v4 already - 64-bit support and faster file loading fall into this category.

The 64-bit support also required a rewrite to have a native Mac build as well. That ended up being about a 3 year effort that is still has a few loose ends to tie up even now. So there has been a very substantial investment of development time in an area beneficial to complex projects in V4 already. I'm sorry but there will not be time in the V4 time frame to add asset management in addition to that, it is something that I would like to work on in future releases though.

I'm sorry that MoI's overall design is not directly aligned with what you need it to do, maybe it is just not the right tool (at this time) for the job you need to do and some other progrram that puts a priority on complex designs instead of a priority on ease of use like MoI does would work better for you?

Thanks, - Michael
16 Jul 2018   [#322] In reply to [#1]
Tremendous helper this Script! Thanks a lot
18 Jul 2018   [#323]
My apologies if this subject has been covered before, but simply put : with MOI3D ver4.0 I can't seem to be able to make a snapshot.
Is it possible? I can't seem to find a script addon or anything relating to it for ver 4.0 . It works brilliantly for v3. Can anybody help?

Cheers
18 Jul 2018   [#324] In reply to [#323]
Hi bluindigo, please see here for a script you can set up on a shortcut key to make a screen capture:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1049.5

- Michael
21 Jul 2018   [#325]
Hello,
I just tried to install the customUi for the first time. I followed the instructions and placed the files in the roaming/moi folder but nothing comes up. I'm on Moi3D V3 if that makes a difference.
21 Jul 2018   [#326] In reply to [#325]
Hi ICMZ, those instructions only work for MoI v4, for MoI v3 you'll need to use the instructions on the first message of this thread and use CustomUI.1.03.win.mac.zip which is attached at the bottom of that message.

- Michael
9 Aug 2018   [#327]
just installed Moi3d V3 with Custom UI on another PC. everything works exept Snapshot. what's wrong?
9 Aug 2018   [#328] In reply to [#327]
Hi glmr,

> just installed Moi3d V3 with Custom UI on another PC. everything works
> exept Snapshot. what's wrong?

Probably due to restricted permissions, when launching MoI try right-clicking and use "Run as administrator", does it work ok then?

- Michael
10 Aug 2018   [#329] In reply to [#328]
yes, it does! thank you
7 Sep 2018   [#330]
Hey, Max Smirnov!

I've been having an issue with CustomUI that I haven't been able to wrap my head around solving. When I create a new library location that isn't the default object location within the appdata folder, the thumbnails/snapshots taken of the objects in question fail to draw in the UI, however the Object folder continues to work just fine.

I've attached a screenshot showing you the details of my problems. I'm already running MoI with administrator privileges, and I haven't altered the HTM files other than the addition of the a 2nd library location. I'll attach that file as well in case I've somehow entered the path incorrectly.

Attachments:
ObjLibrary.cfg.htm

Image Attachments:
Screenshot 2018-09-07 15.16.11.png 

7 Sep 2018   [#331] In reply to [#330]
Hi LocusDio, if I remember right the icons are displayed in the HTML UI using the moi://appdata protocol . So you probably need to have them located under the appdata folder for them to be loaded.

- Michael
7 Sep 2018   [#332] In reply to [#331]
Thank you so much, Michael. I was hoping to avoid having them be saved in the appdata folder, as i have this folder synced with my NAS so i have the ability to access the files anywhere. If this is my only solution, however, I'll gladly accept it.

Thank you so much for your reply, I appreciate the help.
7 Sep 2018   [#333] In reply to [#332]
Hi LocusDio, you might try putting in a symlink inside of appdata that links to your other folder. See if this helps:
https://lifehacker.com/5496652/how-to-use-symlinks-in-windows

- Michael
7 Sep 2018   [#334] In reply to [#333]
I can't thank you enough for that information, Michael. Works flawlessly!

Show messages:  1-14  …  255-274  275-294  295-314  315-334  335-354  355-374  375-394  …  515-522