MoI discussion forum
MoI discussion forum

Full Version: STL save as assembly

Show messages:  1-20  21-28

12 Nov 2013   [#1]
Michael,
I just installed a new 3d printer at work and it uses the STL format to get geometry into their software. If i save as from MOI to STL it does not preserve part separation on the meshes. To get around this I have to export a .step from MOI, bring it into Solidworks and then export from Solidworks as an assembly in STL (this save each part of the assembly as its own STL file). When going into object studio I then import from step all the STL's for the assembly and it re-assembles on import keeping meshes separate.

Is there an option that can be put in MOI to generate separate STL's for each component as an assembly so I don't have to go through Solidworks?
12 Nov 2013   [#2]
Have you tried Exporting individual items from MoI, rather than doing a 'Save as'?

Martin.
12 Nov 2013   [#3] In reply to [#1]
Looks like object studio has a method for extracting meshes from a NURBS format. MoI isnt storing meshes in it's 3dm format.

I wonder if the exporter in MoI could be made to export an stl for each solid? So you may end up with 150 (or however many components) stls in a folder or something.
12 Nov 2013   [#4] In reply to [#3]
I'm exporting parts from MOI as .stl files and 3D printing them without a problem.
Just select the part, then use export.
12 Nov 2013   [#5] In reply to [#4]
"""""""Just select the part, then use export."""""""""""""""

What he's saying though, is if he has 100 parts and does the export, the "stl" is one solid stl file with no individual parts selectable...........
12 Nov 2013   [#6] In reply to [#1]
Hi Grendel, I think it should be possible to cook up a script that would export a separate STL file for every object, I'll see what I can do.

There isn't really any proper way to store multiple parts within one single STL file itself, the STL format was mainly intended to store just one solid in the file, it just has a big heap of separate triangles in it with no connection information. If parts don't touch it might be possible for a receiving application to sort things out but if they touch it's pretty difficult to figure out which triangles were supposed to go with which particular part.

- Michael
12 Nov 2013   [#7] In reply to [#1]
Hi Grendel, I've attached a plug-in which I think may help you.

To install it, copy the attached file SaveMultiSTL.js into the \commands sub-folder. That will a make a new command named SaveMultiSTL available, set up a shortcut key with SaveMultiSTL for the command name and then when you trigger it, it will prompt you for a filename and then output each object in your model out to a separate STL file with a number incremented on it.

So for example if you have 3 objects and you give it a filename of c:\files\file.stl it will generate 3 files in that folder named file1.stl, file2.stl and file3.stl

The only downside is that I thought you probably did not want the mesh options dialog to pop up for every separate object that is being saved, so it suppresses that and instead uses a hard coded setting of Angle = 5. You can edit that at the top of the file to change it to something else if you want.

I hope this will help out.

- Michael

Attachments:
SaveMultiSTL.js

13 Nov 2013   [#8]
BurrMan - You are correct that is exactly the case regarding the multiple stl requirement

Mike - As BurrMan points out I need the multiple stl files as my printer prints in multiple materials at once and when I import a single stl assembly there is some overlap where shells touch from the components that share a boundary with another shell. Objet studio just lumps everything together and cannot separate the shells internal to the program

Michael - That is exactly what I needed, thank you for your help. I will try this out when I get to the shop this morning and confirm it works. I will also post the result of the print as well.
13 Nov 2013   [#9] In reply to [#8]
Hi Grendel,

I'm just curious about you 3d printing an assembly, are you printing the object as an assembly or are you laying out separate pieces of the assembly on the printing plate?

-
13 Nov 2013   [#10]
I am printing an assembly as a unit on the plate, here is the progress from plate, to support removal to final clean up

Image Attachments:
image.jpeg  image2.jpeg  image3.jpeg 

13 Nov 2013   [#11] In reply to [#10]
way to push the print.... Nice piece Grendel. Wow!
13 Nov 2013   [#12] In reply to [#8]
Hi Grendel, wow that's some pretty sophisticated printing with multiple materials and components all produced at once, cool!

- Michael
13 Nov 2013   [#13]
I'll post more detailed ones later. The script worked perfectly, thank you Michael. I output a 507 piece model using it and it just chewed through it no problem and imported perfectly with all the mesh separation.
13 Nov 2013   [#14] In reply to [#13]
Hi Grendel,
I used to work with American Marine Services who sent off a couple newt deepworkers and pilots to the gulf area. Maybe they are installing some of your devices!

Anyway..........
13 Nov 2013   [#15] In reply to [#14]
All my subsea equipment gets deployed between 500-12,000ft so we use unmanned ROV's for physical interaction if the primary control system has a problem. When I was in the Navy I worked at the Deep Submergence Unit and we had a couple Newt suits, Avalon, Mystic, Sea Cliff, Turtle and unmanned ROV's.
13 Nov 2013   [#16] In reply to [#15]
""I worked at the Deep Submergence Unit """""""""""

Intense stuff.... :o

Take care.
14 Nov 2013   [#17]
OK, here is a telescopic riser joint I am using as a classroom aid for my training program..

An actual TJ in service onboard an offshore rig. It is 65 feet long and 75,000lbs.

The render of one made with MOI

The build of the classroom model

The class model after clean up

Image Attachments:
image.jpeg  image1.jpeg  IMG_0518.JPG  Shaffer TJ render.jpg 

14 Nov 2013   [#18] In reply to [#17]
Me likey!!!

Is that render still Carrara?
14 Nov 2013   [#19] In reply to [#18]
Yes it is....old habits die hard
15 Nov 2013   [#20] In reply to [#19]
I would have to say I don't think I've seen anybody render with Carrara as well as you..... I wish I was a fly on the wall in your work area for a bit....

Thanks for sharing.

Show messages:  1-20  21-28